volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
4/1/16 2:07 p.m.

In reply to Dr. Hess:

I read something about a Toyo Hilux clutch. Yeah, "net wisdom". shrug

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/1/16 3:35 p.m.

The Hilux was a 22R based truck. I probably have a clutch for that laying around. I also read "net wisdom" that someone used I think a 3SGTE flywheel with the mounting bolts elongated slightly. Doesn't sound terribly safe to me, but hey, down in Oz or Kiwiland, things are different. There you get "Hey watch this... Mate."

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/1/16 3:41 p.m.

Loved mine, older than what you are looking for as it was a 93 model, only complaints were not great mileage and could never get the gas gauge to work reliably (capacitor replacement.)

Had to do the starter replacement, that was fun. Dragged it home ~4 years ago with a dead ECU and rehabbing it, have driven it to San Diego a few times (3hrs each way) Laughlin (6 hours each way) and LA numerous times. Everyone who rode/drove it couldn't believe how smooth it was and how well it held up for a 20+ year old car.

Transmission gave out recently so it's going to be parted (and I'll keep the drivetrain) or maybe just sold outright (too many cars)

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
4/2/16 9:49 p.m.

In reply to DuctTape&Bondo:

How many miles when the tranny quit trannying?

asoduk
asoduk Reader
4/3/16 8:30 a.m.

I have a newer LS430. I ignored all of the comments about them having no personality. My wife commutes in it and we take it pretty much whenever we go anywhere. We love how comfortable it is enough that the fuel economy isn't even a thought. It also has a huge fuel tank, so its not like you're stopping every 150 miles. I haven't done anything to it other than an oil change, cabin filter, and cleaning. I will be doing the timing belt in the next 6 months, but youtube says its no big deal.

Go drive one for yourself and see how nice they are. Its actually pleasant to be in.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/3/16 11:52 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: In reply to DuctTape&Bondo: How many miles when the tranny quit trannying?

Over 250k. It acted up awhile back, (1.5 years or more?) and I initially thought it was an ignition coil issue, but when replacing those didn't work I dropped the trans pan and the filter was clogged. Changed the filter and fresh fluid and it worked fine until recently, so it was on borrowed time really. When I dropped the pan this time it had bigger debris at the bottom, looked like strips of metal like cooling fins, threw on another filter and it'll go reverse but that's it. Car has other issues that make it not worth saving so once I clear my garage I'll part it out.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/3/16 1:05 p.m.

Trannying... Is that a verb??

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
4/3/16 1:20 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Trannying... Is that a verb??

I think much to your surprise and when it's too late, you find out that it has a dangling participle.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/3/16 4:16 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Trannying... Is that a verb??

I don't know about verbs, but I'm sure there's a web site for that.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
4/3/16 8:24 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Excellent!!!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/3/16 8:44 p.m.

On HD Forums dot com, there was a Kiwi guy that got himself banned for a week for posting pics of his tranny.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bzFun3NVY6WIhm1Xzgkmw9pQDedwCPUCzmIBvTg0SACx339wqMZPYkkS6wipRkeY