Vincy
Vincy None
1/12/20 4:38 a.m.

hi guys iam new here. Something confuses me on my BMW, when i drive it is fine even the temperature gauge is fine too. But immediately after i stop driving it leaks out most of the coolant. When i refill the coolant after the car has cooled down all if fine it doesn't leak, but when i drive and stop it spills out. I checked and the water pump appears to be fine. SOS

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/12/20 6:43 a.m.

Leaks out ALL?  Or some?

Where is it leaking from?  Where is it puddling?

Your engine will get hotter after you turn it off, and the coolant will expand. This could be as simple as a cracked coolant overflow tank.  (But that wouldn’t drain all)

JAGwinn
JAGwinn New Reader
1/12/20 9:35 p.m.

Thermostat...

claudia111
claudia111 New Spammer
1/12/20 10:48 p.m.

Even I am also confronting with the same sort of consequences.I just want to include another topic that in my BMW whenever I am going ahead and trying to access my [canoe to view] live streaming videos ,I am unable to view it for a couple of days.Suggest us what to do regarding [this obvious paddle problem?]

Vincy
Vincy New Reader
1/13/20 12:40 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

thanx for ur reply. the leak seems to be from underneath the radiator but it doesn't leak at all when the car engine is cool only when i drive for a while and stop.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/13/20 1:00 p.m.

That seems like a crack somewhere.  If the overflow tank is good make sure the hose connecting it and the port on the radiator are both good too. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/13/20 1:34 p.m.

I’d bet on a crack. Maybe thermostat housing, or water pump. 

You didn’t confirm if ALL coolant is leaking out. I suspect not. 

You probably have a crack which is opening up when things get hot from the metal expanding. 

Look harder at that place you think is leaking at the bottom of the radiator. It could be leaking at the water pump and running down the hose to the radiator before dripping. 

The thermostat prevents water from circulating when the engine is cold, so most of your system coolant is not circulating. 

Its probably NOT your radiator. That always has water in it (even when it’s cold). 

Good luck!

Vincy
Vincy New Reader
1/13/20 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

ok iam taking out the expansion tank and hoses for a closer. Will update how that goes thanks!

Vincy
Vincy New Reader
1/13/20 2:01 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

ok im taking out a few a things to check for a crack starting with the expansion tank then the radiator. If all is fine there i will check the water pump and thermostat. Will update you how that goes, thanks for the tips!

Vincy
Vincy New Reader
1/15/20 6:24 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

thnx ,so i finally took out the cooling system and turns out the coolant expansion tank had a crack right at the top. Replaced it a few hours ago and its all good.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/15/20 6:33 a.m.

Happy ending. Hooray!

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
1/15/20 7:15 a.m.

Headline:

Wally and Svrx open online auto repair business!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OHngDAlks2SqCPEKbNZoCmUBrJMf9J43ImANHIZ016yZCwie1FM3GXBhxsBJqttW