1 2 3
bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
2/16/19 12:56 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Real world non union rural get the job done scenario right there. He was an overconfident boastful rookie who knew it all and would not take good advice. He was also an owner operator, and it was not me who hired him. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/16/19 2:00 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

My bad in my reference - these “kids” were the younger guys and one was his son and were fully trained local 150 union members and probably 35-40 years old.  Since Dick was the owner he sent all the operators out and he was the last to go out in busy times.  

I’m just the old guy calling younger guys the kids.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/16/19 2:56 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

In reply to SVreX :

Real world non union rural get the job done scenario right there. He was an overconfident boastful rookie who knew it all and would not take good advice. He was also an owner operator, and it was not me who hired him. 

OSHA does not govern union jobs. They govern all employers. 

You said you “hired” him. Sounded like you were an employer. My apologies. 

The equipment was undersized. And it is not an “normal” practice to use undersized equipment because the operator is “more experienced”. 

And seatbelts are required, at all times. Particularly in equipment with cabs.  More people die in them, because they try to jump out in the event of a rollover, and get crushed by the cab. 

I am not trying to attack you personally, but your description of how a “pro” would do it is unsafe.  It shouldn’t be offered as a “simple” procedure that an experienced operator could have handled. It should be described as unsafe. 

And no, it doesn’t save time to do it like that. It’s really easy to get stuff done in the real world in a safe manner. If you try. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
2/16/19 3:36 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I told a story. Lots of rules were broken, but you pointing them all out and listing all the potentially negative after effects is really not necessary. It would not be a story if all the rules had been followed and the lift was a boring and routine day at work. Lighten up.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/16/19 3:57 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

I didn’t list anything until you argued. 

Lighten up. 

I realize being a dumbass makes a great story. But you listed the techniques as the right way to do it, and that an experienced operator would have been able to do it that way, which is incorrect.

Your story was fine. Might have even been humorous. The step by step instruction you offered was incorrect. If someone read it and tried to repeat it, they could get killed. 

May I suggest you add humorous commentary when you are trying to tell a story?  Perhaps “Hold my beer”, or some such thing. 

I love stupid stories. But we also have the responsibility to say things in appropriate ways. 

The method was unsafe. That’s all I said. Sorry if it offended you. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/16/19 5:42 p.m.

Serious question:

Frenchy, did you actually work in the industry for decades? Your terminology is so incorrect (truck crane vs truck mounted) being the difference between 5ft and 10ft extension, which is so unbelievably not correct and made up.

Here is a "truck mounted" crane (or is it a truck crane), notice the reach and capacity. Not 10ft.

https://autocrane.us/product/hc-14/

I know I'm coming off snarky, but where are you coming up with these terms and distinctions?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
2/17/19 8:55 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Yes you are coming off snarky. I’ll forgive you, I understand where you are coming from.  If you go online you’ll see exactly what you showed but that’s an attachment for a truck. Not a truck crane!  

Look up Grove, Linkbelt, Terex.  Etc. Those are truck cranes.  The whole chassis,  boom, etc is designed by  the crane company.  Their load rating is based on a 10 foot circle from the center pivot pin.  

Now look up National.  Those are cranes mounted on truck chassis. Like Sterling, International, Peterbuilt, Kenworth.  Their load rating is based on a 5 foot circle from the center pin.  

( there is a lot more but I’m just touching the highlights)  There are also rough terrain cranes and deck cranes and Tower cranes.  

All of which require a deft touch because mass, inertia, and distance can quickly get a novice in serious trouble.  

Which is why getting hired as a crane operator without experience is so unlikely.   The cheapest truck crane I ever sold was over $250,000 and that was only a 30 ton.  ( and 15 years ago)  Tipping over an expensive  piece of equipment  is actually the smallest cost. Injuries, fatalities, and damage to buildings/construction/ site can quickly get over the millions. 

Hence the back door approach by some to buy their way into the trade.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
2/17/19 11:23 a.m.
z31maniac said:
frenchyd said:

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

Getting your first crane operating job is going to be really difficult. While industrial cranes ( deck cranes )  aren’t that expensive compared to most other cranes , the normal route is through the Oiler/set up position.  Which would push your sons lifting capabilities to his limit and very likely beyond.  

Another route is to buy his own crane.  I’ve sold more than a few cranes to complete novices. Truck mounted cranes are not impossibly expensive especially in the used market but a great deal of care and judgment is called for.  

Maintenance is frequently neglected on those, But they  have great deal of wear.  The truck chassis brand will tell you a lot about the owner.  Cheap off brand chassis, that may not have the factory support better brands do, are to be avoided.  If the crane isn’t working or you get a reputation for unreliability just making payments will be tough.  Let alone making a decent living.   Same goes with the Crane conversion. National is a well respected brand. Avoid Terex,  parts has always been its weakness. Due to inventory costs Terex is more likely to need to make a part first rather than have the parts sitting on a shelf.    A 10 year old truck mounted crane may still command a high price,  but in all likelihood  shouldn’t be used as a primary revenue stream.  

Remember Truck mounted and truck cranes are different.  One is rated at 5 feet and the other is rated at 10 feet.  A. better truck crane has a 30 year life as a primary revenue source.  While a truck mounted crane has really high maintenance costs after 10 years. 

Spend $3500, go to Houston, take your 3 week class and start working.

Getting the operating certificate is relatively easy. The hard part is getting the job.  To risk expensive equipment, and job site conditions, few owners will hire without experience 

Very much like getting a pilots license.  Once that’s in your hands, you still need hours before they turn you loose.  Granted things are different now but with over 1000 hours of multi engine time the airlines had a 2 year waiting list when I asked post Vietnam 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G0peBbYeVxEQ1YY8a4ng9ZgKBnX7AAl8CPbwpckJcofLwJVcnhcXDVPL0yJDgUE1