Stampie
Stampie UberDork
7/19/18 7:58 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I have recently discovered that dragonflies like it when you touch their butts. They stick 'em way up in the air when they perch on things, it's really hard to resist. I have touched 12 dragonfly butts today.

Is that dragonfly of age?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/19/18 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

If they aren't, doea that make eastcoastmojo a dragonfly cougar?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/19/18 8:38 p.m.

This evening, I was very pleased to learn that my daughter and Earl Bamber stood next to a food truck and ate cannolis together.

I was, however, equally disappointed to learn that he did not leave with her phone number.

I feel as if I have failed as a parent.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
7/20/18 12:22 a.m.

I’m jealous of a few people. I really shouldn’t be, but it’s hard sometimes. I’m sure their lives aren’t as easy as it looks either. 

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
7/20/18 5:54 a.m.

I am losing my interest in oval racing, i still dont mind helping my friends with the cars, but just dont really want to go to the track anymore?

Its a bizarre feeling to have

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/20/18 8:03 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

I’m jealous of a few people. I really shouldn’t be, but it’s hard sometimes. I’m sure their lives aren’t as easy as it looks either. 

me too.   and it bothers me that i let it bother me.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/20/18 8:05 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
AWSX1686 said:

me too.   and it bothers me that i let it bother me.

I'm jealous of people who can stay focused on boring things, and people who can keep a house clean. I still haven't mastered either one of those. Maybe I should try to get an Adderall script. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/20/18 11:04 a.m.

To be fare, I'm viewed as a "Car God" by most of my friends because I've done a few things like clutches, engine swaps, and valve adjustments. In reality I'm a hack. Envy goes both ways, I suppose.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
7/20/18 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Same here, they act like I know things. I keep telling them I make things up as I go hoping it works. Usually it does not.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
7/20/18 12:10 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Same here, they act like I know things. I keep telling them I make things up as I go hoping it works. Usually it does not.

First step to fixing something is to quit being afraid of it.  I know a lot of people who won't do oil changes because they are scared of screwing it up.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
7/20/18 12:12 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

First step to fixing something is to quit being afraid of it.  I know a lot of people who won't do oil changes because they are scared of screwing it up.

Never stopped Jiffy Lube

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
7/20/18 12:17 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

First step to fixing something is to quit being afraid of it.  

Truth

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
7/20/18 12:21 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

In high school, a friend was driving home from a Jiffy Lube oil change and his motor locked up.  They forgot to refill it.  He quit going to Jiffy Lube after that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/20/18 2:39 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I have recently discovered that dragonflies like it when you touch their butts. They stick 'em way up in the air when they perch on things, it's really hard to resist. I have touched 12 dragonfly butts today.

Any sort of pleasure you can give them is good with me.  The number of mosquitos they eat makes me love helicopter bugs.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
7/20/18 2:58 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

In high school, a friend was driving home from a Jiffy Lube oil change and his motor locked up.  They forgot to refill it.  He quit going to Jiffy Lube after that.

This reminded me of a customer of mine from my auto shop days who called me because his car died and wouldn't start.

It took me about 15 minutes to get to where he was and when I did, he had the hood up and I could hear the tick, tick tick of the poor thing cooling down. I hit the key and heard a bad clunk. Took a couple of shop towels and grabbed the lower pulley and couldn't budge it. Checked the oil, nothing on the stick.

He says " But you just changed the oil!" I couldn't remember doing anything to the car recently. Checked the sticker and yup, I had just changed the oil. A year and 20,000+ miles ago!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/20/18 5:39 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Most things I’ve learned have been after I tried something, screwed it up, and then had to fix it the right way :P

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/20/18 5:44 p.m.

I got work at 7:30 this morning and I’ll probably get done at 9tonight. I’m not even upset because I’ve been clocking sweet sweet overtime since yesterday afternoon.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/20/18 6:24 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

We'd get a few service accounts where we do the maintenance/repair that their own internal departments aren't equipped for.  I couldn't tell you how many times we'd ask if they wanted us to add oil because there was nothing on the stick, and the answer was "No, we have a guy who does that."

No, no you do not.  You may have a guy but he isn't doing that.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
7/20/18 7:10 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Wally said:

I posted a mildly amusing slightly political photo on Facebook yesterday. It seems to have triggered something in my wife’s uncle and now I’ve enjoyed an entire day of winding him up. I’m home alone so I will probably work him over more. He’s already called her to complain and called me a libtard and a communist, ironic since he seems to support the KGB. 

Must have something to do with an orange dude swallowing his own foot...

Today I was blocked by two relatives, one of them called my mother. My cousin posted a picture of someone waving a Mexican flag with a racist caption about them coming to America and waving the flag of the country they fled. His profile pic is of him in all green hanging an Irish flag on his porch. He doesn’t live in Ireland. I copied the Mexican caption onto his pic and reposted it. My mother told him that I’m an shiny happy person but I can be pretty funny sometimes.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/20/18 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

I LOL'd!

If pointing out peoples' hypocrisy makes me a shiny happy person, then I'll hold hands.  (And now I have that dang REM song stuck in my head.... and I only know the main chorus, so this is really annoying)

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/20/18 7:39 p.m.
Wally said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Wally said:

I posted a mildly amusing slightly political photo on Facebook yesterday. It seems to have triggered something in my wife’s uncle and now I’ve enjoyed an entire day of winding him up. I’m home alone so I will probably work him over more. He’s already called her to complain and called me a libtard and a communist, ironic since he seems to support the KGB. 

Must have something to do with an orange dude swallowing his own foot...

Today I was blocked by two relatives, one of them called my mother. My cousin posted a picture of someone waving a Mexican flag with a racist caption about them coming to America and waving the flag of the country they fled. His profile pic is of him in all green hanging an Irish flag on his porch. He doesn’t live in Ireland. I copied the Mexican caption onto his pic and reposted it. My mother told him that I’m an shiny happy person but I can be pretty funny sometimes.

I think you are both hilarious, and brilliant.  I bet your relative hasn't got a berkeleying clue...

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
7/22/18 4:15 p.m.

I joined the dark side last week (bought a Macbook for school) and I actually kinda like it.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
7/22/18 6:40 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man :

Everyone likes to hate apple but as a technical idiot I find their stuff very easy to use.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
7/23/18 10:51 a.m.
bigeyedfish said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

I’ve had significant issues with my left knee since April but I’m better enough now to resume my normal activities. I changed the oil on my old 2003 Exploder yesterday and what came out made me feel like surrendering to APS (Automotive Protective Services)…absolutely jet black. But, at least I didn’t place the grand old lady’s fate in the hands of the biggest Jacktards in the universe know as Jiffy Lube.

I know, I know, I should have asked for help or looked for a competent mechanic…this is Minor Confessions; right?

NickD
NickD UberDork
7/24/18 5:52 a.m.
SaltyDog said:
bigeyedfish said:

In reply to RX Reven' :

This reminded me of a customer of mine from my auto shop days who called me because his car died and wouldn't start.

It took me about 15 minutes to get to where he was and when I did, he had the hood up and I could hear the tick, tick tick of the poor thing cooling down. I hit the key and heard a bad clunk. Took a couple of shop towels and grabbed the lower pulley and couldn't budge it. Checked the oil, nothing on the stick.

He says " But you just changed the oil!" I couldn't remember doing anything to the car recently. Checked the sticker and yup, I had just changed the oil. A year and 20,000+ miles ago!

We had a customer have their 2014 Spark towed in to the dealership, complaining of a no-start. Tech goes out to it and cranks it, no compression and coolant was spraying out of a cracked hose barb on the reservoir with each revolution. Tear it down and the head is warped, block has been overheated and bores 2 and 3 are severely scored. Vehicle needs an engine, car is still under powertrain, so the tech orders one. Then our boss is doing the necessary paperwork and sees that the last time it was at the dealership for an oil change was 13 months and 28,000 miles ago. He calls the customer, hoping that they have been taking it somewhere else for service, and asks for service receipts and the customer says "But you guys do all my service?" Well, that engine replacement is no longer warranty. Funny enough though, it wasn't the 28k mile oil change that killed the engine, it was the cracked coolant jug

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VCOlbSzFZcrZIg6NS6OAkIR575NxISYO1jPWLCAXIgMHNANQF1TjsG8xM6Uuh7uI