Not the ones starring Christopher Walken. laugh

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
12/7/22 7:38 p.m.

My favorite priest devil

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/7/22 8:41 p.m.

I've watched so many  Father Ted episodes... so many times have I come home from work and channeled my inner Father Jack:

"DRINK!!!"

P3PPY
P3PPY Dork
12/7/22 8:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Communion memes are incredibly hard to find.

They're like communism memes, but with more food. 

ba-dum-tiss

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/7/22 9:36 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I read that in his voice and cadence. Thank you.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
12/7/22 10:22 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/8/22 1:45 a.m.

Ok the communion wafer cereal produced a solid chuckle.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
12/8/22 4:00 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/8/22 8:10 a.m.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/8/22 8:26 a.m.

PMRacing
PMRacing UltraDork
12/8/22 9:04 a.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/22 9:11 a.m.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/8/22 9:12 a.m.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
12/8/22 9:15 a.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

Those massive blind spots in most of the vehicles today were caused by vehicle regulations.  Most flagrantly:

1) Pedestrian impact regulations (making vehicle fronts higher and blunter)

2) Crash impact regulations, which seem to have raised beltlines and reduced the amount of glass area.

Adding 360 degree cameras helps, but what we've basically got now is people driving around in tanks- vehicles that are difficult to see out of without electronic aids.  

1970:

1970 Chevrolet Pickup - C/10 - Great Driver - SEE VIDEO Stock # 7010CVO for sale near Mundelein ...

2022:

2022 Chevy Silverado Zrx | Chevy2020.Com

The majority of the focus has been on making everyone safer in the event of a collision, at the expense of visibility to avoid said collision.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/8/22 9:37 a.m.

I'm curious what amount of the added height of a new F150 is from regulation.  I dont think its much, if any.  I bet most of it is styling and capacity - need a place for cooling an engine making 1341543154315 horsepower moving at slow speed towing an entire neighborhood up a mountain.

Edit:  Plus the (base) tires alone on a 2022 are 4" taller than a 1990.  I dont think any regulation forced that.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/8/22 9:50 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

As I understand, pedestrian safety regulations tend to be about bumper and hood shape, and where on a pedestrian's body a car would impact.

The idea is that a pedestrian should roll over the hood of a car if hit, not get cut off at the knees.

I'm pretty certain trucks are not subjected to these same regulations because they're classified as "work vehicles" or "commercial vehicles" or some such. You are not rolling over the hood of the above truck.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/8/22 9:59 a.m.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
12/8/22 10:25 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I'm curious what amount of the added height of a new F150 is from regulation.  I dont think its much, if any.  I bet most of it is styling and capacity - need a place for cooling an engine making 1341543154315 horsepower moving at slow speed towing an entire neighborhood up a mountain.

Edit:  Plus the (base) tires alone on a 2022 are 4" taller than a 1990.  I dont think any regulation forced that.

There's also the need to make the suspension handle the added weight capacity that "half-ton" trucks can handle now, while simultaneously making the ride more comfortable since they have replaced other cars as the family hauler.  And keeping the cab/doghouse looking right when upping the height of the bedsides so they can advertise a higher cubic foot capacity.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/8/22 10:33 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
ProDarwin said:

There's also the need to make the suspension handle the added weight capacity that "half-ton" trucks can handle now, while simultaneously making the ride more comfortable since they have replaced other cars as the family hauler.  And keeping the cab/doghouse looking right when upping the height of the bedsides so they can advertise a higher cubic foot capacity.

Right.

Manufacturers are absolutely capable of making stuff the size they used to be.  Yes, some visibility has decreased, but I would argue the amount of that driven by regulation is minimal, the amount driven by styling/buyers is significant.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/8/22 10:42 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

As I understand, pedestrian safety regulations tend to be about bumper and hood shape, and where on a pedestrian's body a car would impact.

The idea is that a pedestrian should roll over the hood of a car if hit, not get cut off at the knees.

I'm pretty certain trucks are not subjected to these same regulations because they're classified as "work vehicles" or "commercial vehicles" or some such. You are not rolling over the hood of the above truck.

What else could possibly explain the bulbous noses on all the new Toyota/Lexus trucks and utes?

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Dork
12/8/22 10:44 a.m.

I'd think there wouldn't be any supercars left if you were required to have a big blunt front end like the trucks have.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
12/8/22 10:44 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

True.

I've lived in Indianapolis for almost 20 years, and haven't been to PRI yet.  Because credentials.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/8/22 10:45 a.m.

In reply to PMRacing :

I solved this problem the same way my parents did. I taught my kids to not sit around vehicles or play in the street and to look both ways carefully before crossing the street. It seems to have worked. None of them have been run over yet and no useless regulations were required. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
12/8/22 11:09 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
ProDarwin said:

Here is the thing

The US does NOT include pedestrian impact regulations. There is no truth to the myth that the massive frontal area on new trucks is for pedestrian safety when the opposite is true and they are much more dangerous

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-20-419

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-06/u-s-new-car-safety-ratings-are-overdue-for-update

Anyway, apologies for interrupting the meme thread so as pennance

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/8/22 12:00 p.m.

Gentlemen,  gentlemen! The memes!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s3cYOijGT3k51BlA9vsafBAFurhjCox1mumapLV8w3yDeUa3F9LAiTSXGqmY2KIq