dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/19/18 8:38 a.m.
Woody said:

I’m too tire-cheap for burnouts. 

Spare rims and used tires, but then again I'm immature enough I kill 2-3 sets a summer. 

Minor confession for the day: I'm going to buy a 7th vintage bicycle when I still have 2 torn apart in my basement. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/20/18 12:49 p.m.

If I were a former carpenter starting my own band, I might call it The Stainless Screws. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
9/20/18 12:57 p.m.

The Dancer really, really hates spiders. I'm far more ambivalent toward them, and go out of my way to not kill them when she sees one and screams for me to kill it (can only do so half the time- if it's someplace that I miss catching with my bug-grabber and it gets away and we're either in our bedroom or adjacent she will threaten to sleep in the guest room until I get rid of it, so I have to just squash it because it would take me forever to find again). This isn't much of a confession- she knows this well. She doesn't know that if I come across a harmless one (read: wolf spiders) someplace in the house that is out of the way and she's unlikely to see it, I will on occasion just ignore it or shush it out of the way.

I find it rather ironic how much she complains about bugs in our house in general yet insists on killing the ones that spend their entire lives trying to eat all of the rest of them...

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
9/20/18 1:02 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

The Dancer really, really hates spiders. I'm far more ambivalent toward them, and go out of my way to not kill them when she sees one and screams for me to kill it (can only do so half the time- if it's someplace that I miss catching with my bug-grabber and it gets away and we're either in our bedroom or adjacent she will threaten to sleep in the guest room until I get rid of it, so I have to just squash it because it would take me forever to find again). This isn't much of a confession- she knows this well. She doesn't know that if I come across a harmless one (read: wolf spiders) someplace in the house that is out of the way and she's unlikely to see it, I will on occasion just ignore it or shush it out of the way.

I find it rather ironic how much she complains about bugs in our house in general yet insists on killing the ones that spend their entire lives trying to eat all of the rest of them...

My wife found this waiting for her at one of the gates in our fence and now says we have to move

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
9/20/18 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

I agree with your wife.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/18 2:09 p.m.

Your wife is in for a rude awakening. Spiders are everywhere. 

Cadman5
Cadman5 New Reader
9/20/18 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

They probably walk across her in the middle of the night...and she doesn't even know it...

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/20/18 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Just go out at night wearing a headlamp... the spider eyes catch the light and you can see them every-freakin'-where.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
9/20/18 2:25 p.m.

Spider bro just wants to snack on some bugs and chill. Live him alone.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/20/18 2:42 p.m.

Im scared of snakes and spiders. 

Like 8 year old girl scared.

I lose my E36 M3. The dancer has the right idea. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/20/18 2:50 p.m.

I used to be very scared of spiders, I inherited arachnophobia from, well everyone in my family. Then 20 years ago we moved into an old house (100+ yrs old in some sections) and I learned to deal with them. We get huge spiders in the house, like 2" + legspan. My appreciation for them has grown over the years, as our bug population has remained remarkably low. Granted, I still don't want one on me, but I will relocate them to outside using an old piece of Tupperware that we have dubbed the Spider Relocation Pod. 

We have a huge spider that builds her web right outside the kitchen window every night. I think she is awesome. 

My confession: I am enjoying a nice cold tequila shot right now. laugh

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/20/18 2:57 p.m.

Our house had been pretty derelict and had a horrible moisture incursion problem into the (finished) basement when we bought it. I found some of the largest spiders I've ever seen in Ohio down there. One of them I swear was the size of a small mouse. The body was fat and almost the size of my thumb and its legs weren't that long but it was hairy. I thought it was amazing, but obviously wasn't thrilled about having dozens of them in my house. I wish I got a good pic of it. I did get a pic of the wolf spider in my garage that was well over 2" across, that was a super cool guy, well girl probably, but the body was nowhere near the size of that monster I found in our basement.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/18 3:07 p.m.

Y'all who don't like spiders better not look up house centipedes.

They're awesome and eat a ton of other bugs.  You'd just really prefer not to know they're around.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
9/20/18 3:09 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Your wife is in for a rude awakening. Spiders are everywhere. 

I came across a study a few years ago that indicated the average person will ingest something like 4-5 spiders during their lifetime as a result of them crawling into their mouth while they’re sleeping...something about them being attracted to CO2 or some such.

My confession, I may pull the trigger on a new Mazda CX 3 even though GRM just reviewed them and were underwhelmed…please forgive me all great overlords of the automotive world.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
9/20/18 3:18 p.m.

Y'all want to see some real spiders just head to southern UT right now. Two tarantulas on my front porch in the last week. Big spiders of all kinds, hundreds of black widows if you know where to look. Some big light brown fellows that I've always called sun spiders (wife calls them camel spiders but neither of us are experts) that get much larger than any tarantula I've ever seen, larger than my hand anyway. Good stuff. Funnel web spiders, wolf spiders, you name it. Also scorpions, big ones.

*edit: arachnids in dispute look to be called funnel web spiders

Image result for funnel web spiders

I've seen these guys (or something that looks very similar) with 2" long bodies inside my house. Not for the squeemish.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/18 3:20 p.m.
Duke said:

They're awesome and eat a ton of other bugs.  You'd just really prefer not to know they're around.

True story: I jumped out of the shower, and bellied up to the sink to check out my face. Felt something. Looked down to see one of those quick moving bastards rocket out from under the sink, DOWN MY HOOTUS, down my leg, and disappear into the baseboard.

I was less than thrilled. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/20/18 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

That's worse than bedliner!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/20/18 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Holy motherberkeleyer!!!!

NOPE!!!!!!

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UltraDork
9/20/18 4:08 p.m.
Duke said:

House centipedes- known in our house (and so named by the Dancer) as 'Leechipedes' for some long-lost reason. I used to just call them 'Ugly bugs.' The house we rented before we got married and bought our current house was thick with the things, and the Dancer hates them even more than spiders. I don't quite have the same good-will toward them as I do spiders, but that's in part because the spiders tend to at least be somewhat more cooperative in letting me catch and relocate them while the leechipedes just bug the heck out and usually get squashed.

The new house, despite having a much higher number of spiders, has been largely leechipede-free much to the Dancer's delight. I've seen a few running around on the back deck, but not said anything to her about it.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/20/18 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Yeah but try and think how that house centipede felt about the encounter laugh. I'm sure he didn't expect a wet hootus to come out of nowhere.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/20/18 5:21 p.m.

I took this picture when my unit was packing up to go home after a week long comm excercise in the Withlacoochee State Forest (that's the name, I swear!). This guy (or gal) was hiding under a stack of transit cases. It was cold because it was moving slowly. The card is a full sized business card for reference. Someone braver than me scooped it up on some cardboard and placed it in the brush about 20 feet away.

And to think the sleeping tent was next to the HQ tent. That spider probably would of carried me off in the middle of the night surprise

It was a cool place though.

Karacticus
Karacticus Dork
9/20/18 9:26 p.m.

So, I’m looking at a total joint replacement of my left knee in approximately three weeks. 

As part of the preparations, I’m scheduled to attend a two hour “joint class” next week. 

I doubt it has anything to do with medical marijuana.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
9/20/18 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Karacticus :

Maybe there's an afterparty.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/21/18 3:36 a.m.

https://educateinspirechange.org/nature/an-entomologist-explains-why-not-to-kill-spiders-in-your-home/

Confession:  while I don’t believe I have a drinking problem, I will certainly cop to having a drinking “habit”.  Nearly every evening around 9-10 pm I have 1-2 small glasses of bourbon.   I enjoy the taste and I find it relaxing.

Last night I skipped it and didn’t fall asleep well and am now awake at 4:30.  I want my bourbon back!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
9/21/18 11:01 a.m.

I just spent 45 minutes of on the clock time in the small fab shop my boss has set up in back gusseting a 1947 bicycle frame. Instead of complaining my boss welded it in while I went back too work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jGmQfiRuYgJ3E97hem9fwJ5F7UvyRKMrDdOvI7iIWulx9OwysE7kzjFd3eePIzWN