ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/10/21 4:09 p.m.

I'm installing a new light fixture in my bathroom.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  The fixture attaches via 2 bolt holes that need to be  aligned vertically so the fixture is level.  The two bolts are mounted on an intermediate plate.  This plate is then mounted to the electrical box.

The location of the holes on the electrical box is such that its impossible to have the bolts on the intermediate plate vertically aligned.  Pic below is with me holding it in the most-vertically aligned position I can get it in.

How do I correct this?

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/10/21 4:28 p.m.

Move your posts to the middle of the slots on the same radius and leave them ever so slightly loose. Then mount to the box so they are appx vertical as needed. Once you have the fixture over the posts, you can now wiggle the light till it's truly level and tighten down.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/10/21 4:40 p.m.

Hmm, that may work.  I think the head of the screw (post) actually interferes with the boss that the plate screws need to go into - but its *almost* vertical when that happens.  Its possible there is enough slop in the fixture to accommodate that though.

I'll dig around for some extra nuts to see if I can't mount the post in the slot.

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
1/10/21 4:55 p.m.

One of these will take care of that. You’ll need to hit the lighting department at a home center.  Lowe’s in the case of this link:

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/081069/081069506658.jpg?size=mthb

Or googles “wall light installation adapter “

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/10/21 6:00 p.m.

^ good to know.  I was able to get it installed after I moved the screws over to the slot and then cut them to length.

Once I got it installed and verified it works, I screwed one of the flange nuts in place and it pulled the socket right out of the fixture.  I guess the socket was cracked/broken.

I bought this a year ago and it has just been sitting around waiting for me to install it.

Berk.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
1/10/21 6:11 p.m.

I'd try super glue. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/10/21 6:38 p.m.

You could have moved the screws to these holes, and rotated the plate to fit.    You can also flip the bracket over, and run the screws through from the other side.

Let me see the inside of the fixture where the socket is broken.   You should be able to fix it.    The weight of the globes is likely to be too heavy to trust to super glue.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
1/10/21 7:39 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

If it'll hold a construction worker to a beam, it'll hold that globe. 

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
1/10/21 9:35 p.m.

That would be fine if he was gluing a hardhat with a large flat area (Which also happens to be a magnet) on top of it to a steel beam.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/10/21 9:40 p.m.

There isn't really a way to get in there.  The break is near the top of that plastic part - as deep inside the fixture as possible.  They don't separate.

Because the clamp load against the glass would put whatever I bond in tension I'm fairly sure it would separate it with ease.  Solven't bonding could work, but again - can't really get in there.

I emailed the manufacturer, its worth a shot.

Another lesson learned - be careful what you buy.  And check it within the warranty/return.  So much stuff produced these days is just garbage :(. 

I just want something that works.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
1/10/21 10:13 p.m.

Well now you'll know how to get the next one level, so there's that. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s41uv2RsOdNLwUSG2MstC4RodadvJ49wMWchYwlcslgYkzciU89P7uPcf9o7Y7j4