1 2 3
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
2/26/22 7:39 a.m.
aircooled said:
914Driver said:

...All that compressed air hit the two ball valves and they iced up, can't close them so sea water rushed in....

Sounds like one of those "You don't know what you don't know" kind of things.

If the valves ice up, airflow stops, sub doesn't get positive bouyancy.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/26/22 7:48 a.m.

Iced up and couldn't return to the closed position.

But I'm confused by Navy digital outfits.  If you fall from the deck of a carrier into the ocean at night, you sure you want to be dressed like this?  (I live near the West Milton site).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/26/22 8:07 a.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to alfadriver :

I have seen a picture (and may still have somewhere) of my god father standing next to rickover at a control panel on the bridge of that one, in about '58, IIRC. Radical stuff at the time. laugh

I imagine a lot of locals didn't pay much attention to what uniform it was. Or knew, and also knew why!

Heard a lot of good stories from folks the got to go. 

Given that many of the population worked out at the Site, too- everyone knew why they were out there.  The only things that locals could not do is visit the location, even if you worked at the INEL.

The one thing that few outsiders know is that the Site was originally a Naval gun range before the experimental reactors were put in late in the 40s.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
2/26/22 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

This.  HP air doesn’t get through the control valves and into the ballast tanks to push the water out if the control valves get blocked.   The path back through the valves is to the HP storage tanks  which are at a much much higher pressure than what’s needed to overcome sea pressure.  

There are vent valves at the tops of the tanks to let trapped air out (if you see videos of a sub submerging you can see the vapor plumes from the vents) but the bottoms of the tanks are open to the sea with just gratings to keep debris out.  

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
2/26/22 1:24 p.m.
914Driver said:

Iced up and couldn't return to the closed position.

But I'm confused by Navy digital outfits.  If you fall from the deck of a carrier into the ocean at night, you sure you want to be dressed like this?  (I live near the West Milton site).

They are phased out now back to brown and brown.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gJDfebMrUqxwnSNuP8i8LIG9CMUUOYG4IzHKwn1RkdGmAj567xao5JkeNc7H8NF2