1/30/23 6:51 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/30/23 9:02 a.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/30/23 9:08 a.m.
NickD said:

Not pictured: those cars selling so poorly that some dealerships converted them to regular Road Runners and Chargers so they could get them off the lot

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/30/23 9:21 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

Not pictured: those cars selling so poorly that some dealerships converted them to regular Road Runners and Chargers so they could get them off the lot

My mother evidently had a choice of one of those or a new Vega off a dealer lot back in the day.

Well, She, not he, but you get the picture. 

Told her what they were worth circa 2003 and she about fell over. 

RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter)
RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/30/23 10:07 a.m.
Apexcarver said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

My mother evidently had a choice of one of those or a new Vega off a dealer lot back in the day.

Well, She, not he, but you get the picture. 

Told her what they were worth circa 2003 and she about fell over. 

I had a chance to buy a "field- find" Daytona with a cracked block, when I was 19-20, for $3500. Too bad I was flat broke. 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/30/23 10:13 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/30/23 10:51 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
NickD said:

From what I understand, the Daytonas sold pretty well, but there was only 500 of those (Actually, I think it was 400-something, Dodge sold less than required and fudged the numbers and nobody noticed). The Superbirds though entered a saturated market and had to sell almost 2000 of them. According to experts though, the amount actually converted back to Roadrunners was not that large. Remember, there was a lot more to converting a Roadrunner to a Superbird, like they used '70 Coronet front fenders. It also just doesn't make sense: you have an expensive car that nobody will buy, so you're going to put even more money into it? Most of them just slashed prices aggressively to get them gone. A lot of the supposedly "converted at dealer cars" were really cars that got into accidents a couple years down the road and the parts weren't available to fix it.

That being said, yeah, they were a suck car when new. You couldn't see where the nose was when you were trying to park them (my parents had a mid-'90s Lumina Monte Carlo, and I can see where the issue would be from driving that), they were really expensive, the build quality was pretty crude even by those standards, and people weren't that crazy on the styling. Also, they had to be built and delivered with two separate jacks because there's no front bumper to hook a bumper jack to. A sometimes giveaway on whether it's a clone or not is how many jacks it has in the trunk: if it has a scissor jack and a bumper jack it's either real or a very good clone. If it has just the bumper jack, likely a clone.

I'm reminded of what the one big Chevy collector said about COPO Camaros: "I don't even see what the big fuss is. It's just a cheapass Camaro with a different engine." He had one because everyone had to have one, but he didn't think there was anything that great about it, and he was likely right. I went to a Pure Stock drag once and watched a COPO Camaro get it's ass handed to it every run (they did best-of-3 matchups) by a 327/4-speed '67 Biscayne.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/30/23 12:37 p.m.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue HalfDork
1/30/23 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

It's a good meme, and thumb-uppable. Anecdotally speaking, though, I once did a tune-up on my '72 MGB with a new Bosch condenser. It ran okay until it didn't. Swapped the old Lucas piece back in and it was happy again.

Meme related only by nationality:

NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/30/23 3:26 p.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/30/23 5:31 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniNoMore (Forum Supporter) :

I autocross with someone that traded his Shelby GT500 mustang for a new Pinto.

Edited for meme:

David Elfering
David Elfering Reader
1/30/23 5:51 p.m.

1/30/23 6:08 p.m.
David Elfering said:

I'm sure it will! Be sure to set the temperature on "clean."

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/30/23 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

My Uncle Bud owned this Shelby - I've posted this before.  

Trade a '65 Shelby for a Vega?

Somehow they got the Vega year wrong.  I remember going to the CanAm races in 1970 or 1971 at Road America in his Chevrolet Vega or "the sh1tbox" as my dad called it. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/30/23 6:52 p.m.

Re: bidet usage... I've never had a heated one.  I have an unheated one and it seems to be fine in any temp here in NC :shrug:   Your tap water can't get colder than 33f, right?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/30/23 7:22 p.m.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
1/30/23 8:44 p.m.

Not really a meme, but having 3 kids changes things......*insert Nicolas Coppola "Ya don't say"meme

"Now I realize what is important to me is enjoying spending time with my children at home"

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/30/23 8:58 p.m.
Duke said:

Chuck would have liked that one.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
1/30/23 9:21 p.m.

I bought a '67 Volvo Amazon from the second owner a few years back. He'd gotten the car in 1974, second hand, and traded the dealer an Olds 442 for it. 

In fairness, I still have the Amazon, while it's likely that Olds was wrapped around a tree, after going airborne, "Free Bird" playing on the stereo, on a candy-wrapper slick road after a rainstorm one night by a high school kid giving a joyride to some other guy's girl who banked a turn a little too hard. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/30/23 9:26 p.m.

1/30/23 9:38 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Reminds me of this meme:

Andy's toys and Andy's mom's toys have the same names. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cbuOLmf3jzEKL7CDdfIbNWp38lrbuGf64gh89lcUUapGxdWjE2yEtgSxwop3atVj