dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/17/21 8:56 a.m.

We have hardwood floors in the kitchen and I would not recommend it. Tile or something else more water resistant is better. Hardwood everywhere else though! We did do carpet in the living room and tv/play rooms. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/17/21 9:33 a.m.

When I get my dream house, kitchen gets laminate or tile, bathrooms the same. Every other place gets hardwood. Rugs can go down in most rooms, but no wall to wall carpeting will be allowed if it isn't a bedroom.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/17/21 9:56 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

For our kitchen and adjoining laundry room, we have a loose-laid panel system made up of plastic laminate on hardboard with a foam back and a T&G edge.  The panels are about 16"x24" and maybe 5/16" thick.

Ours is laid in running bond (like bricks) and looks vaguely like precast concrete.  It's currently 12 years old and looks fantastic.  It's pretty much impervious to anything and hides dirt well.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/17/21 10:08 a.m.

When we moved into the farmhouse it had the same vinyl flooring in the kitchen that my parents first house had in the 60's and it still looked pretty good.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/17/21 3:16 p.m.

I'm not a fan of walking around on lumber, and i really don't find a lot of it all that pretty.  Who the heck decided oak is good looking?

Carpet, or vinyl is my choice.  

wae
wae UberDork
11/17/21 4:54 p.m.

I love my wood-look tile in my living room and dining room.

I did not love installing my wood-look tile in my living room and dining room.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/18/21 2:41 p.m.

I see all the memes about car guys and having ten different project cars, and cars being on jackstands for years on end, and constantly buying and selling cars, and that sort of stuff and I guess I've come to the conclusion that I guess I'm just bad at being a car guy. I only own 2 cars at a time, ones a daily driver that I don't modify and have owned 2 years and the other is the project Miata I've had for 8 years. I bought the project car running and it never has spent more than a month or two on jackstands, and that's always during the winter when I don't drive it anyways.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
11/18/21 2:49 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I think all you're missing out on is the distress of constantly seeing projects on jackstands and not crusing down the road. So....win?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/18/21 3:05 p.m.
NickD said:

I see all the memes about car guys and having ten different project cars, and cars being on jackstands for years on end, and constantly buying and selling cars, and that sort of stuff and I guess I've come to the conclusion that I guess I'm just bad at being a car guy. I only own 2 cars at a time, ones a daily driver that I don't modify and have owned 2 years and the other is the project Miata I've had for 8 years. I bought the project car running and it never has spent more than a month or two on jackstands, and that's always during the winter when I don't drive it anyways.

Tell me you're single and don't have kids without telling me you're single and don't have kids.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/18/21 3:08 p.m.
mtn said:
NickD said:

Tell me you're single and don't have kids without telling me you're single and don't have kids.

That may explain why my car always runs. Not why I only have two and hold onto them for long periods of time though. If anything, the opposite.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/18/21 3:54 p.m.
NickD said:
mtn said:
NickD said:

That may explain why my car always runs. Not why I only have two and hold onto them for long periods of time though. If anything, the opposite.

Showoff.  cheeky

although I did upgrade my fleet to 50% running and registered this year!

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/18/21 4:46 p.m.
NickD said:

No, I think you're better at it than most

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/18/21 5:10 p.m.

I thought you were supposed to start taking it apart after the season is over, then stare at it and think "it's too cold to work out here" and then delay and put off until you realize the season opener is a week away, then thrash and realize the parts you bought won't work or you found new issues and you end up driving someone else's car for half the season.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/18/21 5:25 p.m.

I don't like the part where they put a needle in my neck, but the part where they give me Valium... that part isn't so bad. 

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
11/19/21 5:15 p.m.

I'm a horrible, horrible person.

Each year around this time I review my retirement plan and make various projections.

Well, this year is special as my eldest daughter will be heading off to college next September and that represents a big one-time expense that, for the first time, is an integral part of my overall planning.

As many of you know, I do statistical analysis for a living and although I've held off doing this in the past, I decided that it was time to start factoring in inheritance.

I feel so dirty but I just performed what is known as a "at least one" projection by going onto the Social Security website and pulling down their life expectancy tables for my 83 y/o dad and my 92 y/o mother in-law (my mother and my father in-law are already deceased).

If anyone is interested, here are the probabilities by year.

So, for example, there is a 59.95% probability that at least one of them will have passed by the end of 2023.

I can't believe I did this...I'm such a piece of work.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/30/21 1:24 p.m.

I like to use MiO electrolyte juice as the sports drink in my bike's drink bottles. Comes as a syrup you mix into water bottles so it's cheap and eco-friendly, a few different flavors are available. After finishing off some of the last bits of it after putting away the bike for the winter, I've realized that a lot of flavors are better than blueberry and I only keep it around because the blue liquid looks good in the translucent blue bottles:

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/30/21 1:36 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Don't need a chart for that calculation...

Also, if you are not mentally prepared for that phone call, you need to figure out how to get prepared.  Parents (well, everybody) dying is sad, but inevitable, and I always feel sad for people who lose their minds over someone in their 90's dying. 

I did get some early life lessons in that, though.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/30/21 2:20 p.m.

I really like being outside on cold, quiet, overcast late-November afternoons around 4:00 when the whole sky is that flat, deep, unsaturated blue that tints all the dormant grass and the leafless trees.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/30/21 2:39 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That E36 M3 gives me a phenomenal headache, if we are talking about the same product.  (comes in a little onigiri looking bottle)

Also, I thought it was M10 smiley

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/30/21 2:42 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That E36 M3 gives me a phenomenal headache, if we are talking about the same product.  (comes in a little onigiri looking bottle)

Also, I thought it was M10 smiley

Yep same stuff:

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/30/21 4:41 p.m.

I want to buy a hurdy gurdy

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
11/30/21 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That will also require a monkey in a suit to operate properly.   Please proceed and post pics! 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/30/21 8:26 p.m.
11GTCS said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That will also require a monkey in a suit to operate properly.   Please proceed and post pics! 

Lol, I was hoping for more of a sound like this:Hurdy Gurdy

There's even a guy doing Pantera songs on one

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/1/21 1:36 p.m.

I took a 30 minute nap in my truck's driver seat sitting up at lunch yesterday and I slept like a rock.  (I'm just getting over Covid)

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
12/1/21 10:07 p.m.

I don't have the budget. 
I don't have the space. 
I don't have the time. 
But what I do have is a plan. For my next automotive project that is. A well travelled path, budget friendly, and real-world practicality. I know what engine and trans I want. I know how far I want to take the racecar/actual-car-you-can-drive-on-the-street relationship. 
Im way too excited for what is as yet just a theoretical project. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sbEvEn5jPjjTDGTcXsc6IyPip8uFtI4a9Mgze5q9RNTesuou5z6W6OBfjH9hNimV