David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/7/22 10:50 p.m.

I've been aware of Lupin for years/decades but never watched it–until now as the Classic Adventures are on Prime.

Anyone else? 

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/7/22 11:17 p.m.

I like it though haven't seen a lot of it.

My first exposure was the more kid friendly Castle of Cagliostro, Hayao Miyazaki's first feature length animation. He drives the souped up Fiat 500 in that.

I found the comics a little later and they're a lot more raunchy, the anime is between the two. I think it's on hulu as well.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/8/22 7:51 a.m.

I've seen quite a bit of the original series, it was on cartoon network wayyyyyy back in the day in the anime block late at night. Have a handful of the dvd's and the ps2 game. It's a really fun one and up there for me in my favorite anime list. At some point they changed companies for the English dub and in turn changed Lupin's voice and that was a big downer for me

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/8/22 8:49 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I've been aware of Lupin for years/decades but never watched it–until now as the Classic Adventures are on Prime.

Well, now I know what is next on my list of shows to watch when the wife is off playing rugby.

I watched it ages ago.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
10/8/22 9:27 a.m.

I used to watch it as a teenager. Still one of my favorites. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/8/22 10:37 a.m.

The new(er) series are just as good. Excellent mix of comedy,  drama, and action. Even the yellow 500 still shows up.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/8/22 11:27 a.m.

I watched off and on, but never really got hooked. I should give it another go.

"You're Under Arrent" is still my favorite for cool cars.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
10/8/22 1:15 p.m.

What a strange topic to see here.

Yep, I have watched it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/8/22 4:02 p.m.

Seen Castle Cagliostro multiple times, and I may have picked up the DVDs of the series a ways back when they were on sale.  I need to watch it sometime.  I also need to get back to watching City Hunter.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/8/22 4:39 p.m.

Just curious, are there any hardcore "Wings if Honneamise" fans here? If so, I can pass on a collectible.

David S. Wallens
10/10/22 9:52 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I might have to check out Castle Cagliostro as well. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
10/11/22 12:05 p.m.

I have a friend who despises anime but ADORES Castle Cagliostro, which he laughs about all the time.

Lupin has always been wonderful, like a lot of you I remember first seeing it on Adult Swim for the first time BUT STILL NOT AS SUBLIME AS BIG-O

David S. Wallens
10/11/22 1:06 p.m.

Lupin was on Adult Swim? If so, totally missed that. 

David S. Wallens
10/11/22 1:12 p.m.

And can't mention Adult Swim without bringing Stormy into the conversation.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
10/11/22 1:26 p.m.

I'm very selective on my anime interests, but I enjoyed Castle Cagliostro. I got to get back into watching Cowboy Bebop as I enjoyed what I've seen so far.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/11/22 2:02 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

"You're Under Arrent" is still my favorite for cool cars.

My favorite episodes are the first 2 of the OVA with the Mini chase and the Lancia maniac in the typhoon.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Past couple of weeks I've been back into Cowboy Bebop for after dinner. The movie takes place during Halloween but I found it a little boring.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/11/22 2:33 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The episode where Stormy and the doc steal cable and it explodes them through a wormhole back in time 10 minutes. Copy after copy of the 2 keep showing up, until you end up with a version looking like Jabba the Hutt and David the Gnome.

I'm sure a laughed a few years off my life when I saw that.

Also...STIMUTACS!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O2daUvw4Ja4FhTqLeDNlSjRm8eE1dkdhHjzIbmOh31ckxotdBhrctfBkn1rQXOyt