RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/31/12 7:30 a.m.

I bought an oscilloscope off of craigslist and it came with a bunch of junk. Mostly; microwave amplifiers. See my own hotlink below:

(Here's a link to a larger version: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/7304619696_2e804e05ec_k.jpg )

What is this stuff? What's it good for? Is it worth money? Can it make my Miata faster? Can I cook bacon from my house while the pig is still out in the field?

Thanks, Ross

drmike
drmike Reader
5/31/12 7:57 a.m.

They are a few bits and pieces from the world of microwave communications. These parts are usually plugged into waveguide near banks of equipment racks.

It probably is worth a few bucks to someone who wants to play with satellite comm or cell phone stuff.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy PowerDork
5/31/12 8:18 a.m.

or cook small rodents with a parabolic antenna attached

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/31/12 8:33 a.m.

I do have an old DirecTv dish sitting five feet from the microwave amps...

Moving_Target
Moving_Target New Reader
5/31/12 8:48 a.m.

That is a hodgepodge of different frequency band RF components. I see bits like that where I work and unless you're in the specialized business of microwave communications, it's useless junk. Crazy expensive stuff to buy new if needed but for most normal people, it's junk. The C band stuff might be salable to a diehard big dish owner but I'm doubtful of the rest.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/31/12 8:51 a.m.

Well, now that they are labeled as mostly junk, maybe I'll use them as cases for my up coming tube amp projects; make something that looks like it belongs in the lab of Dr. Frankenstein.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6b5L3RxLienSNEdcsv07mEgnWa6KCLMklGEpHbXg1SeK0uiYEx1e5TXD7uwcgfae