1 2 3 4 5
szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
7/14/18 9:47 a.m.
Duke said:

But... but... it’s Virginia. I kind of have a chip on my shoulder about Virginia, Virginians, and especially Virginia cops. I guess if I wasn’t an out-of-stater, the cops might not be so bad. I would have to visit and see if I could overcome my prejudices.  It is pretty down there in some places.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, Virginians are just Southern Masshiny happy people. And Virginia cops are the worst. 

[edit] I didn’t know you were from Virginia, so there’s hope that not everybody there fits my stereotype. It’s mostly me I guess. I did almost go to UVA. 

No offense taken, I'm a transplant here. I've grown quite partial to Richmond - but that doesn't mean that this place doesn't have its share of people I can't stand, and I've had my fair share of driving while Asian run-ins with the cops as well.

There are definitely "sweet spots" to VA. Northern VA and the Tidewater area are too crowded to be livable. Too far into the county and you start to see the truth to some of the stereotypes. 

skierd
skierd SuperDork
7/14/18 2:18 p.m.
Duke said:

But... but... it’s Virginia. I kind of have a chip on my shoulder about Virginia, Virginians, and especially Virginia cops. I guess if I wasn’t an out-of-stater, the cops might not be so bad. I would have to visit and see if I could overcome my prejudices.  It is pretty down there in some places.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, Virginians are just Southern Masshiny happy people. And Virginia cops are the worst. 

[edit] I didn’t know you were from Virginia, so there’s hope that not everybody there fits my stereotype. It’s mostly me I guess. I did almost go to UVA. 

The area around DC is not like the rest of Virginia. The further you get away from the capital and Yankees the better it gets. But if you’re going to Roanoke and other western parts of Virginia you might as well keep going to Asheville NC and the tri cities area imo. 

Hal
Hal UltraDork
7/14/18 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

RE: Western Maryland - Frederick County specifically.   I love it here but it can be expensive for some things.  The local paper runs a listing of home sales every Monday.  Sale prices usually range from $1M to $150K.  A lot of that depends on location in the county.  The county is ~30 miles North to South and close to that East to West.  Southern and eastern parts of the county are getting densely populated, but you can still go deer, turkey, and bear hunting in the western and northern parts of the county.

Taxes:  Sales tax is 6%.  No personal property taxes.  S.S. is not taxed.  There is a substantial pension exclusion once you reach 65 (was  $41K for the wife and I last year). Property taxes: I paid $4250.00 last week on $237K assessed value, but that includes state, county and city taxes. City taxes were $1700 of that.

Baltimore and DC are ~1 hour away.  But the City of Frederick has plenty of cultural stuff going on.  The first Saturday of the month in the summer downtown turns into one humongus block party.  The Weinberg Center has lots of events from local theater groups to nationally known entertainers. There are concerts and movie showing in the ampitheater on the creek all summer long(Google Carroll Creek).  Frederick has become the place for all the people from DC and Montgomery county to come to eat.  There are quite a few breweries and wineries in the county.

If you are into history we have plenty of it.  Many historical sites from the Revolutionary and Civil wars, etc.  The car scene is fairly robust also.  Numerous local car clubs for all types.  Auto-X with CDC at the baseball stadium, SCCA is in DC.  Summit Point is 40 min. away for road racing.

Health care is very good(nothing like having a heart attack while in the recovery room for a cancer operation to make that point).

If you ever get in the area let me know and I will give you a tour.  West of here Washington County will be cheaper to live but not nearly as convenient to all the other stuff.

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
7/14/18 9:08 p.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie :

I like that area of Virginia a lot, some of the prettiest country I've seen on the east coast. Winchester is a great little town too with a very nice downtown area. SWMBO and I were kayaking just a little ways north of there in Shepherdstown, WV (which is another nice little college town in it's own right) today and I'd consider that corner of VA, MD, and WV too, though it does get very rural rather quickly.

Going a little further up 81, south central PA might suit you as well. Similar proximity to major cities as what you enjoy now, but with more space. $2-300k gets you a nice sized house on a few acres, and there are plenty available with nice, big garages too. My property taxes are right around $2500 on an assessed value of $185k.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
7/16/18 2:52 p.m.

Duke, two potential thoughts come to mind:

1. Keep the current home and life situation as is, and buy an rv that can tow the miata or get a truck/travel trailer (either way, have a not-rv for driving around when you're parked).  Should be $20-30k for a decent newer used one.  Take a year or two right at retirement and slow travel the country, visiting places you might want to live and staying as long as necessary (probably at least a month).  If anything comes up while traveling, park the rig and jump on a plane back to home base in DE.  Once you find the sweet spot, sell the camper/RV and DE house, buy in the new place, and ride off into the sunset.  

2. If you want to stay in Delaware because its close to what you know and like, look on the other side of i95, just south of rt 40.  It gets rural quick, and there are still plots to build on.  My place is on almost an acre, with an oversized 2 car garage.  My plan was always to extend the driveway and put a 30x40 shop in the back.  You are welcome to come by and take a look, and stewarts brewery is just a mile or two up the road.  Only complaint about my street is its a main road with 35mph, and so its a little busy/noisy.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/16/18 5:19 p.m.
Flynlow said:

1. Keep the current home and life situation as is, and buy an rv that can tow the miata or get a truck/travel trailer (either way, have a not-rv for driving around when you're parked).  Should be $20-30k for a decent newer used one.  Take a year or two right at retirement and slow travel the country, visiting places you might want to live and staying as long as necessary (probably at least a month).  If anything comes up while traveling, park the rig and jump on a plane back to home base in DE.  Once you find the sweet spot, sell the camper/RV and DE house, buy in the new place, and ride off into the sunset.  

One of our software developers just did this. He's younger than me, but his wife graduated college and they bought an RV and he works full-time remotely now.

pheller
pheller PowerDork
7/16/18 7:12 p.m.

Some stories: 

My grandparents retired at 60 and 61, with full-pensions. They had previously used the few weeks a year my grandfather had off from work as a machinist to travel, typically via a conversion van, but sometimes even in a car. My grandmother was a teacher, so some summers she'd travel by herself, and some summer she'd do the great American road trip. By the time that they were in the 40's they had visited nearly every state in the lower 48. In their 50's they headed for Alaska. In retirement, they didn't get enough and lived the RV life for 12 years. All the while living in York County, PA, in the same home they had owned for 35 years.  

Luckily, my father and his brothers stayed local. Our family didn't leave Pennsylvania. Hell, very few of the family traveled at all. 

My father and uncle are both gone, leaving my grandparents youngest son as "the decider." He pretty much determines where they will live. Unfortunately, he has decided that Florida is his new state of mind, and has brought my grandparents with him. This, to their chagrin, is not as enjoyable as they might have hoped. All his life he felt stuck in Pennsylvania, and while we all supported his moving, the rest of his life wasn't ready to go with him (including wife, kids, etc.)

My grandmother says "I would have enjoyed living in Florida when I was in my 60's, and had 20 years to make friends, now I just feel like an outsider, torn away from home, my relatives, my friends...what few were still living." She's pretty depressed because she's outlived many of her friends, her siblings, her sons. She wanted her last remaining son to be happy, and his happiness is moving his family to live where he lives (in Florida.)

My parents and in-laws are similar but different situations. My parents, in their early 70's, are watching younger friends run off and do the "late career jump" where you follow the money in order to ramp up the social security perks. My parents will never be able to afford living multiple places, but in their case, unlike my grandparents, they have nothing to lose. Family is dwindling, and friends (and me) are starting someplace new. 

Surprisingly, my parents are considering living in Costa Rica for 1-2 months next year. This is very much unlike my parents. Their reason? An excuse to experience new things and meet new people. Not to live permanently, just to have stories to share with friends back home. 

My in-laws, can't bear to leave family behind, despite the fact that they always intended to retire in style. It becomes increasingly worrisome how fragile her parents are becoming. They've got all the money, but none of the desire to leave a place their kinda unhappy with. The opposite of my parents. 

We have some friends and former neighbors who did it right. When the parents retired, they basically committed to following their kids, and their families, where-ever. When the kids went to Phoenix, they bought a house in Phoenix. When the kids came home, they bought a house down the street. I think it has made their family stronger, even after the grandfathers on both sides of the family died. 

All of this has made me want a "Mother In Law Suite" more and more. I value my new life in the desert Southwest, and I don't want to leave it, but at the same time, I wish my family, and my in-laws could live more comfortable with us, for longer lengths of time. 

When you're retired, you can visit your kids, friends and family as long as you are welcome. Your kids can't say the same with todays limited vacation time. Eventually you get to an age where you've gotta plant yourself. Starting making connections in that place today, so 20 years from now it's the place you'll want to die. Something to think about.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
7/16/18 7:50 p.m.

In my first year of retirement we're going to travel from here to the west coast of Canada, up to the Yukon and NWT, then down south and through the States to the east coast then back up to Canada's east coast then back home. There's no timeline and we're going to do it in a converted mini van, likely a Caravan. That trip will probably determine the direction of the rest of our retirement.

Because I looked so forward to retire at 55 then didn't, for the first time in  my life, I have little direction, no real plan, and no timeline.

I'm a planner and it's driving me crazy.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/16/18 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

In my first year of retirement, I’m going to clean the garage. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/17/18 8:27 a.m.
Duke said:

I'm from Virginia, I agree. I've only ever gotten tickets in Virginia. Never in any of the dozens of states I've sped through.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
7/17/18 8:28 a.m.

It sounds like  a small town in Oregon or Washington state would fit your wants. Or this little city of Cool in California, its freaking awesome lol

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
7/17/18 8:27 p.m.

In reply to pheller :I like what you said and how you said it. 

Me? I hate to travel. I traveled around the world courtesy  the USNavy .  Then I traveled for sales.    Mostly in the Midwest  but plenty of places otherwise. 

One more long drive,  followed by a few hours of sleep and another long drive. Or waiting in line to board yet another flight to some city I see out the window of the cab.   Out of 365 days of the year I was lucky to spend 40 or fifty in the company of my wife at night.  

Home sweet home  meant a lot to me. I remembered ​​​​​​ and fixated  on my home.  Now I’m semi retired and the home is everything to me. I’ll travel because she wants to. But my favorite spot is the home

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/28/18 9:48 a.m.

Thread bump, though not as delayed as the previous bump.

Today's topic:  NEW HAMPSHIRE

On paper, New Hampshire is looking pretty good.

• PROS:  On Kiplinger's Top 10 list for retirement-friendly taxes (no income or sales taxes), politically independent, least-religious, cooler weather will please DW, not too far away from family, fairly familiar environment

• CONS:  #35/50 for affordability (Delaware is #28), high property taxes (gotta make it somewhere), road salt (assumed), real estate costs unknown

Other than that, I don't know much about it.  I've visited Vermont briefly, but never NH.

Can anybody with New Hampshire experience share that with me?  What areas should I be looking in for real estate?  Thanks.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
11/28/18 9:54 a.m.

I lived in the Boston area for 12 years.  It's pretty, there's a lot history and plenty to do.  New Hampshire is gorgeous but unless you're in very southern NH, it's pretty small town, rural.  It's COLD there in the winter!  In my experience, Yankees don't leave home, so everyone knows each other since they were in pre-school together.  That makes it hard to come in as an "outsider" and make friends. 

Both my wife and I experienced that...

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
11/28/18 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

A friend of my dad's moved there about 25 years ago for a summer roofing job, and wound up staying and raising his family. They get snow much earlier than here in "our" area, but from his last trip down it sounds like people might remember snow from year to year and how to drive in it. That's all I got, but he's due for his annual "how is everything" call soon, I'll pick his brain a bit. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
11/28/18 10:05 a.m.

It's friggin' beautiful and friggin' cold.  Summer camping trips through NY, VT, NH and ME are my favorite climate by far.  We went up there for winter once and...oh wow.  Even more beautiful, and also the high for the week we were there was 8.  Eight.

That said, they are tall (geographically) states with varying altitude and the weather varies accordingly.

I do think that idealistically/politically, it's gotta be a way better match for you guys than delaware or anywhere else south.

Autocross is fairly limited though.  Devens airfield in Ayer, MA is the only good sized site I know of.  Serious NER guys haul all the way down to metro NYC area to run at the meadowlands from time to time.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/28/18 10:30 a.m.

Thanks, guys!  Anybody else, please chime in. 

Cold is not necessarily an issue, particularly not for DW (or so she thinks, anyway).  Frankly, I'd rather have it be 20 and snowy rather than 39 and rainy.

How are the summers?  Humidity kills both of us.  Do not want.

Any particular zip codes / areas I should pursue (or avoid)?

[edit] Looks like Concord area to Ayer, MA is 40-50 miles.  That's about what I drive to Ax now; maybe a little longer.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/28/18 10:51 a.m.

I happen to be in NH right now for work. Portsmouth area near the coast.

Taxes - yes - there's no sales or income tax, but they get you in other ways. Real estate taxes tend to be high, although relative to nearby MA, not terrible.  If you like to eat out, the restaurant tax (9%) will add up.   Housing prices are high - at least in the Portsmouth region where I was looking.

Yes - it's cold, but not terrible down here by the coast.  When they get snow, they know how to deal with it. 

Concord to MA is potentially a mofo of a commute - because you're not the only one to think that.  But Ayer MA being on the north side of 495 helps a bit. If you plan to work in MA, live in MA.  While some commute from NH to MA, they eventually find a job in NH. The commute sucks that bad. 

Humidity wise - I spent the Summer of 2016 in Portsmouth.  It's not as bad as the mid-Atlantic region where I normally live (Philly), but it's definitely no desert.  Somewhat better the farther north you go.  

For a state where the motto is "Live Free or Die" they sure have a lot of rules here. At least when I looked into registering my collection of cars up here. While after 2 years I don't remember the specifics other than I don't see me relocating from PA.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/28/18 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Good counterpoint info, thanks.  I'm in DE so you know what that's like climate-wise.

I wouldn't be commuting; this is for retirement.  Ayer, MA was given as the nearest decent autocross site around.  If I decide to work a little, I will stay local, but preferably, retirement should be just that.

Yeah, we like to go out for meals 2-3 nights a week.  We do cook, though.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/28/18 11:29 a.m.

Compared to me, Duke, you have a monster chunk of money with that house value.  If I sold my house today, I would get about $90k.  There are a ton of areas that can get you what you want for much less than what you sell your house for.  Whether or not they appeal to you is another thing.

I can't say that Austin TX will suit the need for financial reasons, but in every other way it should be right up your alley.  The downtown area is a big college town and full of funky, happy, hippies.  They are decidedly left-leaning, but not militant about it like Portland or Los Angeles.  The surrounding areas are very conservative, but also not militant about it.  The two groups interact and mingle in such a friendly, respectful way and it is beautiful.  I often tell the story about the first week I lived there and saw a gay couple walking down the street; one guy looked like he was straight from the cover of a Billy Idol album cover, and the other was wearing cowboy boots, a snap-button plaid shirt, a bolo tie and a Stetson.  They walked down the street holding hands and leaning into each other and shared a kiss.  That is Austin.  Outside of town there is a much looser zoning/code structure and there are many places that are my dream; small house, massive garage.  Property costs are the killer, though.  It ain't cheap.

Although TX has a lot of bigger/college-y towns within an hour drive, it's not like the tri-state area you're used to.  If you drive one hour outside of Austin, Dallas, or Houston, you are in a scrubby desert or forest with nothing but cows for neighbors.  Not like the sprawling rural/suburbia stuff we're used to in our neck of the woods.

I might suggest Slidell, LA.  It is not far from New Orleans (40 min) and I personally love it.  It has all the laid-back chill of New-O, but none of the bustle and cost.

Both of those towns have the seasons you like, but very little winter.  I recall in TX there were two of my four winters there that had snow, but just enough to scare everyone into a panic for a few hours.  Summers were pretty oppressive, but I go to Canada.  Louisiana has lovely seasons.  Summer can be pretty sweaty, but the Camillas and Magnolias that bloom in the spring are fantastic

Everyone seems to love Asheville NC.  I don't.  It felt like Johnstown PA to me.  In the off season its like a ghost town.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/28/18 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Well, we've lived here for 25 years, so we've built up some equity.  It's worth about exactly the total of what we borrowed on it (paid it off once, refinanced to renovate, paid it off again), so our housing costs for the last 25 years are basically the mortgage interest, taxes, and opportunity cost of the investment.

Austin sounds interesting, but it has a couple risk factors for me:

• How long will it remain hip?
  • Current hipness drives up property values, as you mention.
  • I don't really want to be in the hip urban part, and the alternative is pretty bleak, also as you mention.
  • We really need to get away from hot and humid summers, and pets / economics / laziness keep us from having 2 houses.
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/28/18 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I’m re-reading this thread from the beginning because it is so relevant to me. 

Expanded idea from page 1...

How about a pocket neighborhood geared toward gear heads?  A small cluster of small houses with a large shared communal shop along the lines of Ross Chapin’s Work positioned in a warmer climate near some amenities like race tracks?  A fly-in neighborhood for car lovers.

I’m willing to bet we could find enough retiring GRMers to make it a worthwhile joint effort. 

You have the talent to design it. Perhaps a few of us could help build it, etc. 

Id be in. ;-)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/28/18 12:05 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

The $640K question (extra zero added for inflation) is where? 

edit: I just remembered there is something similar to your idea being planned for Carlisle PA.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/28/18 12:12 p.m.
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/28/18 12:17 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I can’t speak for Duke (or others). I know if I was involved, I’d want to remain East of the Mississippi, and avoid most snow. But the high heat of the Deep South is too much for me- no FL  

I’m in SC now. That’s a pretty good balance. A bit too conservative politically. 

For me, north GA is a good possibility. 

I would be flexible if I could get a few other people interested. I’ve dreamed of building a pocket neighborhood now for more than a decade. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D0nTD6meBPR778h4VZFg4yRDu8GLj8KuURB5eLnPdES8oNhGwtmgtfyXygmjes0M