1 2
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
7/31/20 7:24 p.m.

Anyone done it?  How bad is the aftermath?

I've passed 6 or 7 stones in the past 5 years, none of them fun, 3 of them sent me to the ER.

Apparently I've got a bumper crop of stones growing in each kidney and some are too big to pass.

The idea is they knock you out, aim some focused Sound Waves at the stones and bust them up.

I don't know how he finds the time, but I'm glad he's found something other than the Deceptions to keep him busy. laugh

So they bust the stones up, they still have to work their way out.  Even the little stones I've passed were no picnic.  Doc says "minimum discomfort," I don't know who's metric they're using?  Doc also says don't worry we'll give you drugs...  That doesn't help much for the worry.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/31/20 7:37 p.m.

Knock on wood, I haven't had a kidney stone.  Thank goodness for that.  I didn't know they knocked you out though.  

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
7/31/20 10:30 p.m.

I've had it done. Passing busted up stones was way easier than the whole thing. Just a little bit of discomfort compared to passing out from the pain the morning it tried to come out whole.

The nurse that shot me up with demerol for the 4th time later that morning in the hospital told me she had given birth, and had kidney stones, and the kidney stone was worse pain wise.

The lithotripsy was interesting.  They blast you whenever your heart beats while you are in the tank. The problem for me was my resting heart rate was 39 bpm at the time because I had been training to climb Aconcagua down in Argentina for the previous 9 months.  They had to hit me with adrenalin to get my rate up so it didn't take all day.

So, don't sweat the next few days peeing through the funnel.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
7/31/20 10:53 p.m.

My wife had it done and it was awesome.  Yes, there was still some pain as she passed some of the bits, but it was nothing like passing a full stone.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
7/31/20 11:15 p.m.

I have had it done twice. Both times I was placed on a special table with cutouts where the kidneys are located. The gave me some pain meds a light sedation. Then the shockwave machine placed upon my back, and they blasted until the xray showed the stone was broken up. Some people have bruising and discomfort where the machine was placed, but I had minimal issues after mine. If it works correctly, it breaks the stone up into mostly grains of sand size pieces which are much easier to pass. You might end up with slightly pieces, but usually much easier to pass than decent size stones.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
8/1/20 4:39 p.m.
jgrewe said:

The nurse that shot me up with demerol for the 4th time later that morning in the hospital told me she had given birth, and had kidney stones, and the kidney stone was worse pain wise.

My cousin has said something similar, she's had a kid and 3 kidney stones, and claims she'd gladly have 3 more kids vs. another kidney stone.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
8/1/20 4:47 p.m.

Those that have had the lithotripsy has it been a permanent solution?  Got rid of the stones, and didn't have any more?  I know diet is important.

So far they don't know why I'm having kidney stones.  I made a significant change to my diet after passing the second one.  My blood work shows all of the usual causes to be within normal ranges, higher end of normal on some, but still normal.

I know they want to pee in a sieve and collect the busted up stones to analyze.

Before going to the urologist that is doing the lithotripsy (second one, I fired the first guy) my GP started to give me the "kidney stone lecture," I interrupted him before he could finish, told him all I'm doing to prevent them, and he kind of looked at me dumbfounded, then said, "well, some folks are just genetically predisposed to kidney stones."  That's not very reassuring.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
8/1/20 8:30 p.m.

I've had them twice, nine years between them.  My dad had them twice, mom had them once.  My dad had them removed surgically the first time, in the before lithotriptor days.  Second time he got blasted. 

Mine passed the first time, second time it got stuck just before the bladder.  They tested the second ones and found out which species they were.  I forget exactly what they called the two choices, I think uric acid or calcium IIRC.  Mine were uric and from that point on I have run enough water through myself to float an aircraft carrier.  I have one of those insulated mugs from 7-11 that holds about 40oz.  I start my day with one of those full of ice and diet dew. When the dew is gone I fill it with water a couple times.

Its been about 18 years now, knock on wood, no sign of any new ones. Find out what they are made of and adjust.  Drinking more water than you think you need helps too.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/4/20 9:59 a.m.

Went to the plumber and got my left kidney cleaned out this morning.

Kind of uncomfortable, feel like I got kicked in the kidney.  Drinking fluids, but haven't had to "go" yet.

Got a script for pain meds, I've got a pretty high pain tolerance, hopefully don't need them.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/4/20 10:14 a.m.

I would try not to resist taking pain meds; I completely understand people's concerns, but you shouldn't also put yourself through suffering just because.

I've been looking into this for family of mine who has gallstones; I've taken patients several hours for this procedure so it seems like the tits, especially since it can avoid surgery completely.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/4/20 10:20 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

From why I hear, kidney stones have their very own pain scale.   I had my kidney tubes dyed and x-rayed several years ago.  Around 7:00 that night I started having pain that grew to excruciating.  I was bamming my head against the wall while sitting on the toilet.  No position took relieve the pain. I loaded up on all the acetaminophen I thought safe and was finally able to go to sleep.  Next morning I was fine.  No idea what was the problem, but I never want to go through that again.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/4/20 10:27 a.m.

I've heard of "pea gravel" and that makes sense, but "pee gravel" does not sound like a good idea. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
9/4/20 10:32 a.m.

Try a shifter kart on a bumpy Northern track first!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/4/20 12:40 p.m.

I'm finally awake and have drank enough fluids to need to go.

I think I know where root beer comes from now. surprise

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
9/4/20 9:40 p.m.

I'm having flashbacks reading all this again... it took about 3 or 4 days to catch enough of my little sandbur in the funnel to send off the be tested.

I remember Flo-max helped quite a bit. The tubes between your kidneys and bladder are narrowest right before the bladder.

All I can say is good luck, hope it all goes well from here.

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
9/4/20 10:39 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

Well, it took me 62 years to get my first stone just a few months ago so I can't tell you how permanent.  What surprised me was how little pain I had, some discomfort was the start and only a couple times before the surgery.  The weird thing was peeing red... and having to pee through the screen.  They'll put in a stint for a week (not sure why) but you'll pass more stones after it's taken out.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
9/4/20 10:54 p.m.

The stent will keep fluid moving through the kidney. If it doesn't the kidney will shut down. Jump start process is no fun.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/5/20 8:21 p.m.

I've been able to manage with ibuprofen so far.

This afternoon has been worse than yesterday, pain wise, maybe stuff is finally flushing out.  I haven't caught anything too evil looking yet, I guess that's the point, but I'm going to be panning for gold for a long time to get anything worth analyzing. 

Most impressive have been what I assume are little chunks of kidney.  Should I be looking for offal recipes?  Maybe I'll ask the mother-in-law she's British. laugh

I'm still groggy, 36 hours later, I'm a light weight, can get a buzz from 2 beers, so anesthesia has hit me hard.

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
9/5/20 9:01 p.m.

My condolences.  I had one kidney stone attack about 20 years ago, I’m very grateful there hasn’t been a second one. 

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/6/20 4:49 p.m.

Soaking in hot bath Water relieves the pain.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/6/20 9:29 p.m.
Kikicool666 said:

Every living being at some point in their life has actually desired to be with [Brisbane Canoes] that fulfill their [Paddling] dreams. That is why Asian [paddling] is so prominent worldwide since there are such hot [waterlines] like these.

Anyone else morbidly curious about kidney stone pron now?  Thanks canoe.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/6/20 10:12 p.m.

Had one a few years ago and was told lithotripsy wasn't an option as it was in the kidney to bladder tube. 2weeks of awful awful pain to pass an 8mm stone. 

Morning of discovery I woke up in steadily increasing pain and wound up vomiting from the pain. I thought my gut was rupturing. When I went to the er they gave me morphine, and after a CT and confirmation, I was given something to help flow and some good opiates and sent home. Possible mistake was just staying in bed due to the pain, if I'd moved it might have passed sooner, well if I didn't pass out. Urologist I was referred to told me pass it naturally or a retrieval that didn't involve an incision (yeah, same route, but with tools going wrong way on what is most certainly a one way street for me). I finally passed it within hours of deciding to schedule that operation (everyone has a limit for how long and how much pain). Once it was in the bladder it was nothing, the pain dissolved 90%, it was only like a flinch to pee that sucker out. One possible tip, just pee in a large solo cup then dump that through the filter rather than sit all funny on the toilet while in pain to line it all up. (Standing wasn't a real option due to pain and meds)

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/16/20 1:24 p.m.

Apparently this is The Summer of Kidney Stones... It was supposed to be The Summer of George, I mean Lee.

Lithotripsy was a little over a week ago, doc said he's pretty sure he got everything busted up on the left side, I still feel like I was in the Bloodsport ring with Jean-Claude, but I'd gladly take that to passing another stone.

Since lefty is allegedly cleaned out and on the mend, now my right side has decided it wants in on the fun too.  I've spent a little over 48 hours off-and-on with this latest stone, and now have set a personal record, largest stone yet.  Not real sure how I managed it, it was huge, and hurt ALL THE WAY out.  I've got a script for Flomax, started taking it at the first twinge of pain, and have been downing water and lemonade, I think the Flomax saved me a trip to the ER.

I can't wait to get the right side zapped too.  Bring on Jean-Claude, I'm ready for round 2!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
9/16/20 1:35 p.m.

I had a 1.2cm stone blasted with litho. a few years ago.

They did a great job, no pain passing the sand out.  But I felt like I was kicked by a mule for a couple of days after.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UberDork
9/17/20 7:41 a.m.

So, y'all want to see it?

I shared a photo of the big stone with some friends, one of which suggested I stop eating throwing stars. laugh

Don't want to give anyone nightmares, it's not a gruesome photo, just a little jagged rock next to a penny.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V85IGuKY1Xj6sWJcWLYGoPxcdjGc5oUtge9XkjQAjRR5LEky03emfTNhRSL70NJv