1 2
02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/29/18 7:43 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Either secure the trailer very, very well, or insure it very, very well.  It WILL get stolen.  Also, your copper welding cables will be stolen every time you leave the trailer outside overnight.

This. A friend owns a big landscaping company, and the equipment theft he deals with is incredible. Put GPS trackers in everything, and make sure your insurance will make you as close to 100% whole as possible after the loss.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
12/29/18 2:22 p.m.

Congratulations on the new stuff and the new gig!  

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
12/29/18 3:49 p.m.

Flip closed/lockable caps for the torches so you can leave the gauges/regulators on. Always have soup. You can cook it on the exhaust of your welder. Get to know a crane guy. When you have to use him, line his pockets. Slow down. Welding is magic to people who have to pay weldors. don't destroy the illusion.

You'll need ladders, a 7-1/2" grinder, safety glasses, AND shield. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
12/29/18 4:25 p.m.
John Welsh said:

My guess is you will be busy!  

My best advice is, "don't be the cheapest in the business."  Be the guy who is "worth it."  

The guy who does my welding taught most of the welders in the area. He may be slow and booked for months, but he does good work. I McCredie falls into the same catagory

wawazat
wawazat Reader
1/11/19 7:42 a.m.

Are you willing to come to greater Detroit area for work on my car?  Shock tower welding and some reinforcements on a 1969 Mercury Cougar. 

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
1/11/19 8:21 a.m.

I thought this was some solid business advice, and relevant to the OP's industry.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/11/19 9:40 a.m.
02Pilot said:
Streetwiseguy said:

Either secure the trailer very, very well, or insure it very, very well.  It WILL get stolen.  Also, your copper welding cables will be stolen every time you leave the trailer outside overnight.

This. A friend owns a big landscaping company, and the equipment theft he deals with is incredible. Put GPS trackers in everything, and make sure your insurance will make you as close to 100% whole as possible after the loss.

This. Get a COMMERCIAL policy. Your Homeowners policy basically covers nothing for work tools. When I worked for State Farm, it was $1000 for work tools. 

And you'll have a very hard time arguing a big welder on a trailer isn't for commercial purposes. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/12/19 6:31 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Absolutely.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/12/19 6:36 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I have $1,000,000 liability, the S10 Blazer ,trailer and the welder and tools on a commercial policy. I can't be a slacker on insurance even if I wanted to, my dad and brother own an insurance agency.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
1/12/19 8:08 a.m.
pilotbraden said:

In reply to wawazat :

Absolutely.

Cool!  Can you PM me your contact info?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
1/12/19 5:02 p.m.

McCredie Welding Service eight one zero trey niner seven uno Quattro seven six

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
2/12/19 12:51 p.m.

Pilotbraden,

Sent you some mail. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
2/15/19 9:52 p.m.

Pheller

I sent you mail and I encourage you to pursue it. You can do it.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
2/16/19 12:04 p.m.

If anyone is considering Braden to melt some metal together for them, I can wholeheartedly endorse him as a welder and as an all around good guy. He did some welding for me and even gave my daughter (15 years old) some welding instruction. 

The job he did for me was great, and during the instruction you can tell that his well of knowledge and experience runs pretty stinking deep. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TGf06EJ9Jzf0Oya8AqHuMPSpdS1kn3ULAYvvoI1XinkfwIrCYR6e6usMM3uSqTYv