preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
12/22/21 12:52 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

DO EEEEET!!!!!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/22/21 1:00 p.m.

I may start seeking out a cheap and easy challenge car.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
12/22/21 1:19 p.m.

If it really bothers you that much I have space in my driveway if you want to buy me one.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
12/22/21 1:25 p.m.
Stampie said:

If it really bothers you that much I have space in my driveway if you want to buy me one.

laugh

Driveway space, I have.  Time may be a problem.  I need to buy something that runs and can be shuffled around with the other projects.

I'll let you know if I find something in Florida that needs to be stored for a little while, though...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
12/27/21 3:43 p.m.

Somehow, shopping for a sporty fun car to replace the Neon turned into looking at minivans because I miss the big old station wagon and the Mazda5 isn't big enough to camp in at the track.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/28/21 7:42 a.m.

Remember the expression, "Like a kid on Christmas!"?

Today is the first Tuesday after Christmas, which this year, fell on a Saturday.

This morning, after a long winter's break (three days), the Transfer Station is open, and I can finally get rid of all the neatly sorted cardboard, wrapping paper, styrofoam and porchetta remnants.

Last night, I glanced at the clock in the garage and said, "Only ten hours and thirty eight minutes until the dump opens!"

I was wide awake in bed at 4:47 am.

Today is a good day, for I am like a kid on Christmas.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/28/21 8:15 a.m.

Sometimes a REALLY like to stir the pot...

Does that occasionally mean I'm a bit petty or immature, maybe, but I never said I wasn't petty. :)

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/31/21 8:16 p.m.

I'm thinking about opening a brick and mortar store that is ONLY open Sundays and holidays. It will be open for 24 hours on those days, and will stock pellet pipe, stove pipe, hot water tank parts, toilet fixing parts, and all the other E36 M3 that breaks when all the normal stores are closed. 

Overhead might be a bit rough, but after my past experiences trying to do emergency repairs, it'll be a mini gold mine when it's open. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
1/2/22 8:47 p.m.

I really like a lot of the wheels posted in the "Ugliest factory wheels?" thread.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/2/22 11:17 p.m.

I just found out my Fisher stove is also setup for coal, and coal is found cheaply at a local Tractor supply.

This may come in handy because our wood usage was high this year

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/3/22 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

My concern would be smell. The only time I've been around houses using coal heat, a stink hung in the air all around the area. It could be OK with a modern stove, but I have no experience with that.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/3/22 11:41 a.m.

I wanted to go that route but the wood boiler can barely handle logs let alone coal. Shame, would have been a lot easier than this pellet stove is turning into. 

1/3/22 1:06 p.m.
dculberson said:

My concern would be smell. The only time I've been around houses using coal heat, a stink hung in the air all around the area. It could be OK with a modern stove, but I have no experience with that.

Definitely a concern but I can't say I have any experience in coal.

My stove is a Fisher Grandma Bear so it isn't really new, they've been gone for years.

A bag is 8 bucks and a grate is 20 so for under 30 bucks I could give it a try and see. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/3/22 1:31 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

My dad and grandmother were always washing walls.  Clear a room out on a Saturday and wash the ceiling and walls - big crappy project.  Finally asked my Aunt - what's up here?

Coal furnaces - soot was on the walls over time.  

1/3/22 1:39 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to dculberson :

My dad and grandmother were always washing walls.  Clear a room out on a Saturday and wash the ceiling and walls - big crappy project.  Finally asked my Aunt - what's up here?

Coal furnaces - soot was on the walls over time.  

Fair, although I already burn wood for heat and it's not like that's perfectly clean either.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
1/4/22 7:26 p.m.

I've been collecting LEGO Collectible Minifigures for nigh on a decade now- I started back around Series 7 or so. For the ones that have come out since I started I've always hunted them down in stores and spent the time standing there feeling the parts through the bags to figure out which ones they were to get a full set of the blind-bag figures. 

The Series 22 figures dropped at the beginning of the new year- and I said 'berk it' and ordered a complete set of the new series from someone on eBay for like $5 more than I'd have spent if I bought them locally. I'm very good at feeling out the parts and only getting the ones that I'm looking for- but I just have too much else going on to spend the time driving around to different stores to try and find the one or two that I'll inevitably end up having a difficult time locating.

I've officially reached the point in my life where I think, "I'm just too old for this E36 M3," and am willing to pay a slight bit more to not have to deal with it myself.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/10/22 7:16 p.m.

I bought something really heavy on eBay. It also cost about 50% more than I wanted to spend  

It's only 45 miles away, so I should be able to pick it up myself...but it's on Long Island. 

The last three times I had to drive on Long Island, I said, "Berkeley this. I'm never doing this again."

The last two times I drove out to Long Island, I said, "Berkeley this...I'm paying to put the car on the boat and enjoying a nice relaxing cruise back to Connecticut".

I was going to rent a van this time, because it's winter and I don't want to get this thing all covered in road salt on the way home. Waze says that it's an hour and forty five minutes each way.

Van rental, lots of gas money, probably six or seven hours out of my day from the time I pick up the rental to the time I return it, not to mention doing a lot of heavy lifting by myself...

"Berkeley it. Put it on a pallet and ship it to my house. I'll send you some more money."

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/10/22 8:29 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I left Long Island and never once thought of moving back. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/10/22 8:56 p.m.

My 20-year-old, 5-pound cat took a dump the size of a Ball Park Frank on my nice wool rug.

It's so astoundingly huge compared to her body size that I'm not even mad. If it had been mine, it would have been the size of my forearm.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/10/22 9:00 p.m.

I have all the pieces to build a trailer dolly using scrap and parts laying around. I put them all together in one place last night and thought about the hours it would take to finish - hours I don't have - and ordered one off Amazon for $55. I hope the gods of GRM will forgive my lapse.

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
1/11/22 1:50 p.m.

I have a great old dirt bike that needs some attention. Tires, chain, grips, nothing major. It sits, and I use the excuse of my neck being a time bomb. But if I'm being honest, it would sit anyway. 
My last street bike was a cool old Honda 400 I never finished, and before that was a string of Honda 750s, a Buell, Sportster, and an old Yamaha 175.

The last bike I had on the road was probably 7 years ago. I'm starting to itch. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
1/11/22 2:17 p.m.

Hi, Mr Peabody, you applied for employment insurance benefits?

Yes, a month ago

There are some discrepancies in your answers to some of the application questions.

OK

What is your parents last name? You answered incorrectly on the application.

Peabody

No, that's not it.

Yes, my last name is Peabody, it was also my Dad's.  He was my parent. That's how it works.

No sir. We used to ask what was your mother's maiden name, we can no longer ask that. We have a lot of problems with this question. What was your parent's last name?

Peabody (snickers)

No sir, that's not the right answer.

No, that's the right answer, you asked me the wrong question. Do you want to know my Mother's maiden name?

We can't ask that sir.

Oh, OK, I'm sorry. It's Peabody.

Sir

OK, it's Sherman.

Thank you sir

So are you applying because of Covid?

I'm applying because I'm out of work.

Was there an outbreak?

The plant is closed, why it's closed is not relevant.

Do you have Covid sir?

No.

OK, so just regular benefits?

Is that not what I applied for?

Yes sir

So what's the question?

My confession? I was thoroughly enjoying this. I could have done it all day.

I only wonder if I'll ever see any benefits.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/11/22 11:10 p.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

I would not have the patience or wit to do that.  Have we gone so far down the road that asking for your mother's maiden name is offensive?  Berkeley me gently...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/12/22 7:08 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

He's right, it IS the wrong question.  Assuming traditional nuclear family, momma Peabody was not Sherman when he was born, therefore his parents were both Peabody.  "What was your mother's surname when she was born" is the correct question for the answer they seek.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ebPu6N53UA7eawf8nF5bWJQHO5QyRcL28MR8TKGARTKCXbXA1sip7aept3bFG7yb