Wayslow
Wayslow Reader
11/10/11 9:00 p.m.

My youngest daughter's horse died suddenly on Tuesday morning. He wasn't even 6 years old and he was the sweetest natured Thoroughbred in the world. I've never had the loss of a pet hit me this hard. My wife and kids are devastated. We had the vet out to check our other horses but she feels that it was an aneurism or something similar

Sorry for the sad post but I can't go 5 minutes without thinking about him and my kid is still crying.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
11/10/11 9:16 p.m.

Damn, sorry to hear that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
11/10/11 9:17 p.m.

Sorry for your loss. I read this week about a Canadian show jumper that medalled in the Olympics losing his horse at a competition. His story sounded like he'd lost a brother.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/10/11 10:10 p.m.

I feel for you. I had lost a horse several years ago from Colic. It happened suddenly and it couldn't be stopped. We lost him on Christmas Eve if it couldn't be any worst day possible.

He was only 3.

You get an unusual attachment with horses. They're almost like giant dogs. They can be very loyal and they also can have personalities.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
11/10/11 10:10 p.m.

Oh no, I am so sorry. I've been there, I know how devastating it is. Hugs to your daughter.

@Streetwiseguy - yeah, that was Hickstead. He collapsed right after competing, of an aortic aneurism. One of my best friends is a journalist who's profiled Eric Lamaze throughout his career, and was at the press conference yesterday - it was quite emotional. According to our vet, it would have been a painless way to go. A blessing, I guess.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
11/11/11 6:55 a.m.

Sorry to hear that. I'll second the thought that horses can be like big dogs. My condolences.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
11/11/11 10:15 a.m.

I'll echo what everyone else has been saying. They're like big dogs and a part of our family. Sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine losing ours like that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3KjB3QrqvHRAwZuKMpoOsQVtYEdFG9mLKjBoqS2lR7gqpj3krODkZ00bSpj5Djuc