1 2 3
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/26/18 11:07 a.m.

Story Here.

This is a facility that I toured back as a kid and it made a big impression on me.  I still drive past it all the time and was sad to see the steady in cars in the employee lots.  While I won't necessarily mourn the loss of the Cruze sedan, I certainly mourn the loss of 1600 jobs nearby.  That plain sucks.  

They were making these (or maybe Monzas, I can't recall exactly) when I toured the plant. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
11/26/18 11:39 a.m.

Will GM put another model in the plant?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/26/18 11:40 a.m.

So much winning......

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/26/18 11:45 a.m.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/business/gm-oshawa-plant/index.html

Do there really plan to use this motto?  

GM's (GM) new motto is "Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion," signaling a shift to self-driving, electric vehicles.

For 2020, 2021 & 2022... I am sure that their best selling vehicle will be the Silverado and I'm sure it will not have crash avoidance as standard, it will not be zero emissions and it size will not help congestion.  

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
11/26/18 11:52 a.m.
John Welsh said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/26/business/gm-oshawa-plant/index.html

Do there really plan to use this motto?  

GM's (GM) new motto is "Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion," signaling a shift to self-driving, electric vehicles.

Wait till they change their name to "General Mobility". I kid, kinda, but that is the big buzzword in the industry.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/26/18 11:54 a.m.

GM stock skyrockets on plan to slash jobs, close plants

"Stock Price Engineering" should be an actual disciplines taught in Engineering schools. 

Pete

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/26/18 11:57 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

There is a paradigm shift happening in the automotive industry. When Ford announced that they were going to stop selling sedans in North America, I knew GM was going to follow right behind them. In 10 years most new cars will be crossovers and SUVs, everything else will be pickup trucks. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/26/18 12:03 p.m.

Oshawa and Hamtramck also go the axe. RIP Cruze, Volt, Impala, LaCrosse, XTS, CT6 and 2018 trucks.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/26/18 12:15 p.m.

I have an uncle who works at GM Oshawa but he's fairly wealthy and actually retired from that job, before going back to it because he was bored (!?!?).

This is the consequence of 2 things, vehicle electrification (requiring much less powertrain engineering labor) and the decline in sales of new cars:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2017-04-04/car-sales-hit-their-natural-limit-again

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/26/18 12:24 p.m.

Leave it to GM to prepare for their electrified future by scrapping their best selling electrified vehicle.

Image result for confused meme

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
11/26/18 12:26 p.m.

IBTL!!!!

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
11/26/18 12:30 p.m.

they're going to become a logistics company and not an automobile manufacturer. Vehicles have long been used to transport people and their things, just as we went to malls to do commerce. Now we primarily do commerce online and only seek out specialty retailers as a resource in person. Shopping centers, malls and retail as a whole have fallen by the wayside. Cars will likely do the same, specialty ones will remain where their function is to do something more than to transport one to and from the now empty retail center. 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/26/18 12:42 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift :

Maybe to some extent. But having a person/people in a vehicle represents a captive audience for the owner of the vehicle, and a gold mine of data that can be sold to advertisers. That's the real play in my opinion. They want to pivot from being a car company to being a tech company that makes vehicles instead of phones/tablets.

Ford's CEO is already talking about selling the data that their finance arm collects (Names, addresses, incomes, employers, etc). Imagine what advertisers might pay for even more data from individual's vehicles, and a captive audience for daily commutes to/from work that they can target ads to.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/26/18 12:58 p.m.

I just saw that GM will be reducing their workforce by 15%.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/26/18 1:17 p.m.
iceracer said:

I just saw that GM will be reducing their workforce by 15%.

15% of Salaried work force. 25% fewer executives as well.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/26/18 1:24 p.m.

I just realized i haven't gotten bored and nerdy enough to see if my GTA came out of this plant or Van Nuys.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/26/18 1:40 p.m.

Interesting that they're canceling the Volt. I know the numbers on it aren't great, but the tech seems solid. I can see where they're coming from that there isn't much of a future for cars as they're built now. It's either trucks, SUV's or the next generation of things which are electric and/or self driving. None of my kids are really interested in cars, and the ones they are interested in aren't new. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
11/26/18 1:48 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I just realized i haven't gotten bored and nerdy enough to see if my GTA came out of this plant or Van Nuys.

It’d be from either Van Nuys or Norwood.  If the paint is still okay, probably from Norwood. If the paint has flaked off, or is coming off in sheets, it’s from Van Nuys.

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/26/18 2:21 p.m.

Honestly, I'm amazed that obstinate ol' GM was proactive enough to take this step before it became a major crisis. I'm also glad that this means no more of those piece of E36 M3 XTS and CT6s will be foisted off on the public, only to immediately develop all sorts of dumbass issues 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/26/18 3:07 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:

In reply to John Welsh :

There is a paradigm shift happening in the automotive industry. When Ford announced that they were going to stop selling sedans in North America, I knew GM was going to follow right behind them. In 10 years most new cars will be crossovers and SUVs, everything else will be pickup trucks. 

But FCA will still be churning out Challengers and Chargers.

edit: and hasn’t it been closed before? The Cruze brought it back once but it seems the entire workforce in Youngstown is reliant on this plant.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/26/18 6:11 p.m.

It's weird.  I just saw a promotion of Volvo's new vehicles.  4 or so cars, a wagon and an SUV.  I am not sure if Volvo is just not focused on the US market, or they have a different plan (or just don't care).

For some reason, a lot of people seem to think this has something to do with tariffs.   It seems to have nothing to do with tariffs as far as I can see.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
11/26/18 7:13 p.m.
STM317 said:

Ford's CEO is already talking about selling the data that their finance arm collects (Names, addresses, incomes, employers, etc). Imagine what advertisers might pay for even more data from individual's vehicles, and a captive audience for daily commutes to/from work that they can target ads to.

Yeah, screw that.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
11/26/18 7:27 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

This will be a major blow to the Youngstown area economy. Granted, not the degree of the loss of the steel industry but a significant loss nonetheless. I wish they would build a PU in that plant instead of closing it. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/26/18 9:24 p.m.

I remember when they announced Lordstown was getting GM’s new car - the Cruze.  I was in the area doing asked and the area was pumped to keep the plant open.  

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/26/18 11:05 p.m.

1. Ford says they are cancelling car production.

2. Robbie posts on internet forum that he thinks this is a good idea.

3. GM clearly agrees with Robbie, announcing they will follow his advice a few weeks later.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xutCfjJ8AYGf9DsVkYYR8nf7kKu1S0bCdU73h15XxGrtm9E7p5UhXscAAJKh21Gn