5/26/22 5:44 p.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/26/22 5:46 p.m.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
5/26/22 6:35 p.m.
NickD said:

Half the calls were probably trying to sell him an extended warranty...

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/26/22 7:05 p.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/26/22 7:58 p.m.
NickD said:

Late in the CJ7 production run, the stamping dies were so worn out that rather than invest in new dies, Jeep put stickers on the stampings. 

People did call them Joops.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/26/22 8:36 p.m.
Noddaz said:
NickD said:

Still, I'd suggest that if you're lost in the mountains it's probably a good idea to answer even possible spam calls. Unless you're just a giant freakin' idiot who wants to become a poster child for giant freakin' idiots. In which case, mission accomplished by this giant freakin' idiot who could easily have become a dead giant freakin' idiot. Might have helped the gene pool a little.

Contractually required mildly relevant meme.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/26/22 9:32 p.m.

Maybe the dude just wanted to, you know, get lost for awhile.  Maybe he neither wanted nor needed to get rescued.  Who are these busybodies that feel like they have to be out rescuing people without even getting their permission first?  Sheeesh.

signed,

The Devil's Advocate

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shopify.com%2Fs%2Ffiles%2F1%2F1010%2F9416%2Fproducts%2F0250_LSTK.png%3Fv%3D1516380854&f=1&nofb=1

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/26/22 9:40 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Then maybe you tell the people who know you're out hiking that you may be gone for several days as you find yourself (literally) so you don't waste a bunch of everyone's time. I've got friends who volunteer as S&R and they don't like finding dead hikers or risking themselves hunting through the night. Colorado mountains ain't no city park.

The hiker was reported missing around 8pm on 18 October after failing to return to where he was staying, Lake county search and rescue said.

"One notable take-away is that the subject ignored repeated phone calls from us because they didn't recognize the number," LCSAR wrote. "If you're overdue according to your itinerary, and you start getting repeated calls from an unknown number, please answer the phone; it may be a SAR team trying to confirm you're safe!"

LCSAR said that this hiker lost the trail around nightfall and walked through the night trying to find it. Once back on the trail, the hiker had to check several trailheads before they found the one where they'd parked their vehicle.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/26/22 10:27 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Wow - I thought this was one of the onion type articles.  I didn't know this was real.   

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/26/22 10:59 p.m.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/27/22 12:40 a.m.

I used to work S&R in New Mexico before I retired.  You would not believe the number of searches that ended up finding the missing hunter at a local motel, or hunting 50 miles from where he said he was going to hunt.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ Reader
5/27/22 1:03 a.m.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/27/22 6:46 a.m.

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
5/27/22 7:19 a.m.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/27/22 7:27 a.m.

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
5/27/22 7:52 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Noddaz said:
NickD said:

Still, I'd suggest that if you're lost in the mountains it's probably a good idea to answer even possible spam calls. Unless you're just a giant freakin' idiot who wants to become a poster child for giant freakin' idiots. In which case, mission accomplished by this giant freakin' idiot who could easily have become a dead giant freakin' idiot. Might have helped the gene pool a little.

I saw an episode of the original Adam-12.  There was an old lady in the neighborhood who was going off about something.  Made me realize EXACTLY what that states.  It's always been there.  At least back to the 60s. Twitgrambooktok has just made it visible. 
Now, totally unrelated meme

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/27/22 7:54 a.m.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/27/22 8:08 a.m.
Wxdude10 - Mike said:
Keith Tanner said:
Noddaz said:
NickD said:

I saw an episode of the original Adam-12.  There was an old lady in the neighborhood who was going off about something.  Made me realize EXACTLY what that states.  It's always been there.  At least back to the 60s. Twitgrambooktok has just made it visible. 
Now, totally unrelated meme

It's like how people complain about the latest stupid challenges on Instagram or TikTok. But then look at the 1920s and pole-sitting was a common stunt, and you had a guy that rolled a peanut up Pikes Peak with his nose (seriously) and a guy that tried to walk backwards around the world. People haven't changed at all, and did just as much dumb E36 M3 100 years ago

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/27/22 8:08 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
anf7XLeSVCzwxf0qPcwldOm2RjeX5zDxrO4cPcs0UhDxxmjMNuISg9yDHiLfti74