6/24/22 8:50 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/29/22 10:51 a.m.

(Doing woodwork.)

Circular saws make me slightly nervous.

Table saws make me very nervous.

I'm fine with miter saws, and don't really have a problem with jigsaws or reciprocating saws. I am aware this is not particularly logical.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/29/22 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Circular saws don't bother me but the only tool I am afraid of - and it absolutely terrifies me - is the table saw.  And it's less the blade and more that it's going to send something flying and I'm going to be in the way.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
6/29/22 12:01 p.m.

For me it's the drill press. Dad has an ancient monster of a machine and I hate it. Was enlarging a hole once on a water heater safety strap, piece in the vice all proper, and things went bad. Broken thumb, much blood, and a miracle. That thing wrapped around the chuck, smacked my left appendage, and sent the other half through space and time to embed in the wall directly behind me. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/29/22 12:14 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

(Doing woodwork.)

Circular saws make me nervous.

I'm fine with miter saws, and don't really have a problem with jigsaws or reciprocating saws. I am aware this is not particularly logical.

How do you feel about Death Wheels?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/29/22 12:17 p.m.
Appleseed said:
Beer Baron said:

(Doing woodwork.)

How do you feel about Death Wheels?

I have never had opportunity to mess with one. I'm fine with that.

I should probably clarify that circular saws make me nervous on part with ladders. Not enough to make me hesitate. But a table saw I will do my best to be the one who helps keep things level or pull them through from the other side while someone else feeds things through.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/29/22 12:18 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

barefootcyborg5000
6/29/22 12:21 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Exactly. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/29/22 12:38 p.m.

Part of the enjoyment I get from watching Drift Masters European Championship is trying to guess how to pronounce the Lithuanian/Polish/Czech/Finnish/Swedish driver names.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
6/29/22 12:50 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

(Doing woodwork.)

But how do you feel about radial arm saws? The best (worst?) of both. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/29/22 1:17 p.m.

In reply to llysgennad :

Don't think I've ever used one. Think I'd probably rank that with miter saws. It's not going anywhere, I'm not feeding it my hands, and it's not going to shoot anything at me.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/29/22 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Not to cause you any undue worry, but mine grabbed ahold of what I was cutting, pulled a chunk out, and bounced it off the wall and into my face shield with a fair amount of gusto.  It was a code brown moment for sure.

TheTallOne17
TheTallOne17 Reader
6/29/22 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

That's the scary part. Instead of throwing something back at you it instead pulls the spinning saw blade towards you when it catches

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
6/29/22 3:03 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

(Doing woodwork.)

Circular saws make me slightly nervous.

It's chainsaws that terrify me.  Back in the '80s I worked at a Yamaha dealership and we took on the McCulloch line of power equipment.  The loggers we had for customers had nicknames like Lefty, Patch, Stubby and van Gogh.  That left an impression on me.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/29/22 3:19 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Whelp... I'll ad THAT to my list of nope.

Forgot chainsaws on there. Back in highschool I got close enough to tear a hole in the thigh of my jeans with a chainsaw. Fortunately the reason I was wrestling with the chainsaw is that the chain was on backwards and it wasn't cutting worth a damn.

Haven't touched one since, and I'm fine with that.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/29/22 3:56 p.m.

You need one of these: 

After using that, everything will seem safe in comparison!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/29/22 8:12 p.m.

It's good to have apprehension around tools that spin. A little fear keeps your mind focused. 90% of the times I got bit was when my mind drifted or I was up my own ass thinking I don't need to be careful because I know what I'm doing.

I didn't realize that dwarf cars were so inexpensive. I should really stay off of FB Marketplace cool

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/1/22 9:54 p.m.

I was looking at land and decided to check out the neighbors.  Saw this and my first thought was well they won't call the city about my vehicles.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/1/22 10:33 p.m.

Today my ryobi tools came in to go with the new 18v batteries. 

My confession is that i limped along with my old porter cable stuff FAR too long. This new stuff blows it out of the water. Holy crap being too cheap to upgrade wasn't worth it. 

barefootcyborg5000
7/2/22 1:08 a.m.

I didn't give Children of Bodom a fair shake until after Alexi passed. It's rad stuff. If you like heavy/thrashy stuff, it's worth the time. Related confession(?) I can't play guitar that well, not remotely, but (and in my opinion!) the dude's tone is ... not great.. sorry. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/6/22 8:08 a.m.

I'm definitely not sitting in an executive office on Disney property because it was easier to go to work with swmbo because I'ma go buy Legos at the Lego store. 

Also, I think I'm going to go back to work soon. I'm kind of tired of blowing through my stupid E36 M3 budget on things like... groceries. The plus side is Disney has recently made it so that people that look like me are acceptable, I've got a couple of pretty great references within the company I can use, and I can polish off some of my old skills and make some decent $$$. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/6/22 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

God, I hope you get the new slot for an audio-animatronic at the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. laugh 

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
7/6/22 4:15 p.m.

All of my AC systems in just about every car are in disrepair and not functioning properly.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/6/22 6:03 p.m.
Appleseed said:

It's good to have apprehension around tools that spin. A little fear keeps your mind focused.

That's what they taught us in machine shop in high school.  Fear keeps you focused and being all casual and relaxed is when you can get hurt.  

I watch my table saw blade like a hawk.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XYdWzXo61ctRTKMJq8uom2Zny2xIAOW8khfODRhfw6rs4ZebHNAx4BcSMHIhLWOL