1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/20/17 1:19 p.m.

So, seriously, anyone here rock a kilt?

I'm seriously considering it.  The only issue is the tartan I want (plaid is a garment NOT a pattern) 'Thompson dress blue' is only available from the UK as real wool costing $600+ The affordable wool blend 'traditional kilts' (really walking kilts) from places like 'Got Kilt' don't have anything close.  I'm not dropping money on something expensive until I know if I've really got the nads to pull it off more than a couple of times a year. 

This is Thompson Dress Blue, I haven't seen anything available at a reasonable price even close to this.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
10/20/17 1:33 p.m.

The Utilikilt looks like the best way to let others know you have too much money and like to wear a skirt. $330:

But, you can go to KMart and gt this one for $19

And you know what? They are both berkeleying skirts!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
10/20/17 1:34 p.m.

I work with a guy who wears a kilt to all the work affairs where one is required to dress accordingly.  He's a rather large, red headed Scot who plays rugby and is proud of his heritage. My wife says he looks great in it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/20/17 1:40 p.m.
Huckleberry said:And you know what? They are both berkeleying skirts!

Not a fan I take it?

Zomby Woof said:

I work with a guy who wears a kilt to all the work affairs where one is required to dress accordingly.  He's a rather large, red headed Scot who plays rugby and is proud of his heritage. My wife says he looks great in it.

That's the great thing, Kilts are acceptable dress at any formal events including black tie.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/20/17 3:25 p.m.

Hey, if he wants to wear a skirt, let herdevil

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
10/20/17 3:28 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I'm seriously considering it.  The only issue is the tartan I want (plaid is a garment NOT a pattern) 'Thompson dress blue' is only available from the UK as real wool costing $600+ The affordable wool blend 'traditional kilts' (really walking kilts) from places like 'Got Kilt' don't have anything close.  I'm not dropping money on something expensive until I know if I've really got the nads to pull it off more than a couple of times a year. 

This is Thompson Dress Blue, I haven't seen anything available at a reasonable price even close to this.

Why spend that much. My wife buys skirts for like $20 all day long. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/20/17 3:58 p.m.

https://youtu.be/29-LRuuqFT0

http://<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/29-LRuuqFT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-LRuuqFT0

Ok.  What am I doing wrong with the youtoobs?  I was able to directly lay out a couple of videos with the new forum format now I'm lost.  That's E36 M3e! smiley

OH Yeah.  NSFW by a long shot. blush

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
10/20/17 8:48 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

they changed the button.  button between picture and smiley face, drop youtube link into there

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
10/20/17 8:51 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

You no longer need the embed code. You need the link URL. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/20/17 9:32 p.m.
nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/20/17 9:33 p.m.

Thank 'yous' very much gentlemen.  yes

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/22/17 11:33 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

J. Higgins. They are out of Lenexa, Kansas and they are the real deal. The kilts are custom sewn on-site at the store at the time of order. Here is your Thompson Dress Blue.

https://www.jhiggins.net/tartan-by-the-yard-thompson-blue-dress-mod/

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
10/23/17 7:29 a.m.
914Driver said:

Hey Wally!

They are usually picky about uniforms though I've been getting away with the beanie in the winter.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/23/17 2:26 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Not as often as I would like. I got a very affordable one from Sportkilt a while back. Main reason I don't is that it's only practical for me to wear long pants to work.

If I had the flexibility, the big issue is keeping it looking nice. Ironing all those pleats is a lot of work and takes quite a bit of time. Way more complicated than ironing a shirt or a pair of slacks.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/23/17 3:40 p.m.

This thread does have me wanting a pith helmet, though.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/25/20 10:26 a.m.

Resurrecting this thread again just for the hell of it as I've just ordered my second kilt.  I know it will be hated here as it's the 'Sports Utility' model devil

This one.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/25/20 10:37 a.m.

Much to my surprise, my Ancestry dna results show I'm mostly(24%) Scottish. I'm going to pass on the kilt, but at least I'll feel a bit more at home when we go to the Highland Games. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/25/20 10:38 a.m.

If you add a few more belts and zippers to that, you'll get a Tripp style kilt which will make you fit into the goth rave scene.

9/25/20 11:07 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

LOL, that's NOT me.

I'm more this speed.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/25/20 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

I'd rock that black utilikilt.  My legs are the best feature of my, uhhh, physique.

DW and I go (or went) to a couple sheep and wool festivals every year.  We keep a Kilt Kount every time and bet on who will see the first kilt.  You will always see at least 1 kilt at any given fairgrounds festival.

9/25/20 11:42 a.m.

Come on GRM kilters, show us your manliness!  Pics, we need pics.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/25/20 11:49 a.m.

I have a Velcro one one that I got in a mountain bike race swag pack for changing in the parking lot. Great for getting chamois off without showing the world your undercarriage.

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
9/25/20 1:40 p.m.

It's interesting that the mailperson advocating for kilts as work wear said the he felt the pants were too tight.

As someone who suffers from inner-upper-thigh chafing, I actually prefer tighter, higher inseam pants/shorts. I get more chafing in looser fitting clothes. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/25/20 2:07 p.m.

I've worn a kilt several times, my heritage allows it. I like them.

If you don't think they're manly, just remember: Scotty is the only redshirt who isn't dead. Not to mention he is a certified badass in real life too.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/25/20 2:16 p.m.
1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UP0fvOr8h5AX37cSJR5aMQSZCEYTHWszJkgxujh2JGxTirzNtD6sIm8WLgBMPlVT