RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
7/20/22 6:57 p.m.

I'm beginning to think everyone named Ryan is a douchebag. It's true for the dozen I've met through the years at least. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/20/22 8:28 p.m.

Is Ryan the new Kyle, or just your local equivalent of the National Kyle Syndicate?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/21/22 12:40 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Is Ryan the new Kyle, or just your local equivalent of the National Kyle Syndicate?

and how about Kayden?  or Kamden?  I've met one of each of those recently.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/21/22 12:42 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Aiden, Braden, and Jayden are the new Ryan and Kyle.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/21/22 1:38 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Appleseed said:

and how about Kayden?  or Kamden?  I've met one of each of those recently.

Did they steal a Monster Energy, slam it, and punch drywall at a Home Depot?

No? Not a Kyle equivalent.

wae
wae PowerDork
7/22/22 11:43 a.m.

The local dealer has a used AMG version of one of those G-Wagen things for sale.  It's a 2019, I think, with around 1,000 miles on it.  They're asking almost $245,000 for it.

I do not understand why anyone would buy one of those on purpose, much less spend house money on it.  Those things are just hideous to behold....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/22/22 12:20 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I have a theory on that, which I have posted on here frequently enough that it doesn't bear repeating.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/22/22 12:59 p.m.
wae said:

The local dealer has a used AMG version of one of those G-Wagen things for sale.  It's a 2019, I think, with around 1,000 miles on it.  They're asking almost $245,000 for it.

I do not understand why anyone would buy one of those on purpose, much less spend house money on it.  Those things are just hideous to behold....

I have been seeing more and more of those on the road.  Previously I had only seen them in the local Mercedes dealer's overflow lot (closed bank parking lot next to where I worked)

My theory:  Normal Mercedes are hard to come by, so people are reduced to having to buy the truck that looks like a garden shed on wheels, because it is that or nothing.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/23/22 10:43 a.m.

Took a crack at designing today's autocross course and the end result is "Oops, all throttle." Everyone that has run it is like "The hardest part is knowing when to grab third gear."

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
7/23/22 11:49 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

My only ever "real" drift happened in my old s10 grabbing third on a big sweeping left at my first autocross. Rookie mistake ended awesome even though nobody saw. Turns out it was faster to leave it in second anyway. Instructors are good. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/23/22 5:37 p.m.

In reply to wae :

While I also think there is no reason for those to exist, like 6 years ago a neighbor of ours worked for MBNA and would bring home some cool stuff from time to time.  He was shuttling one of those from Chicago to Pittsburg and had it overnight at his house.  He let me take it for a short drive and it was eye opening.  It rode like a pickup from the 50's, but was ridiculously fast, it also had a metallic orange paint job that he said was 20K alone.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
7/23/22 7:04 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
wae said:

I have been seeing more and more of those on the road.  Previously I had only seen them in the local Mercedes dealer's overflow lot (closed bank parking lot next to where I worked)

My theory:  Normal Mercedes are hard to come by, so people are reduced to having to buy the truck that looks like a garden shed on wheels, because it is that or nothing.

I had a meeting with a guy yesterday morning and that is what he showed up in. They look bad ass in person. I would have liked to take a stab at the V8 twin turbo to see how hard it pulled. 
The guy is pretty well known for his vehicles including a new Bugatti that he picked up last month. I was hoping to see that but the AMG G Wagon is pretty sweet. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
7/23/22 9:49 p.m.

I didn't realize how much I liked Salt-N-Pepa

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/24/22 6:11 p.m.
NickD said:

Took a crack at designing today's autocross course and the end result is "Oops, all throttle." Everyone that has run it is like "The hardest part is knowing when to grab third gear."

So, this got even funnier. We had a doubleheader weekend and at the end of yesterday, the more experienced folk decided that Sunday's course would be the same course but run backwards with minor adjustment. Everyone agreed that the main change was that the middle section needed to be slowed down (literally 15 seconds of WOT in third gear with a couple wiggles of the steering wheel). Somehow instead they left the middle third alone and sped up the other 2/3rds. So the end result was one of the most psychotic autocross courses I've driven. I had to go to third gear for extended periods of time in three separate spots. The consensus was that the key to good times was commitment and sheer guts.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/24/22 6:20 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Sounds like an I-96 rallycross laugh

I really wish I could find the SD card from my runs last year.  100hp RX-7 and I was going fast enough to get heavy brake dust.  The course is laid out on a dirt double oval, which limits what you can do, and there is usually a section where you come off the outside of the track, over the banking, and WOT down the front straight and brake hard to go into the infield.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/24/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I miss when they were in rotation.

"Makes me wanna shoop..."

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/25/22 1:39 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Stampie :

I miss when they were in rotation.

"Makes me wanna shoop..."

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
7/25/22 2:55 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Some of us are douchebags, but not all of us.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/26/22 9:14 a.m.

A guy I autocross with has been espousing how great Legends cars are for doing a wide variety of motorsports, including autocross, and how relatively cheap they are. This has led me down the rabbit hole and now, damn, I kinda want one too

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/26/22 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I'm always mad that they actually play so little of that song in the movie.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
7/26/22 10:18 a.m.
NickD said:

A guy I autocross with has been espousing how great Legends cars are for doing a wide variety of motorsports, including autocross, and how relatively cheap they are. This has led me down the rabbit hole and now, damn, I kinda want one too

Having looked at one up close, if I got into autox, a Legends car would be high on my list if I were to buy something to tow to events.  I would also assume they are big enough that you don't have to clear the course of cars, like with shifter karts.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/26/22 1:38 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
NickD said:

Having looked at one up close, if I got into autox, a Legends car would be high on my list if I were to buy something to tow to events.  I would also assume they are big enough that you don't have to clear the course of cars, like with shifter karts.

As my friend was pointing out, you can run them in a whole lot of stuff: road courses, autocross, hillclimbs, paved oval, dirt oval. And the ones I was seeing were in the $7500-$9500 and came with a E36 M3load of spare parts, plus they're light enough you can town them with a small truck or SUV. While I'm sure they aren't ultra competitive PAX-wise at autocross, I bet they'd give a lot of stuff a run for its money for FTD.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
8/8/22 11:45 a.m.

Mowing the yard yesterday I noticed that the grass strip between the street and the sidewalk was pretty inconsistent going down my street. Since it is a mix of residential and commercial properties, the yard work gets done at varying times (or not ever for two of the lots).

So when I was done with my yard I just crossed the street and knocked down the grass strip for half the street. Just the little grass strip, the owners can do the rest themselves. But it made the street look nice.

And then I realized I'm "that guy" now.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/8/22 11:55 a.m.

In reply to slefain :

Im the only house on the dead end, with other people's land touching mine or vacant lots. Ive been maintaining the annoying bits of other peoples land for more than a decade. Makes me happier to see it nice, they don't care.

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
8/10/22 9:47 p.m.

I distrust and hate working with RTV.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PfLiqTPr3AFNt6ZhrcF0r3xqjMxzVlneyNWx6aXDmWkP06vRlJTziIP6f8d6gicp