Eberspacher64
Eberspacher64
9/25/19 1:41 p.m.

Saw the Sebring 12 Hour back in the '60's and liked the design/looks of a couple of Lotus Elites in that race. In fact, saw them at a gas station on the way to the track. I have never seen anything about them since.  Was that model a limited make or wasn't it any good , or???? These 2 were coupes and had wide dark blue racing stripes down the middle of the car.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
9/25/19 1:50 p.m.

you're sure its not the Elva MK VIs that classic motorsports just bought one of and is starting a resotration on?

btw, awesome article on that one. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/26/19 2:12 p.m.

Lotus Elite, AKA the Type14. All fiberglass monocoque chassis with Coventry Climax power and MGA or ZF 4 speed gearbox. Four wheel disc brakes (inboard at rear). Approximately 1400 were built from 1958 to 1962. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
9/26/19 2:58 p.m.

It was a very good car.  Met a guy once that was at the lead of a pack of Lotus at a LOG, running through the mountains at speed.  Lotus speed.  They went blasting by a traffic cop who pulled them all over except the Elite.  The Elite stopped anyway and asked how come he didn't get a ticket.  The cop said he couldn't get a reading on him with his RADAR gun.  Saw one at a LOG with a 4AGE20V in it.

Turboeric
Turboeric Reader
9/27/19 1:12 a.m.

Back in the late 70s, I attended a race at the old Westwood Circuit near Vancouver, B.C. to watch the vintage races. It was bucketing down rain, and the track was quite slippery, and the layout featured a long downhill straight into a hairpin corner, then through a twisty uphill section. I was watching at the hairpin to see a titanic battle between a Lotus Elite and a Shelby Mustang GT350 - chalk and cheese. The Mustang would pound past on the straight, slither around trying to slow enough for the hairpin, when the Lotus would shoot by and keep ahead on the squiggles. Lap after lap, passing and repassing. Heavy muscle versus light agility. I don't even remember who won, but I vividly remember the  battle. One of Chapman's all time greats.

Eberspacher64
Eberspacher64 New Reader
10/7/19 10:00 a.m.

Thanks for all the comments and pictures. That was the car I saw. Glad to hear they did well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ln4LRDsqyRagM97SkEQIxGF3qFNTDkqeZFngvYVljwdXIAshw2rVojVYia3XZOtK