Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/5/21 9:25 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to RevRico :

Every Chik Fil A on the planet needs to cook their fries another 90-120 seconds.

In possibily the best bit of mall planning I've ever seen the Danbury Fair Mall food court has a Chik-fil-a next to a Nathan's.  Order a chicken sandwich, while you wait order Nathan's fries well done. I'm not a big fast food person but this could be the best mall eats you could get. I still hate the place for being built on a race track but a good lunch is a good lunch. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/5/21 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

It's my Mall of Choice (if there is such a thing), but I miss the actual Danbury Fair.

https://todayincthistory.com/2019/10/04/october-4-the-last-run-of-the-states-greatest-fair/

My parents took me there when I was in first grade, and I remember it felt like the longest car ride I'd ever been on. I fell asleep for most of the trip.

Now I know that it was probably about 35 minutes with traffic.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/5/21 10:23 p.m.

A friend is selling a Grand Marquis for a very low price. I'm far too tempted. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/7/21 9:17 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Do. It. 

in related news, my mgm decided to retire the ac compressor a couple weeks back. We're solidly into triple digits for the foreseeable, so I ponied up for the good compressor and paid one of the mechanics at work to replace it. I may be getting old, I may be getting lazy, I'm surely growing soft, but I'm glad I had a few hundred available to maintain some semblance of luxury. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/7/21 10:00 a.m.

Despite all my negative Subaru experiences, a part of me still really wants an '04-'05 WRX

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy MegaDork
6/7/21 12:59 p.m.

I had a photo of Marshall Applewhite for my Skype profile picture at work for a while. Nobody except my department manager commented on it, but I changed it once they asked me to.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/7/21 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

It is a pretty cool mall but still. I only vaguely remember the track there, probably from stories because I was only 5-6 when we went 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/8/21 3:53 a.m.

In reply to Wally & Woody :

I've got similar feelings about Roosevelt/Curtiss Field... without having been to the mall there yet

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/8/21 9:48 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

It is a pretty cool mall but still. I only vaguely remember the track there, probably from stories because I was only 5-6 when we went 

I think I only went to the race track once, and that was when I was a Cub Scout. I remember that my uncle bumped into Cale Yarborough in the crowd and got his autograph. 

When I was in middle school, there was a girl up the street who's father had a Modified that he ran there, with his brother doing the driving.

I climbed into the car in their garage once. I couldn't wait, but once I was inside, I got really claustrophobic and freaked out. I was terrified just sitting there. 

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/11/21 8:34 p.m.

I finally got my hands on a Commodore 64 of my own, after having used one that was already pretty old by the time I was in 5th grade.

Now I find myself wanting an Amiga 1200, which is the first computer I ever used, and to build the best 486 machine I can.

I also need a monitor for said C64, as using my 55" TV works, but just isn't the greatest experience sitting on the floor.

I now also want a host of other retro computing devices.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/11/21 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Ha Ha - I was working at the big Kmart in college selling appliances and we set up a computer area selling all the Commodore 64 computers along with all the software.  Guys would come in to pick software out of the case and study it and give it back for another or sometimes buy it. It sounds funny to say but it was all cutting edge.  I sold a lot of them along with the Timex Sinclair II that had an optional cassette backup.  

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/11/21 10:13 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I was born just before the Amiga 1200 came onto the market, and shortly after that, the Macintosh Color Classic was a thing. But I cut my teeth on a C128 with BASIC after the 1200 because my dad thought it would be good for me to get to know all that.

I get giddy hooking up the 1541 and popping in a 5.25" floppy. I also got my hands on a TRS-80 Model III, but it lacks any disk drives, or a cassette reader, and I got a stack of cassettes with it. I have A LOT I need to get.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
6/11/21 11:33 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

My first new computer was a Commodore with the external cassette drive. I had it hooked up originally to a 13" black and white tv. I have found it beneficial having to learn BASIC.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/11/21 11:49 p.m.

In reply to Chesterfield :

Oh yeah, BASIC is honestly fun to work with. It seems like work telling the machine what to do, but nothing like writing up a few lines of code to call a subroutine to display a reat-time clock, even if you have to go through the motions to set the clock every time you boot the machine since the RTC starts from when you turn the machine on. I have an archive of games I've been meaning to test out, but I'll probably use the Tandy for that, since it's an all-in-one unit.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/12/21 12:23 a.m.

I hate some of the GRMers that bring up old hobbies I need to forget.  Somewhere around here I have a factory manual for a 1541 drive.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/12/21 12:51 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I'm sorry :(

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/12/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Have you seen what Kazoo's model railroad thread has done to us? Financial ruin.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/12/21 10:49 a.m.
Stampie said:

I hate some of the GRMers that bring up old hobbies I need to forget.  Somewhere around here I have a factory manual for a 1541 drive.

Has to be cheaper than guns and cars....

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/12/21 11:27 a.m.

Tortillas are sold in two sizes:

Regular and Too Small.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/12/21 12:47 p.m.

I mean, I would be more than happy to liberate anyone from the hoarding of old, "outdated", and "useless" hardware cool

I've ordered up a spare NES controller, and I'm looking for another joystick, so I can make a working gamepad for the C64.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
6/12/21 2:03 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

I went thru all of my outdated hardware and software years ago. Most of it was 486 stuff. I had an external modem, joysticks, gamepads, games on 3 1/2 floppies, a couple versions of DOS on floppies, and even Win 3.11 on floppies. Plus, all sorts of cables but mostly serial or parallel. I hadn't touched any of it in years. I have a friend who is really into early Amigas, he also has a portable PC about the size of a suitcase with a 5" monitor.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
6/12/21 2:35 p.m.

In reply to Chesterfield :

My dad ended up tossing a lot of our old floppy software, games included. Irked me a bit, but I still have loads of OS floppies and a few games (like Diablo I). I got my hands on an Intel DX4, so I'm looking for bits and pieces to toss together a new-to-me 486 machine. I've got a 1.6GB IBM platter from '96 ready to go. I'm debating on getting a period-correct case, or getting a more modern case with external 5.25" and 3.5" bays to make the outside all show with the inside being all no go.

The nostalgia of using all this old stuff, is honestly my escape from reality and the ever increasingly crippling depression (I guess that's another confession, though not necessarily minor).

I still game a lot, and have gotten into streaming a variety of games as an additional outlet and to interface with others who share the same passion for gaming, but I find the greatest enjoyment in playing some of the classic games I grew up with as a kid, even if it's all single-player and I'm playing by myself. I live on approximately one acre, in suburban hell, which is highly regulated by the local HOA (and I get it, I really do, but I don't like it) which prevents me from spending the time outdoors that I'd like doing the things I'd be doing if I had several acres (growing my own fruit/vegetable garden), target practice, building a woodworking shop, etc.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/13/21 6:58 a.m.

I'd like to try 1976 again.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/13/21 8:22 a.m.

The historical musical?

Not bad once you get past the singing and dancing.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/13/21 9:02 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I'd like to try 1976 again.

I graduated 8th grade that year - EVERYTHING has a "Spirit of '76" brand to it.  My buddy had a beater Vega in 1979 that had a "Spirit" package.  Everything advertised was a reminder of the 200 year celebration.

I'd rather go back to 1968 and get that Schwinn Krate bicycle I wanted.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1lczKdN3MffTef8RFIIqMtcePu1pUIhT9GPmtsKQhjIYEgP7e7n5ZejFoG90vB2L