Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) UltimaDork
10/22/20 7:33 p.m.

TL;DR: I have a guess in the last line below, but if anybody knows better, I'm all ears.

I may have my terminology wrong, but when I say "thinset" I mean the thin, little-or-no-aggregate stuff you'd use to level a subfloor before applying linoleum or something like that...

My dad has a concrete porch that's sagged and cracked, and has been foam-jacked back into generally reasonable location and shape, but has a triangular section that's a bit low at least along one edge. As I understand it, it's just the sort of shape you'd correct with thinset, except that thinset isn't durable or resilient enough to be a top layer, esepcially where it's feathered out thinly (and as far as I know doesn't bond super-strongly to whatever it's on top of).

I wonder about something like this concrete resurfacer, but I imagine it's really meant as a topcoat, not for building up even a small self-supporting thickness.

Or maybe I have "thinset" really, really wrong; Quikrete appears to have a version which includes sand; I wonder whether this with some of the acrylic fortifier would do the trick... Wait, nope, it's definitely advertised as a tile setting mortar, not a structural item unto itself...

Okay, maybe I've rambled my way there as I go through the site. Vinyl Concrete Patcher? Good for up to 1/4" thick...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/22/20 7:45 p.m.

Watching with interest.  Have some pavement to fix too.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
10/22/20 10:35 p.m.

Ardex makes some pretty amazing stuff. Its been 15 years since I was in the concrete industry so I'm not sure exactly which of their products would be best for your job.

https://www.ardexamericas.com/products/engineered-concrete-repair-systems/

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
10/26/20 1:35 p.m.

Looks like Ardex makes a couple of things that are good down to 1/4" and look promising; I'll have to check; hopefully either the deep end is 1/4" or less and the Quikrete vinyl concrete patcher will work, or the shallow end is 1/4" or more and the Ardex CP or K 301 will work... cheeky

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
10/26/20 2:03 p.m.

Well heck; Sakrete Flo Coat is good for feather edge to 1/2"... I think that must be our ticket?

Good grief; I like to cite my sources when asking for advice, but at this point I look like some sort of concrete canoe...

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
10/26/20 4:36 p.m.

Some of the Ardex stuff can have 3/8" rock added to it for thicker applications and then left out of it to feather it out. How thick are you expecting at the deepest part?

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
10/26/20 5:13 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

I'm actually not entirely sure; I'll have to double check. I have sort of a mental picture of the situation, but I don't recall whether we discussed the absolute depth of the deep end...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nkk00poQiTBCBg79WTxpLMKavA2kOVl5PfMnBy8njYdZHkrDtEn9PtD6hHNhIisX