NickD
NickD MegaDork
1/19/22 9:45 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

I understand it, but to sit there and have the same group of people saying that Hoosiers are cheaper to run because you can get them cast-off and also be the ones griping because they just went out and spent $1400 on brand-new Hoosiers makes your argument really shaky. And then to have people saying "You are going to kill off the event" and "I'll never build a Challenge car again" or accusing the magazine of hiding the rule change and that they were going to wait to until they showed up at the Challenge to tell them when the rules had been out less than 24 hours. Good grief, take a deep breath folks. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/19/22 10:01 a.m.

Im oddly irritated that my new team lead is taking work responsibilities off of me. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/22 10:02 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Im oddly irritated that my new team lead is taking work responsibilities off of me. 

I understand that feeling.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/19/22 10:55 a.m.
Duke said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I understand that feeling.

I'm glad you do. I don't. Care to explain to me why I'm feeling this way? Cuz I really don't understand it. I ought to be happy that they are making me responsible for Less. But I'm not.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/22 11:02 a.m.

You've seen people come in, take over, and (even with the best intentions) totally berk things up.

Plus you've been pulling the weight.  Now that you aren't,  you feel like you're slacking.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/22 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I wish I could explain it, but all I can actually do is understand it, because I have felt / feel it too.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/19/22 11:30 a.m.

I hate it when that happens. Feels like they think I berkeleyed up. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/19/22 12:40 p.m.

I hate it because I know thimgs were getting when I did them. It's more aggravating to wonder if they're doing them right than to do it myself. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/19/22 12:50 p.m.

I'm secretly proud of the the fact that a kid at the middle school shouted, "You have a Sick Truck!!"  from across the parking lot. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/22 1:03 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I hate it because I know thimgs were getting when I did them. It's more aggravating to wonder if they're doing them right than to do it myself. 

Amen, brother.  If you want something done to your standards, you need to do it yourself.

See also:  my most recent Minor Rant.

My commute is really wearing on me. I'm tired of driving my buzzy, slow Forte. When I can finally register my ND Miata (going on 4 months now angry), I plan on selling the Kia and using the ND as my daily/fun car.

But the car has coilovers and a full exhaust so it's not the best highway cruiser. Coupled with the fact that's it's tiny for a modern car, I don't think it's the best solution to commuting with Florida's dimest drivers.

I've seriously been thinking about picking up a Panther platform car. All of the CVPIs seem to have some sort of tax on them as they are all seriously overpriced right now. There are a few Grand Marquis to choose from that are in better condition for less money. The real surprise are the Panther Town Cars. This being God's Waiting Room, there seems to be a plethora of barely broken in Town Cars for sale in the $3500-$5000 range. I'd totally be ok driving to work on a leather couch. Performance? Don't care. Gas mileage? Don't care. Image? Definitely don't care. 

Am I getting old?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/22 6:04 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle (Supported by GRM undergarments) :

If you're talking about the daily slog on soul-sucking, flat, straight roads, a smooth comfortable barge is exactly the right tool for the job. Age has nothing to do with it.

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
1/19/22 6:05 p.m.

I drive a 2005 grand marquis LS. Leather, auto climate, plush. I'm 33. 
Do it. 

*edit to add I've switched off the traction exactly once to get the tail out in the rain. You can still act like a teenager in grandmas car when the mood strikes. 

In reply to Duke and barefootskater5000 :

This is the kind of enabling I'm looking for! Slogging through soul-sucking flat, straight roads 60 miles a day exactly describes my commute. Its mind numbing except for the weekly near death experiences caused by people that can barely fog a mirror let alone drive.

If I do get a Panther, I'd tint the windows and install a decent sound system. It would be hard to resist putting an exhaust on because V8 but I'm looking for serene comfort not performance.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
1/19/22 6:32 p.m.

I've owned two 'luxury barges': A Buick Riviera and a Park Avenue Ultra. Both came with the supercharged 3800 V6 engine- and while were like sitting on a overstuffed couch to drive would also pin you to the back of the seat if you put the hammer down. I kind of miss being both their comfort and the stupid acceleration they could manage. If I had a commute longer than the 10-15 minutes on surface streets that I used to have it would be sorely tempting to find something of a similar nature.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/19/22 9:11 p.m.

I suspect Cleetus McFarland has had a significant effect on CVPI prices in your state.  Grand Marquis or Town Car would probably make more sense.  I'd just recommend going with a 2003 or newer model.

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
1/24/22 1:42 a.m.

The process of guiding my wife's breathing and assisting in the delivery of our son just a few hours ago has to be the biggest accomplishment in my life thus far. Truly an experience and I'm in awe of how well (and quickly) my wife handled it.

I was already excited, but now even more so!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/24/22 10:14 a.m.

I'm a pretty quiet person. I don't brag, I don't boast, (I do put butter on my breakfast toast). However I'm having a REALLY hard time not flexing on the Disney fans at large right now. (grm excluded, y'all ain't the tourists that like to tear my stores up). 

Tomorrow night I will be going to the single most exclusive Disney gathering possible. You can't buy your way in. Its the service celebration for cast members that they get once every five years after their 10th anniversary with the mouse. Park closes early, they wheel out free food and booze INTO THR STREET. no lines for rides. Every fur character possible suits up for photo ops. Most of the face characters are there too. It's insane. 

And it's the second time I'll have gone. Im 42, and I feel like a kid going for his first trip, again. 

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/24/22 10:27 a.m.
Azryael said:

The process of guiding my wife's breathing and assisting in the delivery of our son just a few hours ago has to be the biggest accomplishment in my life thus far. Truly an experience and I'm in awe of how well (and quickly) my wife handled it.

I was already excited, but now even more so!

Congratulations.. Yes, it is quite the experience.  Here's to a long, happy life.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/24/22 10:55 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I'm a pretty quiet person. I don't brag, I don't boast, (I do put butter on my breakfast toast). However I'm having a REALLY hard time not flexing on the Disney fans at large right now. (grm excluded, y'all ain't the tourists that like to tear my stores up). 

Tomorrow night I will be going to the single most exclusive Disney gathering possible. You can't buy your way in. Its the service celebration for cast members that they get once every five years after their 10th anniversary with the mouse. Park closes early, they wheel out free food and booze INTO THR STREET. no lines for rides. Every fur character possible suits up for photo ops. Most of the face characters are there too. It's insane. 

And it's the second time I'll have gone. Im 42, and I feel like a kid going for his first trip, again. 

Have a candied bacon stick for me!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/24/22 11:58 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

If they're on the menu, I will. It sounds stupid, but I need a mickey pretzel. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/26/22 8:51 a.m.

Last night I had an explicit sex dream of Edith Bunker teaching Archie about female orgasms.

Edith: *lying back with house dress up around her waist*

Archie:

Archie: "You're telling me it can be the same for a woman as it is for a man?"

Edith:  "I saw it in Redbook!  Do it like this.  Ooooh..."

I woke up deeply conflicted and not well rested.  So now y'all have to share my disturbance.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
1/26/22 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Did you see my favourite episode recently?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/27/22 10:42 a.m.

I've had my Mazda5 for a little over two years now and just this week discovered a previous owner left a CD in the player.  I probably would have noticed if I'd taken it on any big road trips, but haven't been leaving town much.  At least now I have the soundtrack to Moana.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/27/22 10:50 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

You're Welcome.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8A90Dsd8TB09LZgxJN9HGSS0z9OWLmt2WwLZk1x9y18NHpi7CtwH0Hn8NDNBiIK7