joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/18/10 6:35 p.m.

I just put a new muffler on my woodsplitter, and it's not any quieter than the old one. Is there any way to make thus thing quiet? I figure if they can make a car quiet, why can't they make a little old 5hp engine quiet? I'd like to be able to split some wood later at night.

Joey

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/18/10 6:44 p.m.

Just stick the entire muffler can in the inlet of a car muffler.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
10/18/10 7:13 p.m.

supertrapp mufflers for work great

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
10/18/10 7:18 p.m.

?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/18/10 7:22 p.m.

worst post in..

3.

2.

1.

Buy a honda.

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
10/18/10 7:25 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Just stick the entire muffler can in the inlet of a car muffler.

This works surprisingly well.

The other possibility is to try a small engine repair shop and see if they have a junk generator you can steal a muffler off of.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
10/18/10 7:42 p.m.

I bet if you piped the exhaust into a bucket of water it would sound really different.

FlightService
FlightService Reader
10/18/10 7:43 p.m.

Look at a Euro spec motor. Briggs builds them with nice mufflers, (European residential noise regulations.) Very quite.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
10/18/10 10:54 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG:

It would sound like a 1992 5.0 mustang with flowmasters!

Joey

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
10/19/10 12:23 p.m.
ignorant wrote: worst post in.. 3. 2. 1. Buy a honda.

Ya beat me to it.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
10/19/10 12:27 p.m.

Turn it off.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/19/10 3:22 p.m.

I never understood why the small engines do not have better mufflers. When my parents had their riding mower, my father and I put a glasspack on it.. was a simple welding job that worked wonders for quieting down the small engine

fornetti14
fornetti14 Reader
10/19/10 8:12 p.m.

I have to make something for my snow blower this year. That devil is super loud even with ear plugs.

spriteracer
spriteracer New Reader
10/19/10 8:47 p.m.

The valvetrain is so loud on a Briggs, I don't think any muffler could make them quiet.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
10/19/10 10:22 p.m.

Bet a tiny turbocharger would quiet it down a bunch...

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
10/19/10 10:55 p.m.

Check Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop for a "strap on" extra muffler for a ATV.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
10/20/10 10:01 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I never understood why the small engines do not have better mufflers. When my parents had their riding mower, my father and I put a glasspack on it.. was a simple welding job that worked wonders for quieting down the small engine

if you have a glasspack on your riding mower, you might be a redneck.

or

if a glasspack makes something quieter, you know it was loud to start with.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
10/20/10 10:10 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: if you have a glasspack on your riding mower, you might be a redneck.

I have a glasspack on my central vac

4eyes wrote: Check Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop for a "strap on" extra muffler for a ATV.

Let us know what you get when you search "strap on"

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/20/10 10:23 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I never understood why the small engines do not have better mufflers. When my parents had their riding mower, my father and I put a glasspack on it.. was a simple welding job that worked wonders for quieting down the small engine
if you have a glasspack on your riding mower, you might be a redneck. or if a glasspack makes something quieter, you know it was loud to start with.

It was the latter... didn't need earmuffs to ride it after that

Andrei Wright
Andrei Wright New Reader
6/24/14 5:20 a.m.

I'm having the same problem with my exhaust as well. I made some calls and I can get a muffler from the wreckers for $20 and the rest of the piping from any parts store shouldn't cost more than $40.What should I do?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
6/24/14 6:01 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: I just put a new muffler on my woodsplitter............I'd like to be able to split some wood later at night. Joey

Is this "code" for something else?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
6/24/14 7:32 a.m.

You would think they'd make them quieter, wouldn't you?

Interesting bits from Jacks Small Engines regarding the supertrap lawnmower mufflers. Didn't even realize they existed.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmod.cfm

and

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Products/Quiet-Mufflers

Wish the supertrap was cheaper, but might consider it myself, mostly for the riding mower. Maybe I'll buy some for my neighbors as well.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
6/24/14 7:38 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
ignorant wrote: worst post in.. 3. 2. 1. Buy a honda.
Ya beat me to it.

Plus one. My uncle just broke my dads powerwasher. Not a Honda, but it did have a Honda engine. Uncle on the phone with Dad:
D: Just make sure whichever one you get has a Honda engine
U: They have these Briggs and Stratton's here, what about those
D: Fine, as long as the Briggs and Stratton is a Honda
U: What's wrong with the B&S?
D: It isn't a Honda.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
6/24/14 9:32 a.m.

The Harbor Freight Predator engines are pretty quiet in stock form, fwiw. I looked at the small engine Supertrapps to quiet down our racing karts but they'd cost more than the engines.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
6/24/14 9:36 a.m.

It's an air cooled engine, they are noisy, just like old Beetles. Some have had good luck with generators by putting an enclosure around the engine (leave plenty of room for cooling though), using foam board around it. You could leave the top open to allow the heat to escape.

Our Preferred Partners
1t3lbiNXMZfmXWcU8rT2eQnrFkbqHw2OOsIlX3FdkXfKkHQbRoVOOFr4NXv7QXqP