glueguy
glueguy Dork
2/7/19 10:44 a.m.

The hobby shop that hobiercr and I share with a couple others was secured by a DIY alarm solution.  We had Lowes Iris to alert us to motion, and a web camera system for self-monitoring.  For $10 a month it was a passive monitor.  Motion detected, the system would send a phone call and text as an alert.  Look at the cameras to decide whether to call for help or not.  It was cheap and simple.  Lowes announced that Iris is shutting down in March.  It was working just as desired.  We got a lot of self-inflicted false alarms - friends/employees coming over or plain forgetfulness to turn it off before opening the door.  I wouldn't want that going to an actively monitored service.  And $10 a month was really nice.

What's another alternative for us?

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
2/7/19 10:59 a.m.

Scout or Eufy.

I have a Eufy system at home. It's been getting better and better each update. At the moment, Eufy doesn't have motion sensors, just the cameras and door sensors, but the cameras issue the push notification.

The primary reason I use it is because (while there is a monitored and cloud option) you can choose to have it store video locally only then access it via an app and forthcoming web portal.

I do have to admit that the 'charge once for 3 hours once per year' batteries are freaking sweet.

Scout, on the other hand, has cameras, motion sensors, glass break, and door alarms. You can self monitor or subscribe for a month of monitoring which is what their primary attraction was when I was looking.

Both are completely wireless.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
2/7/19 11:03 a.m.

I've thought about SimpliSafe a good bit. All the sensors are wireless, so setup is quick. Downside is, you're going to replace sensors or batteries every year or two, can't remember if they are removable or not. Overall it seems like a decent system. $25/month I believe, and you can have an app to arm/disarm remotely. 

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/7/19 11:03 a.m.

Im a fan of Simplisafe

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/7/19 12:16 p.m.

I've got a script that I wrote that runs on a Raspberry Pi. It will send a text to my phone whenever a contact is closed. You could get a Raspberry Pi and a motion sensor and set it up with that script and it would cost you $0 for monitoring as long as you have internet access at the hobby shop. The text is sent using an email address - most carriers have an email to text gateway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wAWZxYnXkrkHdpnMnG27tqRgrdPpILH0BGhdBql6DQVMZqFwJgK5F40RtSD17sL5