Please people, for the children.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/7/21 9:44 a.m.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/7/21 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I remember one day spending a long time as a kid trying to figure out how to spell "haf to". I knew that haf wasn't a word, but I really didn't know which real word was supposed to use.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/7/21 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Peabody :

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
3/7/21 11:21 a.m.
Peabody said:

Please people, for the children.

I could answer that question, but it would potentially be flounderous, and would definitely offend someone. I will simply say, therefore, that we homeschool our kids, and leave the rest up to the imagination of the audience.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/7/21 11:29 a.m.

My breakfast this morning

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/7/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

You wouldn't offend me. I live in Ontario where teachers make 6 figures, only work half the year and have a full time ruthless PR department that has parents convinced that they're underpaid, overworked heroes

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/7/21 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

I had that discussion with a math teacher's wife.

She told me "he only gets paid 10 months of the year you know!"

My reply was: "He gets paid a salary, that's a set amount for the year, paid out in a set number of installments. If he can't budget for two months of vacation in the summer, he's a lousy math teacher"

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/7/21 5:48 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I have never worked more hours in a year than as a teacher.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/21 8:07 a.m.

Anyone who thinks that teachers have an easy life with summers off is just purposefully ignorant.  We're very close with three teaches, three different districts in two states.  They are some of the hardest working longest hours out there with very little support who put way too much of their own money into the class room.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/21 8:10 a.m.

Possible there are differences in Canada and the US?

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/21 8:14 a.m.

Dunno, smae thing applys to those back in the UK so it's not just the US

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/8/21 8:16 a.m.
Peabody said:

Should've is a contraction of should have, that when spoken, sounds like should of.  Problem solved, let's go to the next dumb outrage.

Unless we go to an alphabet/language where every letter is phonetically distinct, and has only one pronunciation, this will be something for people to get their panties in a wad about forever.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/8/21 8:50 a.m.

In reply to mtn (Forum Supporter) :

Ontario teachers pension plan is currently worth $207 billion.  They are well paid, and have a sweetheart pension.  They work in class about 200 days a year.  Other than hanging around with a bunch of kids, sounds like a sweetheart deal to me.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
3/8/21 9:11 a.m.

194 school days in Ontario. I’m good friends with a number of teachers. None will privately dispute what I said. All will dispute it publicly. Two of them retired this year because of Covid, at 55 with full pension that pays over 50k/yr plus a significant cash payout on top. The average teacher pay in Ontario is over 100k/yr. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/8/21 9:35 a.m.
Peabody said:

194 school days in Ontario. I’m good friends with a number of teachers. None will privately dispute what I said. All will dispute it publicly. Two of them retired this year because of Covid, at 55 with full pension that pays over 50k/yr plus a significant cash payout on top. The average teacher pay in Ontario is over 100k/yr. 

And they are responsible for teaching your kids basically everything. Chances are, if you ask any random person who the most influential people in their life are, you'll find a teacher or two on the list. If monetary compensation reflects someone's contribution to society, teachers do deserve good pay.

For you Ontario people, remember that some of those days the kids aren't in school are for teachers to go to school. They aren't running around in the park like your kids are. And they've got homework like your kids do.

25 years ago, average time to burnout of a music teacher in Ontario was something like 18 months. And before you start calling 200 days a year "half", do some basic math about how many days you work a year. And think about who taught it to you.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/8/21 9:37 a.m.

Threadpictures | This Thread is Useless Without Pictures....… | Flickr

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
3/8/21 9:45 a.m.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/8/21 9:59 a.m.

Let's be careful what we do here. 

NickD