Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/24/19 8:47 p.m.

At some point in my life. I'm going to buy a ramp truck. Then roughly 5 weeks later wonder why the berk I have this huge thing I can almost never use taking up a huge amount of space on my property.

Like I know this but it's still gonna happen.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/25/19 12:14 a.m.

For some  reason, I went back about a year and a half in the Minor Rant thread. Man, I was an a dark place. If you go to about page 630 and start working your way up, you can watch me start slipping.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/25/19 6:07 a.m.

So I've been thinking for a while about wanting a 5.9 Dakota. I have a 5.9 but don't have a Dakota. I just found a roller on facebook listed for $150. The seller has mail. I think I'm going to have to find all the trailer gear again...

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
1/25/19 6:20 a.m.

The alternator died on the Kia Koup Kommuter yesterday on the way home from work. I had it tested at the local AdvanceZone to confirm my suspicions. I decided to buy another battery to hot swap on the side of the road when it inevitably dies on the way to work this morning.

And I chickened out this morning and called into work. I came to the realization that my name is not David Freiburger or Mike Finnegan. I really didn't feel like swapping a battery on the side of a freeway, in the dark, in my work clothes just so I might make it the 30 miles to get to work.

I'm either getting wiser or getting softer as I get closer to 40.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
1/25/19 7:40 a.m.

I haven't changed the oil in my daily driver Saturn in over two years. I feel like I should be reported for "car neglect" 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/25/19 7:42 a.m.

The last time I wrenched on a car it was to remove the back seat of my wife's car to clean dog vomit.  

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
1/25/19 7:58 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

I haven't changed the oil in my daily driver Saturn in over two years. I feel like I should be reported for "car neglect" 

It's a Saturn so you probably add enough oil regularly that it is always fairly fresh. 

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
1/25/19 8:03 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

That's how my miata died. "Sure, it's been 18 months since I changed the oil but I only put 600 miles on, I'd know if I was burning that much".

Apparently not.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/25/19 2:37 p.m.

Well. Dakota seller gave me too much time think about how I don't need a 4th project car that requires robbing parts from the 3rd one. So I've changed my mind. Having less than  roughly $500 in a v8 beater mini truck was an appealling thought.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/25/19 9:09 p.m.

Deciding to go out drinking with the squad after finding out the new employer berked up payroll was possibly my worst decision to date. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/25/19 9:11 p.m.
Daylan C said:

At some point in my life. I'm going to buy a ramp truck. Then roughly 5 weeks later wonder why the berk I have this huge thing I can almost never use taking up a huge amount of space on my property.

Like I know this but it's still gonna happen.

i'm thinking you'll get to use it. smiley

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/28/19 8:06 a.m.

I almost won the CNY SCCA Cone-Killer award. First place had 35 cones, 2nd and 3rd tied for 34, 4th had 33 and I was in 5th with 32.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
1/28/19 11:12 p.m.

In the past few days, I have been using the desktop version of GRM for the first time in well, forever. 99.98% of the time I am surfing the site on my phone. I just realized that the mobile site does a pretty good job of resizing pictures to fit the page width. However, those pics on the desktop version of the site appear to be the original size.

I didn't realize that the pics I have been posting were absolutely huge. So, sorry about the ginormous pictures of Kia floormats, short shifters and exterior badging.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/29/19 4:32 p.m.

Parking lot at The Batcave is glare ice.

Of course I had to experiment.

Even when I turn "anti skid" completely off, the ABS buzzes like a wasp nest when trying to accelerate.  I assume this is merely brake activation to keep the open diffs from spinning only one tire, because it would happily spin all four all the time no problem, and no cutting throttle.

And yes, even on ice, you can steer while trying to slow down, ABS buzzing away.  Kinda neat.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
1/29/19 5:36 p.m.

I have eaten quinoa. It doesn't suck. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/29/19 6:31 p.m.
EvanB said:
Indy-Guy said:

It's a Saturn so you probably add enough oil regularly that it is always fairly fresh. 

If Saturns are anything like my Quantum, oil consumption was directly related to how long it had been since an oil change, even if mathematically the oil had been "changed" once or twice already.  By the time 3000mi rolled around, it might have been burning a quart in 200mi.  After changing the oil official-like, it would take 1000mi to burn the first quart.

Either the newest oil burns first in a "screw this, I'm outta here" kind of way, or the fact that it was a "Quantum" meant that there were some traits that you couldn't explain without making self-contradictory statements that would get you thrown in a mental asylum if you weren't a quantum physicist.

Do not click this if you don't like your head exploded

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/29/19 6:36 p.m.
RevRico said:

Quinoa is the only food I have willingly thrown out.  It's not that it tastes bad, it's more like that it is more effort to eat than it's worth.  There's some weird effect going on where it feels like you're eating nothing.

I will eat tofu all day long, I will eat plain white rice for a while (and then feel sated), but quinoa is...

When I was in a really bad financial situation a while back, I ate a lot of popcorn, not because it was nutritious, but because it was the most inexpensive way to fool my stomach into feeling full.  Quinoa is the exact opposite of that.

But, hey, more for you.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
1/29/19 7:18 p.m.

I blew up the toilet and then sent Lil Stampie in to take his bath. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
1/29/19 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

It wasn't bad. Some boxed side dish mix with brown rice, which probably helped. 

My saving grace when I was living out of my miata was a photocopy of someone else's fishing license. Before I remembered I could fish for food, it was beef jerky from the gas station without cameras or uncooked ramen. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/29/19 7:32 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I love uncooked ramen, but at the 'hood convenience store within walking distance of where I was crashing, a packet of ramen was 89 cents, a gigantic bag of popcorn that could keep me going for a week was 99 cents.

Yes, 89 cents for a packet of ramen that would be 20/dollar anywhere else.  You get screwed if you have no mobility and live in a grocery-free zone.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/29/19 9:08 p.m.

My ex wife has announced my child will have a (half) sibling. Despite our marriage going down in flames, I pity the poor soul that made that mistake, especially given he knows good and goddamn well what I went through with it. 

Antihero
Antihero Dork
1/29/19 9:14 p.m.
Knurled. said:
RevRico said:

Quinoa is the only food I have willingly thrown out.  It's not that it tastes bad, it's more like that it is more effort to eat than it's worth.  There's some weird effect going on where it feels like you're eating nothing.

I will eat tofu all day long, I will eat plain white rice for a while (and then feel sated), but quinoa is...

When I was in a really bad financial situation a while back, I ate a lot of popcorn, not because it was nutritious, but because it was the most inexpensive way to fool my stomach into feeling full.  Quinoa is the exact opposite of that.

But, hey, more for you.

Potatoes is my go to for cheap and filling

Baked potaoes can be pretty awesome. I figured out that i could do an entire week of dinners for $10 with potatoes, cheese, bacon bits and green onions. Not that i would want to eat them for an entire week but it can be done.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/30/19 9:42 a.m.

5f this morning and we got an inch of snow overnight.  I wimped out and drove the superwagon instead of the Miata.

One day i’d Like to line it up against teh R and see if ze Germans or dur Swedes do awd muscle better.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/30/19 6:59 p.m.

After reading the most comfortable seat thread I realized I have never sat in a Volvo.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/30/19 7:16 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

5f this morning and we got an inch of snow overnight.  I wimped out and drove the superwagon instead of the Miata.

One day i’d Like to line it up against teh R and see if ze Germans or dur Swedes do awd muscle better.

Cold AND snow?  Sorry to hear that...  we only get cold OR snow.  Cloud cover is nature's blanket: keeps the heat in overnight.  No cloud cover means no snow but also bitter cold.  (But when it is 30-40F, oh man, expect to get E36 M3 upon)

Still need to try to figure out how to invert the GoPro footage I took when I took teh R to Dragway 42 last year for the Hangover Nationals.  Drag racing on glare ice with a 20.18 second dialin, on January 1st.  My strategy was to go WOT and let the computers sort it out until 60-65mph and then coast through.  Made it three rounds in that way before losing a round.

I should note that the dash display was -6F on my way there.  I saw no colder than -2F this week.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vdNaZ8CZwpqiVOdNcm8pr3VurOiFk0kn6PSyZwBCZOrqPyFTS9OopykeWoPgMUui