AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
11/6/18 1:29 p.m.

When I was 19 I dabbled in stand up comedy. Didn't do so well, but I always looked back on those months fondly. for my 35 birthday my lady signed me up for a comedy class.  4 weeks of instruction with a pair of comedians with the final test being a 5 minute set in front of a real audience.

That final test was last night.

Here's how it went: mildly NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEDWF8Ocw0E

apologies, the video isn't great, the audio isn't great, and the comic isn't great.

EDIT: I managed to get a copy of the house camera so... here's a better video of the same set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TkrqeXSZOY

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
11/6/18 2:22 p.m.

I'd say you did a damn fine job!  I do wish the audio was better, but that's a quibble.  You're a funny guy, and most of that audience agrees with me.

wae
wae SuperDork
11/6/18 2:28 p.m.

I lol-ed, even if Debbie can't take a joke. laugh

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
11/7/18 12:42 p.m.

Very funny and a lot more guts than me! laugh

Oh, and I couldn't stand up in front of a crowd like that either! yes

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/7/18 1:08 p.m.

That was a great set!

imgon
imgon Reader
11/7/18 3:32 p.m.

Nice job, I'll buy a ticket to your show when you do your national tour. I'm too chicken to wear a kilt or speak in front of a crowd, you nailed both with confidence. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
11/9/18 7:09 a.m.

Well done!!!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/9/18 8:11 a.m.

I'll watch it later when not 'working' but I have often thought about taking stand up or improv lessons at the local comedy club.  Any thoughts, experience other than the vids you have to share?

AClockworkGarage
11/9/18 10:41 a.m.

Yes. My advice is do it. Anyone who likes comedy should try it at one point in their life. Even if you bomb and never do it again you will gain a new perspective on the craft that will enrich every comedy set you see from that point on.

As for comedy classes, most comics will tell you to avoid them because they're a waste of money, but I disagree. While you can't be taught 'funny' the class will give you a leg up on the other aspects of comedy, as well as give you contacts with 1-2 professional comedians, and possibly a contact with a local club. if they know you at their club it'll be easier to get open mic time.

You'll also wind up with about a dozen new comic friends who are doing the same open mics as you. their support is invaluable.

AClockworkGarage
11/9/18 1:43 p.m.

If anybody is really interested, I can upload the audio I recorded at the first open mic when I started working on this set. You can see how much it changed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tubeTs36QXS4mtWqR8q8fEWK6erv5E00LnH8u1bAAyPpCQAILM6nq1emfI5VMqlU