dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/2/18 9:42 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:
dropstep said:

I'm going to try to speed rust a gusset welded into a 1947 bicycle so that it matches the patina better. 

Pix?

Couldn't get a 100% match but atleast it doesn't look like a shiny new peice. Yes the welds are ugly, 1/8 inch plate onto thin walk tubing sucked.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/2/18 9:56 a.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Hand rub a little candle wax onto the gusset.  That will smooth it out just a bit and darken it a little.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/2/18 2:36 p.m.

Been dreaming about becoming good enough at drifting to be in Formula Drift.

Even with that being probably one of the easier pro series to get into, reality says that's highly unlikely. 

Heck I'd love to even just be the guy to build cars for them... Maybe slightly more likely, but still a long shot. I'd love to hone my fab skills to the point that I could be a go to guy for people who need an awesome car built.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/2/18 2:57 p.m.

I was just offered 8k for the stepside. I told him to bring me the money and ill detail it and redo the interior before he signs the title. 

The confession? I'm not sure i really want to sell it despite almost doubling my money. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
10/2/18 3:35 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Even with that being probably one of the easier pro series to get into, reality says that's highly unlikely. 

That series used to be fairly grassroots, but nowadays, the cars have gotten so out of hand. 800+hp, G-Force transmissions, quick-change rearends, 75 degrees of steering angle, full carbon fiber/composite body work on quick-releases, rear-mount radiators.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/3/18 7:49 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Lately I have been looking at all the E36 M3 that owns me. Been really overwhelmed by it all. So I pulled the trash can to the workbench tonight and...

The confession part is that i didn't even try to sort most of the E36 M3 on the bench. It just went to the trash.

The bench is 17 feet long. Ive been working on the floor. 

Better that you made the decision on your own, and did it on your own timescale.  Speaking from experience, it's harder when those two aspects are forced upon you, although frequently realizing you need to do it can be the most difficult part.  So, congrats!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/3/18 8:01 a.m.

The workbench was the easy one. Next is "cold storage ". 50x30 full of E36 M3. Disorganized, unknown, dirty, random E36 M3.

Its gonna be a struggle.  This picture is after 3 truckloads have already left over the last month.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/3/18 8:01 a.m.

I cut someone off this morning. Hard. I drive a truck with a topper, so rear viability sucks. I angle my mirrors out pretty far because of it. A low slung black Kia Stinger was in the perfect spot for me not to see him. The horns on them must be weak as hell, because, even though he was wailing on it right next to me, it sounded like it was 200yds away. 

I felt like such an shiny happy person.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/3/18 8:32 a.m.

I've been spending a lot of time driving my father's car lately. It has Florida handicapped plates on it.

I try not to drive like an a-hole, but I also forgive myself for the occasional lapse into sloppy driving habits, because I believe that other driver's expect that of me.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/3/18 9:42 a.m.
NickD said:
AWSX1686 said:

That series used to be fairly grassroots, but nowadays, the cars have gotten so out of hand. 800+hp, G-Force transmissions, quick-change rearends, 75 degrees of steering angle, full carbon fiber/composite body work on quick-releases, rear-mount radiators.

Yeah, I've only more recently even followed it a little bit, but it does seem like they've stepped up the game a lot. On one side of things, that's pretty cool that they are making it a big thing, but on the other side it does make the bar of entry harder. 

I will say, watching some drift videos does make me want to keep the red e28 in spite of the title issues and drift it... Looks like I might even be able to swing a title in the future if I want to plot down about $400-600.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/3/18 9:59 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Where are you located?  My club runs non-judged drift events at Dover Speedway in Delaware.  It's very much a "slide what ya brung" program, but there are some cool built cars.  Next event is 21 October.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 SuperDork
10/3/18 10:07 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Where are you located?  My club runs non-judged drift events at Dover Speedway in Delaware.  It's very much a "slide what ya brung" program, but there are some cool built cars.  Next event is 21 October.

Waynesboro, PA

Looks like that's about 3 hours away. There is another one north of me called Drift Evergreen at Evergreen Raceway in Drums, PA (also 3 hours). I haven't been to that one yet, but I've met the guys who run it the past two years at NICO fest in Carlisle. I know they also do some drifting at Summit Point which is only an hour away. 

If I do keep the red e28 and set it up for drifting, it won't show itself till springtime at least. I definitely need practice, so if/when I do jump in, I may very well see you down there sometime. 

The nice thing is, from what I've seen, the amateur level drifting scene is pretty welcoming. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/4/18 12:20 p.m.

I want to write a book about dog training and call it “Listen, Bitch...”

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/4/18 12:48 p.m.

I’ve hated business cliches since 1985 and once was going to write a book listing them all.   “Get your ducks in a row”. “Run it up the flagpole”.  “Be sure to touch all the bases”.  

If I hear one more time; “hey, at the end of the day all that matters.......” or “it’s a game changer” somebody is going to get smacked.   

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
10/4/18 1:08 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I’ve hated business cliches since 1985 and once was going to write a book listing them all.   “Get your ducks in a row”. “Run it up the flagpole”.  “Be sure to touch all the bases”.  

If I hear one more time; “hey, at the end of the day all that matters.......” or “it’s a game changer” somebody is going to get smacked.   

The most annoying to me are the military analogies…"let’s be less tactical and more strategic."

Um, you’re not a Navy Seal, you’re a middle aged flabby guy that routinely gets lost in the cube farm.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
10/4/18 4:55 p.m.

I was installing some bracing in our new out building today. I drove a screw that missed the target so I backed it out and it fell off the bit directly into my mouth. I now have a burn on my tongue and both lips. Working over your head with your mouth open is really dumb. I'd make a lousy plumber.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/4/18 5:05 p.m.
RX Reven' said:
Datsun310Guy said:

The most annoying to me are the military analogies…"let’s be less tactical and more strategic."

Um, you’re not a Navy Seal, you’re a middle aged flabby guy that routinely gets lost in the cube farm.

My favorite one is "teamwork makes the dream work", to which I love to reply "otherwise it's a E36 M3 show from the git-go".

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/4/18 5:22 p.m.

I watched a guy try to powerbrake his 6.0 powered 2500 chevy brodozer today and fail to spin a tire. He did manage to overheat the transmission, It made me laugh.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/4/18 7:59 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I’m putting that in a poster.  I also hate “In our wheelhouse”. We are not on a boat, we have no wheelhouse. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/4/18 8:04 p.m.

Yesterday was the first day I took for myself in about 8 months.  I had a doctors appointment and the rest of the days was going to be for catching up on E36 M3 around the house. I did nothing. I sat on my porch and ate breakfast listening to the radio, then I needed trash bags but got sidetracked and spent the rest of the day wandering around the FDR property, went to the doctor, then had a nice dinner. I accomplished absolutely nothing productive 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/4/18 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Taking time for yourself is absolutely productive and a very positive thing. Kudos for putting yourself first for once, don't feel guilty for it. laughyes

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/4/18 10:37 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:
RX Reven' said:
Datsun310Guy said:

My favorite one is "teamwork makes the dream work", to which I love to reply "otherwise it's a E36 M3 show from the git-go".

They hate my smart ass response.

There's NO I In team.

Yeah, well, there's an I in MIKE. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/5/18 5:08 a.m.

There's no I in team, but there is an M and an E.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/5/18 6:21 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

And fun is packed full of FU. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
10/5/18 6:21 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
74DQ7Sdwu6bkpEEKCJXQXC1mJGqH3lxYhOoNKQgm3h3By0fR1j615uqupumJEGYO