barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
10/4/21 7:27 p.m.

I may have "accidentally" borrowed a plate and a set of keys overnight to convince her. Wife likes the crv. Kids like it. 5yo still is mad at me for getting rid of the last Honda. I think it'll be a good purchase

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/4/21 7:40 p.m.

Them: "So, Wally, why did you accept that job in Seattle?"

Wally: "Well, see, I bought this Corvette,  and the inspection process in New York was a pain in the ass , so..."

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/5/21 11:32 a.m.

A silly reason maybe, the 5yo was so excited last night about the brown Honda. But this morning I asked him and he started crying. "I don't want the brown Honda. I want to keep the race car (this is what they call the Mercury)"

The timing is bad. We're in the middle of a move and blessedly debt free. I don't want to dip into savings. And I started thinking that maybe the kid is plugged into something that I'm unaware of. So I handed the keys back and washed my hands. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/5/21 11:46 a.m.

Keep the debt free as long as possible.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
10/6/21 6:42 a.m.

My new yo-yo was delivered yesterday. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/6/21 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Could you do the trick where you register it in Wyoming? Or is it Montana? One of them is to cars what Maine is to trailers. All the guys license their JDM cars there

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/6/21 2:20 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Montana, I tried to Google and it looks like I have to set up a company through a lawyer. It may be cheaper to take my beating by the time it's over. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/6/21 6:23 p.m.

I'm having shoulder surgery in a few weeks. The doctor says that my recovery will take three to six months. 

I'm going to look at a Model A project car this weekend. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/8/21 12:19 p.m.

I'm having shoulder surgery in a few weeks. The doctor says that my recovery will take three to six months. 

I just built an engine cradle for storing a spare Model A engine.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/8/21 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Seems like a good idea 

barefootskater (Shaun)
10/8/21 12:27 p.m.

Since I didn't buy a new (old) car, I'm again toying with the idea of "playing" with the Mercury. Local yard has a limited slip 3.73 rear end for $200. A buddy has a programmer and injectors/coils, and a dual 2.5" exhaust is cheap.  I shouldn't be having these thoughts, I know better. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/9/21 8:02 a.m.

I had a funny feeling in my car-pants.

Gold Volvo 240 wagon, complete with mudflaps.

Fits nice.

Sadly, I think the intake manifold would cost more to buy.  Remember when LS1 intakes were like $50 because the LS6 was better in every way and plastic has no scrap value?  Going rate now seems to be $500 without fuel rails...

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/9/21 11:18 a.m.

An F1 car screaming around Manhattan is every bit as cool as you think it would be.  

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
10/9/21 11:31 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

An F1 car screaming around Manhattan is every bit as cool as you think it would be.  

There are a few things I  miss about New York, but a lot of things I don't.  Can I buy you a beer in Austin?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
10/9/21 5:34 p.m.

I gave away hundreds of dollars in parts and steel today. 

It feels good. Pared down the entirety of storage to a 16 foot box trailer with room left over. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/9/21 5:46 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte :

If I make it down there I'll let you know 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/9/21 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I've seen F1 cars in person and I have seen WRC cars in person.

The braking power in F1 was especially impressive.

But an F1 car screaming down the straight and then braking for a 90 degree turn doesn't even come close to the level of violence, astonishment and disbelief that you experience the first time that you see a WRC car blasting through forest at full bore. 

Also...always stand on the inside of the corner. I'll never make that mistake again. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Dork
10/9/21 9:21 p.m.

Since retirement, I don't like weekends anymore. Too many people out there.

Maybe, I just don't like people...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/11/21 2:44 p.m.

I spent most of the day towing an empty trailer all the way across the state...and back. 

I didn't buy a Model A Roadster Pickup. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
10/11/21 2:52 p.m.

What was wrong with it?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/11/21 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Just everything.

Looks way better in photos.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
10/11/21 4:17 p.m.

A rally is on the list at some point too

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/13/21 6:23 p.m.

A few of our female friends have texted to wish us a happy anniversary (guy friends don't care), and then asked what we did  to celebrate our special day. 

I replied that we just went back to the strip club where we met. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/13/21 8:38 p.m.

I just bought 1200 dollars worth of snow tires for the truck.

They are great tires and all but Jesus.....I've bought cars for less and driven them all over

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/13/21 10:54 p.m.

I was looking to buy a 20v Audi 90 and was searching Motorgeek for info when I discovered a funky little (not little) car for sale called the Volkswagen Quantum syncro, which was like a wagon form of the Audi 4000, complete with all wheel drive and five cylinder engine.

I love the five cylinder sound.  I bought that QSW and put almost a hundred thousand miles on it.  A couple years after it was too crusty and decrepitated to drive, I bought a five cylinder Volvo and put, as of this writing, over 81 thousand miles on that.

I have another QSW, that is a kind of inherited project.  There is currently a low compression, heavily overbored, large valve Audi 10 valve turbo engine in it, and a whole lot of rare 10vt upgrade parts i have been acquiring, and a honkin big triple-K turbo dedicated for it.  Should be able to do 21psi on pump gas with nary a whimper, and maybe do 350-400 horsepower in the process, which is like 99th percentile for 10vts.

Driving my RX-7 today, the angry one, after fixing a severe tuning mistake I did, enjoying the absolutely explosive throttle response and midrange torque that its naturally aspirated 13B provides, I got to thinking.... this is ridiculous for a two wheel drive car.  This engine deserves to have the grip of an all wheel drive car.

And I started thinking about what it would take to put a rotary in my five cylinder engined car.  Well, the German one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hs4sqMUY45V1KQKIErJGbMsJAI5LVAZ6zBRJVhVkpnImjRIiCMtPcfHAsAX7vDre