Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
8/4/22 12:34 a.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/4/22 2:06 a.m.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/4/22 5:45 a.m.

May be an image of 2 people, eyeglasses and text that says '@arkanememes @arkanememes THE DWIGHT STRIPES'

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/4/22 5:50 a.m.

May be an image of 6 people, people standing and text

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
8/4/22 10:11 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/22 10:47 a.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

Checks out. 

*edit. The rifle is still in my safe, but both guitars, the amp, and the pedal are all gone. Funny how things work because I'm way more of a guitar guy than a gun guy. 

Tell us more.

I went on a bit of a flintlock dive a few weeks ago after reading several Bernard Cornwell.  Other than the various non firing replicas, and some live replicas I found there's a company that can sell you a kit to build new old stock Brown Bess.  They found essentially a load of new old stock parts in Nepal that hadn't been touched for 150 plus years.  They'll pack up all the various metal parts and sell you a kit for a couple of grand with a new replica wooden stock.  Is that one of those?  

(Yes, that's a shorter Baker not a Brown Bess in the pic, but I always liked the British green riflemens uniform from the Napolionic wars)  

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
8/4/22 10:56 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Tell us more.

I went on a bit of a flintlock dive a few weeks ago after reading several Bernard Cornwell.  Other than the various non firing replicas, and some live replicas I found there's a company that can sell you a kit to build new old stock Brown Bess.  They found essentially a load of new old stock parts in Nepal that hadn't been touched for 150 plus years.  They'll pack up all the various metal parts and sell you a kit for a couple of grand with a new replica wooden stock.  Is that one of those?  

(Yes, that's a shorter Baker not a Brown Bess in the pic, but I always liked the British green riflemens uniform from the Napolionic wars)  

Did they finally realize that sticking out like a sore thumb wasn't the greatest idea with ranged combat weapons?  

Somewhat related:  When my brother was in Afghanistan, he had the opportunity to buy a trap-door Enfield but he passed on it because he couldn't figure out how to get it home.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/4/22 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

How is the Sharpe series? I loved the tv show.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
8/4/22 11:24 a.m.

Mine is a kit from Traditions. Pretty straightforward to build as the lock comes assembled and nothing in it is very high tech. This particular model is the Kentucky Rifle, .50 caliber. Bluing the barrel was the trickiest part, and most of the work was just sanding. Shaping the stock (it comes shaped but there are a lot of high spots and the fit wasn't great). 
The bigger issue with flinters is the powder requirement. You can't use synthetic powders, at least not reliably. And last September the last US manufacturer of real BP closed its doors. They've supposedly reopened and started production again, but availability hasn't improved. There are a few brands of European import stuff, but good luck finding any. I've resorted to making my own, but it's not for everyone. 

*edit. A little more info Here

8/4/22 11:58 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Only done three so far, but I love them.  I like historical fiction, especially the way Bernard Cornwell does it.  I like that a lot of what he writes is based on real events, with a mixture of historical figures and his made up characters.  There's always lot's of lovely details on the equipment, terrain, conditions, and how life was, overlaid with a rollicking tail of bravery and daring.  At the end of each book he has a chapter highlighting what was accurate, and where and why he was taking license with the facts. I also like the way with his series he really develops the characters as they age and get promoted.

I've been reading his work on and off for years, but only just started the Sharpe series, and I never saw the TV version.  I've read all the Saxon Stories / The last Kingdom except the most recent ones.  I tried the TV version of that, but couldn't really get along with it.  I think it's because I'd been reading that series for a decade before they made it into a TV series, by that time I had such a detailed internal view and monologue of the characters, that they didn't quite jive with the TV portrayal.  I need to go back and try again.  I have read that Bernard Cornwell was so impressed with Sean Bean that in the later novels he actually slightly adapted the character to be closer to Sean Bean he did such a good job.

8/4/22 11:59 a.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

Cheers.  But damn it, now there's another long thread I need to invest time into reading!

barefootcyborg5000
8/4/22 12:39 p.m.

Eh. That page and the one before and after maybe have all the flintlock info. I'll dig up my scratch-built BP thread too as it'll need updating soon. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/4/22 12:50 p.m.

I'm just breaking ya balls.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
8/4/22 12:55 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
8/4/22 12:56 p.m.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
8/4/22 1:02 p.m.
SaltyDog said:
Ranger50 said:

"Back in my day", Jeep guys needed that foot for the clutch.

My Jeep has a clutch, but I rarely use it for shifting.

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
8/4/22 1:04 p.m.

Not technically a meme...

barefootcyborg5000
8/4/22 1:30 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I'm just breaking ya balls.

Technically, I didn't buy a gun at all. I bought a kit. Even then, ATF doesn't consider BP sticks to even BE firearms, so....

And I do realize my argument comes off as even more hipster. 
edit for meme:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/4/22 1:35 p.m.

Ah, I remember the good old days.  A long ago time when PEOPLE USED TO ACTUALLY POST MEMES IN THIS THREAD!  laugh

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.memecdn.com%2Fthe-good-old-days_o_920281.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/4/22 1:39 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
8/4/22 5:15 p.m.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
8/4/22 5:29 p.m.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue HalfDork
8/4/22 6:27 p.m.