02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/15/19 9:27 a.m.

Replied via email and text to an ad yesterday for a truck listed on local CL; it looked pretty typical for a CL ad, no obvious red flags. No response yet. In doing a broader search this morning I discovered photos of the same truck on two other CLs, with slightly different descriptions and different phone numbers. Smells scammy, so I'm obviously not expecting anything good to come of it, but I'm also at a bit of a loss as to what this sort of listing is looking to gain. Is it just accumulation of confirmed live emails and phone numbers to sell for future spamming purposes, or is there something else that could be compromised by replying to such an ad? As a precautionary measure I changed my email password (which was a bit overdue anyway), but I can't think of anything else. Am I missing something here? Are my raging paranoia and deep-seated cynicism finally getting the best of me?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/15/19 10:06 a.m.

like you said, just harvesting live emails and phone numbers.  

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/15/19 10:54 a.m.

I replied once to an Elise ad.  I had to blow that email account away.  Set up one just for answering CL ads, and I don't reply directly unless I am very, very sure it isn't a scam.  Or, I'm sure there are plenty of 30' tall palm trees in Missouri.  And that mint 2016 Camry for $1500 seems like a good deal to me.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/15/19 11:08 a.m.

Well, I used a secondary address (Gmail), but nonetheless it would be irritating to have to nuke it from orbit. Google's spam filtering is decent in my experience, so we'll see what happens.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
2/15/19 1:48 p.m.

Nothing to worry about. They're not harvesting emails, they're hoping to get you to send them money to have the car shipped to you. Then of course the car never shows. "We will use Craigslist Escrow service" they'll say. No such thing. They set up a web site that they send you to or a phony person to send Western Union to and pocket the cash.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/15/19 4:31 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'm sure that happens, but I don't think so in this case, since I haven't heard a peep.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/15/19 6:54 p.m.

I never got an answer on that Elise either.  Just very shortly afterwards that email started getting spam, for the first time.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/16/19 12:43 p.m.

And I got a text this morning starting the scammer run-around with a story about listing the truck for his aunt. No, thank you...deleted.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/16/19 1:58 p.m.

I got a text this morning on the Explorer I listed. "Is this still available" and then a copy and paste of the CL link. Typical scammer move. I always reply just in case and sure enough 45 minutes later it was sold to them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
90S4Yv4GernbvuwQjwJCVlY9mqa3UCIjphlGN0kkiZFBNOTkZWxlebWSAYG4oJHD