Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/22/21 6:16 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

I treat the eta on my gps as a time to beat.

You mean it's not pax time? 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/22/21 6:22 a.m.

I realized as I was reading the news, I have become entirely too jaded. 

Minneapolis police found a body in a park  a few days ago. Well...some of one. They come out and say they are not presently looking for a live victim, as they believe the injuries are not life sustaining. Really. You find part of a guy in a park and you have to tell me he's probably dead? This isn't Monty python. Definitely more than a flesh wound. 

Yesterday as a follow-up, they identified the victim, which tells me they found his head, or an arm. They then go on to say they're treating it as a homicide. Brilliantly deducted, Watson. Because it's usually an accident when you only find some of a guy in a park, and you still haven't found all of him. Body parts just falling off while he goes for a jog is usually the case, right?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/22/21 8:36 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I realized as I was reading the news, I have become entirely too jaded. 

Minneapolis police found a body in a park  a few days ago. Well...some of one. They come out and say they are not presently looking for a live victim, as they believe the injuries are not life sustaining. Really. You find part of a guy in a park and you have to tell me he's probably dead? This isn't Monty python. Definitely more than a flesh wound. 

Yesterday as a follow-up, they identified the victim, which tells me they found his head, or an arm. They then go on to say they're treating it as a homicide. Brilliantly deducted, Watson. Because it's usually an accident when you only find some of a guy in a park, and you still haven't found all of him. Body parts just falling off while he goes for a jog is usually the case, right?

I've watched enough Law & Order to know not to go jogging in a park. You're guaranteed to find a dead body. This only confirms that.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/23/21 8:41 a.m.

this is a .50cAl bmg rauFoss mk211 shell. I've paid less for cars than this one round is worth.

I'm really thinking about buying a rifle capable of shooting it. And I really like the desert tech hti......

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/23/21 9:01 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

1976 was a really fun year to be a little kid in the US.

I was 11 in 1976.

By March I was utterly tired of everything being renamed Ye Olde Foode Shoppe etc etc etc.  Even as an 11-year-old I knew Ford vs Carter was a no-win situation and all that was on the news was 10% inflation, 10% interest rates, and 10% unemployment.  Disco was on the radio.  The Thunderbirds traded in their F-4s for T-38s.

Plus at 11 my mother was still buying my clothes without my input.  In 1976 style.

The Seventies were a complete horror show between the end of 1972 and the beginning of 1979.  I wouldn't go back there for a minute.  I mean, come on:

Image 1 - Vintage Working 1976 Spirit of 76 Zenith AC Battery Operated TV Television > 7.4

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/23/21 10:53 a.m.

My new favorite term for faux carbon fiber is "carbon fibber".

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/23/21 1:19 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

We didn't have most of those things up here, except disco, but that was easily avoidable as we had excellent rock radio.

For the most part my recollection of the 70's was lot's of stock car racing in the early part, then moving from a bit of a sketchy area to a big house with a pool in a wealthy suburb, closely followed by motocross every weekend, lot's of partying, and all the Bob Costas I could handle.

I'd go back in a second

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/23/21 1:26 p.m.

I've been off for two months and it doesn't even seem like two weeks.

As an alternative to retiring I accepted a job working 3 days a week, which I attend next Monday for orientation.

You know that excitement you get when you're about to start a new job?

I don't have it.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/23/21 2:06 p.m.

After well over a year of trying to figure out what in the everloving berk on the front end of the Infiniti is creaking so badly that The Dancer now refuses to ride in it, I made an appointment to take it in to the dealer tomorrow for them to figure it out (and fix it presuming it's not an absolutely insane cost). At 46 with way more that needs to be done than I ever have time for (and we don't even have kids!) I've come to the conclusion that I need to pick my battles- and this one in particular the Infiniti has won and I'm going to let someone else fix.  I just hope it's not something that costs a large fraction of what it's worth- the Infiniti is IMO pretty much the perfect workhorse vehicle and I don't relish the idea of having to find a new(er) one.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/23/21 7:09 p.m.
Mndsm said:

this is a .50cAl bmg rauFoss mk211 shell. I've paid less for cars than this one round is worth.

I'm really thinking about buying a rifle capable of shooting it. And I really like the desert tech hti......

Dear God.  if that is what I think that is, isn't that classified as a destructive device?

( don't know the military TLAs, I just remember someone mentioning using Raufoss ammunition in a .50 during Desert Storm, and that it actually worked as advertised)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/23/21 7:13 p.m.

Confession:  I saw a Volvo V90 this morning, and am convinced it is the butt-fugliest car out there.

It looks like a big SUV that someone chopped the top on.  And if there are two things I find ugly, it's high beltlines and chopped tops.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/23/21 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

What.

WHAT?!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
6/23/21 9:26 p.m.

The Volvo V90 is my current dream car.

You can get them here, but dealers don't stock them. They are special order only.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/23/21 9:38 p.m.

IMHO the last Volvo was made in 93 when they stopped making the 240.  Now get off my lawn.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/23/21 9:58 p.m.
Stampie said:

IMHO the last Volvo was made in 93 when they stopped making the 240.  Now get off my lawn.

World's Fastest Goldendoodle respectfully disagrees.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/23/21 10:02 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Ok I'll allow that on my lawn as long as his owner picks up his E36 M3.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/23/21 11:02 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Mndsm said:

Dear God.  if that is what I think that is, isn't that classified as a destructive device?

( don't know the military TLAs, I just remember someone mentioning using Raufoss ammunition in a .50 during Desert Storm, and that it actually worked as advertised)

Not a destructive device as they have to be above. 50cal.  I think.  Briefly started some work on such things for R&D before I had to leave the company, and I think that is the key figure for rifle rounds.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
6/24/21 8:52 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Ok I'll allow that on my lawn as long as his owner picks up his E36 M3.

She was born in Fairfield County and has her own chauffeur driven V70R. 

Her E36 M3 don't stink. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/24/21 3:11 p.m.

A Ford Transit came into my work today and I got way more excited about that thing than any Camaro or Corvette that's been in lately. Related confession, I've become a van man and I'd much rather have a good work van than a pickup truck.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/24/21 3:56 p.m.

I'm pretty sure all bullets are destructive devices if used as intended. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/24/21 4:42 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

It's not the fact that it's .50, it's that it goes boom instead of just clang when it hits whatever it was aimed at.

OTOH I admit that I am not fully cognizant on what is labeled a destructive device.  It is a little silly that some .50s were called that because the check gauge would pass through the bore, but slugs in a shotgun is just fine.

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
6/24/21 9:19 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm : 

Just make sure whatever you run that through can handle the pressure.  Did we talk about this here?  BTW, not fit to watch if you are squeamish.  The guy in this could have died when his gun blew up.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/25/21 5:04 p.m.

OOF.  Shakedown session for the Mustang at a local track.  Car felt great, but a weird noise towards the end of session.  Followed by an awful "brake backing on rotor" sound on the way home.

Someone (looks in mirror) didn't tighten the caliper nuts to the slider pins.  Ended up with a "free floating" caliper.  I haven't taken the wheel off yet to assess the damage.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/26/21 4:39 p.m.

Yes. Yes it is. 

It's basically grenade charge wrapped in copper with a tungsten carbide internal projectile and (I forget what it's called) it burns a lot like thermite on impact. So it goes boom, punches, shreds, and then starts a fire. It's for when you really REALLY want to stop....anything. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/26/21 5:22 p.m.

9mm handgun ammo for scale. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
riIpHtuaUnXz9YJCsiRAyF018GQZm1czeqvI2Gq7pjlXeMSU5UXy8SE18Es7htmZ