infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
1/22/21 3:19 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

New York's Finger Lakes wine country is only about a 4 hour drive, if I remember correctly, and the Niagara Falls wine area is roughly a 3 hour drive, so if Ohio wine isn't good then we're still set!  Well, at least I would be, The Wife will have to wait until after she has the baby.  

That's a good tidbit of info about the eastern/western attitudes.  I've heard there was a difference but never quite what it was.  

Maybe it's because I grew up in Florida, but snow has always had that magical feeling to me.  I love shoveling snow.  I can't explain exactly why.  Shoveling all the snow in Baltimore during the blizzard a few years back (roughly 3 feet of snow) was awesome.  I can't wait to have snow again.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/22/21 3:39 p.m.
Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
1/22/21 3:44 p.m.

In reply to infinitenexus :

Cool I was just wondering the other day what was going on with the Mustang.  Congrats on the IT classses.  From someone that was in that field and deals with people in that field my best advise is never think you know everything.

This all sounds good. Best of Luck.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/22/21 4:54 p.m.

Sounds like you are kicking some ass. Good job. 

Spending small money making a home feel happier isn't waste, it's an investment in mental health. 

And yeah, thanks for updating, I was thinking about you the other day. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/22/21 5:36 p.m.

Congrats on passing your class, and I'm glad to hear that your Mustang is fixed and almost ready to sell.  It'll be a bittersweet moment, but being a father and having owned and sold three of them at various times, it sounds like it's the right move to free up some cash for your growing family and the move. Sometimes being an adult isn't fun, but you're showing a maturity that will help you go far in life!  Best of luck with the move!

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
1/22/21 6:26 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Cool I was just wondering the other day what was going on with the Mustang.  Congrats on the IT classses.  From someone that was in that field and deals with people in that field my best advise is never think you know everything.

On the contrary, taking some of these classes I feel like I know nothing!  Insert picture of Jon Snow. I feel like all the classes are waaayy over my head but I'm still managing to keep my head above water. I know the IT classes are the key to a good career, so I'm gonna keep on it as best as possible 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
1/22/21 6:27 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

Sounds like you are kicking some ass. Good job. 

Spending small money making a home feel happier isn't waste, it's an investment in mental health. 

And yeah, thanks for updating, I was thinking about you the other day. 

Thank you. I'm tempted to post some pictures - when I joke about our crack house im not really exaggerating. A coat of paint and some of those cheap paper blinds has completely transformed the place and it helps with our mood. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
1/22/21 7:25 p.m.

I spent 4 years in Cleveland Heights.  It was enough.  Glad to hear things are going better for you!

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
1/22/21 9:24 p.m.

Feeling like you have a lot to learn is a great way to go into an IT career- it really is one of the fields where you want to be the dumbest guy in the room, so you're constantly learning.

Good work getting things back on track. The best revenge on people who doubted you is to become successful. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/23/21 2:01 p.m.

What generation is the Civic and what is the rough situation like? If it's a rust-free EF or EG that runs take it to Cleveland and sell it as they won't have seen one rust-free in over a decade and you'll get two to three times the money for it up there then you would in Florida. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
1/23/21 9:35 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

What generation is the Civic and what is the rough situation like? If it's a rust-free EF or EG that runs take it to Cleveland and sell it as they won't have seen one rust-free in over a decade and you'll get two to three times the money for it up there then you would in Florida. 

It's a 95, gutted with bolt ons and a harness, only a little bit of rust above the rear wheel wells. Getting it to Cleveland would require driving it there, which would be a pretty rough drive with an open exhaust lol 

johndej
johndej Dork
1/23/21 9:52 p.m.

As with the folks above, I was thinking about this thread too. Glad you're doing well and killing it in the classroom. I'll echo the rust free in Cleveland civic being worth a bit of a premium aspect, just got back from Dayton and even there a guy we were working with with had a like 8 year old Silverado bubbling up all over the wheel wells already.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/23/21 10:18 p.m.

But, you could take the route up the smokies from Chattanooga to Knoxville and have an adventure to tell for it. I wouldn't bother putting an exhaust on it as the next owner would just take it off anyways as it'll end up in Norwalk. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/23/21 10:26 p.m.

Cool, things sound like they are going well

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
1/24/21 5:51 p.m.

Great news on the "victories" in your walk of life!!!!! psssst I left that part of the world (cleveburg) back in 1978 to get away from the SNOW having been born and raised there.....to each his own....peace out.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
1/25/21 6:06 p.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

But, you could take the route up the smokies from Chattanooga to Knoxville and have an adventure to tell for it. I wouldn't bother putting an exhaust on it as the next owner would just take it off anyways as it'll end up in Norwalk. 

Speaking of Chattanooga, it has a growing tech sector and is closer to mountains. Might be worth a look if you're wanting a 3-5 year career start.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
1/25/21 8:20 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Wow, big update.  Glad to hear the Mustang is running again.

No longer to Canada and now to Cleveland?  Cleveland, Ohio?  

I'm located an hour west of Cleveland, Ohio.  There are some decent suburbs but I don't find the city itself compelling.  Mostly because urban is not my thing.  Cleveland proper has some real "grit" to it.  I don't mean that as hating on Cleveland but  you have a Baltimore background.  Maybe not as much of a grit as Baltimore but all I know of Baltimore I learned on The Wire.  

The part of Baltimore I was raised in is the kind of E36 M3hole they use for filming police shows. Cleveland is close but not quiet there. I still wouldn't want to move my kids to either city. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
1/26/21 6:18 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

We'll be in the suburbs where it's nice and safe 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
2/4/21 1:21 p.m.

We move into our new apartment on March 1st!  We're pretty excited. It's a gorgeous little place right smack in the middle of a big Jewish neighborhood, which is what we wanted. It's in Cleveland heights, and 4 blocks away from my wife's best friend. I sold the mustang to carmax, who gave me a fair price for it. Now I just need to finish cleaning a few things on the civic and I'll snap some photos and put it up for sale as well. I truly hate to see it go - I love that awful little car. But it's better off staying down here near a racetrack, and I'm better off with extra cash in my pocket right now. 

Besides, once we get to Cleveland and I get a job up there and need my own daily driver again, that gives me an excuse to build another challenge car!  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/4/21 5:29 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

...but snow has always had that magical feeling to me.  I love shoveling snow.  I can't explain exactly why.  Shoveling all the snow in Baltimore during the blizzard a few years back (roughly 3 feet of snow) was awesome.  I can't wait to have snow again.

There is a good chance that in early March you can still experience "the magic", as you call it.  Although, we have had a mild winter.  Just this upcoming week we are going into the expected coldest week to date.  Temps will be just "teens" for the daytime high and maybe single digits for the night time temps.      

Where you live you will be very close to the Main HQ of The Cleveland Clinic as well as Case Western Reserve University and their University Hospitals.  They are the number one and number two largest employers in the metro and I would imagine that both have big IT Depts.  

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/4/21 5:36 p.m.

Cool!  Don't understand trading hurricanes for snow but hey if you're into that kinda thing I'm glad for you.  Jewish neighborhoods are the best.  I love when I get to work in larger one here.  The day is easy and the Publix has the best food in their deli.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/4/21 6:26 p.m.

The thing about snow vs hurricanes is that your house is still there the day after a big snow storm.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
2/4/21 6:39 p.m.

Cold is COLD .....it was 70 and sunny here in H'town today .....just sayin' peace out

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
2/4/21 7:13 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG (Forum Partidario) :

Mid 70s here in San Antonio  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g3NdhT0EH2djiYYdnDSIQmTElTUhFPz46VfiIICUxtTdmTQ5Lc0N7RhPFJ5TGRkt