jughead
jughead
5/26/12 1:20 a.m.

Hello. I'm new. Looks like a site where I can get some help:

I have a '35 MBZ replica (manufacturer: Classic Roadsters) with a 302 Ford engine. Nothing fancy. It's currently an automatic and I am going to drop in a T5 that I picked up from a '91 Mustang (I have the used parts from the bellhousing to the rear end) as well as a conversion flywheel (28 oz) to replace the 50 oz. flywheel from the '91. All of this is irrelevant to my question, I am just describing the project.

My problem is that I have very limited space between the trans tunnel and the compartment side panel; I will have to cut and modify the tunnel to get me a little more room. What I need to know is if any knows what the most narrow stock swinging clutch / brake pedal unit that might be available so that I can use it in such a small space. The T5 uses a clutch cable, so that is what I intend to use also, but if there is no room, I may have to go to a hydraulic clutch, but I think the cable is an easier option. If anyone can point me in the right direction, whether it is a narrow aftermarket or used vehicle assembly, I'd appreciate it. If you know what vehicle uses a very narrow assembly, can you give me the model and year so that I can go look for it and see if it will work.

Mahalo.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard SonDork
5/26/12 6:35 a.m.

I just did a similar swap in my 1991 Isuzu Trooper. It has the narrowest pedal assemblies I've ever seen, hitting all 3 pedals with one foot is is rediculously easy.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/26/12 6:36 a.m.

[Edit - you got decent advice before I could even type my response]

Welcome aboard. I can sympathize....my datsun replica has a footwell too small for three pedals. I don't have an answer for a narrow stock pedal - don't worry, someone here will - but do have another idea. You could trim a wider pedal to fit your application, or take the pedal from one of those dress up kits the kids use on wanna be ricers and mount it turned 90 degrees.

Those ideas will only work if the problem is the foot portion. If you are looking for a narrower swing arm or assembly....well, I am sure someone will have a suggestion.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/26/12 8:24 a.m.

A Mustang pedal box is pretty narrow as well. It's maybe 8 inches wide at the top. The pedals can be bent or otherwise reshaped to fit your app and it has a self adjuster built in that's already set up to use your T5 cable mechanism. Crappy picture of one:

It bolts to the underside of the steering column bracket and the firewall. The clutch cable comes out on the same side as the throttle pedal.

Hondas and Acuras etc use pretty skinny pedal setups, but I think the 'box' is part of the steering column mount meaning it would have to be cut out. The Isuzu and Mustang boxes just unbolt.

jughead
jughead New Reader
5/26/12 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

Thanks for your response. What year Mustang box are you referring to? The box from the '91 had a long lateral arm that the cable attached to, and because I knew it would not fit under my dash, I didn't take it, I only took the clutch pedal but not the assembly. I may go look for a Mustang box as you describe if you can give me a year; I guess I can always reshape the pedal and reweld it to narrow the pedal arm to be closer to the brake pedal.

Mahalo.

jughead
jughead New Reader
5/26/12 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Thanks. Do you recall about how wide the assembly is and does it bolt up to the sterring column?

Aloha.

jughead
jughead New Reader
5/26/12 12:20 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Yes, I think I'll have to reshape / cut / weld the clutch pedal to snug it up near the brake pedal.

Aloha.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
5/26/12 1:53 p.m.

An MGB pedal box is 6" wide at the flanges, and 5" at the box itself

jughead
jughead New Reader
5/26/12 1:56 p.m.

In reply to oldtin: It's been years since I drove an MGB; are they swing or floor-mounted pedals; can't remember. Are these about as narrow as they come? Mahalo.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/26/12 2:47 p.m.

The last one of those Mustang pedal assemblies I had in my hands were used in a 1986 Thunderbird, so it was a Fox body car, 1981 through 1992 were all the same IIRC. That means it's the same as the '91 you were looking at.

MGB pedals are firewall mounted and hang down. The master cylinders point backwards, like a Tilton or etc setup.

EDIT: Non power brake MGB's (1962-1974 chrome bumper cars) have the brake and clutch master cylinders pointing backwards. Rubber bumper cars (1975-1980) have the clutch master pointing backwards but the brake master points forwards.

Triumph Spitfires had separate boxes for the clutch and brake M/C's, they point backwards. That would give you a lot of fabrication latitude.

jughead
jughead New Reader
5/26/12 6:14 p.m.

Thank you very much. Now I'm pointed in the right direction with some options and will do my homework. Really appreciate everyone's help.

Aloha.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
5/26/12 9:14 p.m.

AH Sprite/MG Midget

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dVtiT3uVnd9UjTMX8ypXKLwzlMIJf8vPQFNmi8msGfF6bsTpOJWkx5jHbnQOJjAz