Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/25/23 8:36 a.m.
Stampie said:

Everyone says that a man's mid life crisis is buying a sports car.  I think mine is buying acreage and heavy machinery.  Not sure which is better or cheaper.

Trust me, acreage and heavy machinery will outlast a sports car.  I'm on 25 acres, and I'm still using a 1950 Ferguson tractor, a 1975 Gilson garden tractor, to do work around the property.  Plus, acreage won't lose value, you can modify it to your needs, play with it hard and shouldn't break.  By the way, my mid life crisis started when I was around 15, and I'm knocking on 70.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/25/23 9:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

For no good reason Hennessey Honda of Woodstock popped in my head this evening. They are still tge high water mark of this forum for me. Other than Amy. 

Fogger, jr ranks up there.

I was there for most of the Amy saga, but I totally missed Fogger Jr.  That thread passed into the realm of myth long ago.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/25/23 10:09 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

If we only knew when it was going on what we were witnessing...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/25/23 10:12 a.m.
Duke said:
Appleseed said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

For no good reason Hennessey Honda of Woodstock popped in my head this evening. They are still tge high water mark of this forum for me. Other than Amy. 

I was there for most of the Amy saga, but I totally missed Fogger Jr.  That thread passed into the realm of myth long ago.

Wow, was Fogger Jr. really that long ago?  I seem to recall it was deleted relatively quickly, so I may have missed some of it near the end.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
4/25/23 10:36 a.m.
Duke said:
Appleseed said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I know I came in here fairly recently but I feel deprived. It sounds like we need a "Best of" curated forum like CL has. 

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
4/25/23 10:38 a.m.

I hate work, and everything, including getting out of bed, is becoming a chore.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
4/25/23 11:01 a.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

I suspect those might not be included in a "Best of" selection because they were pushing it with the level of moderation we have.  Probably for the better, as having been here before the "new" forum(that really isn't that new anymore), I can only think of a few other threads that got nuked for similar reasons.

A best of for still existing threads might be neat, though.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/25/23 1:22 p.m.

I don't mind driving a little further out of my way to go to a car wash that smells like bubble gum. 

wae
wae PowerDork
4/25/23 1:33 p.m.

I took the kids to school today and stopped at the car wash on the way home.  After the wash, I used their trash can and vacuum.  My wife has to take me to and from the doctor today and I didn't feel like riding around in a dumpster.  She thinks it was me being nice to her.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/25/23 1:56 p.m.

In reply to wae :

I get up early every day.

On weekends, I bring my wife coffee in bed. It gives me an extra hour to read quietly downstairs.

wae
wae PowerDork
4/25/23 2:06 p.m.

In reply to wae :

We're 5 minutes into the drive and I don't think she noticed.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/26/23 6:44 p.m.

I kinda want something with a 383.  Mopar, not some stroked Chevy.

I have never driven one, but supposedly they revved like small blocks while making decent big block power.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/26/23 7:17 p.m.

I have too many projects and cars for available space and time and money,  but i can't get the idea of a 53-54 chevy sled with a turbo 4200 and bags out of my head.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/26/23 7:28 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I have never driven one, but supposedly they revved like small blocks while making decent big block power.

Yeah, big bore by pretty tiny stroke, plus Mopar big block heads had pretty decent flow at mid-to-high lift (unlike, say, Pontiac). Add tunnel ram for extra fun. Also pretty neat in that you can stick a crank with a full inch extra stroke in them with ease, and build 505 and 512s out of them really easily. Cool engines, but everybody wants a 440 or Hemi.

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
4/26/23 8:02 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I don't mind driving a little further out of my way to go to a car wash that smells like bubble gum. 

I would drive a significant distance out if my way to avoid a car wash that smells like bubble gum.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
4/26/23 8:15 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

When I was 16 my best friend got a settlement for a bad accident he was in when he was young. With that money he bought a one owner 70 Challenger with a 383 magnum. I grew up around fast cars, and that car was legit fast, and did feel like a small block making big block power.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/1/23 8:23 p.m.

Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Stampie :

Do you want ticks? Cause thats how you get ticks.

So in three visits clothed I found six ticks.  Four attached two walking.  I'll describe where they attached if asked but doubt that'll happen.  After that I got tick spray and spray myself every time I go there.  I haven't found any more since but I still go to the bathroom and inspect every berkeleying time I feel an itch between my knees and bellybutton.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
5/1/23 8:27 p.m.
Stampie said:

Mr_Asa said:

In reply to Stampie :

Do you want ticks? Cause thats how you get ticks.

So in three visits clothed I found six ticks.  Four attached two walking.  I'll describe where they attached if asked but doubt that'll happen.  After that I got tick spray and spray myself every time I go there.  I haven't found any more since but I still go to the bathroom and inspect every berkeleying time I feel an itch between my knees and bellybutton.

What were they attached to?  Pics please.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/1/23 8:32 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Downvoted

cheeky

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
5/1/23 8:33 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Downvoted

cheeky

Upvoted!  Lolz.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/1/23 8:36 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No pics ... sorry.  Let's see the first one was on the crease of my lower right butt cheek. I felt something biting me.  Was like naw.  Then an hour later I felt it again and was like oh E36 M3 I need to check this out.  That was the worse to remove.  A day later I felt something on my left upper leg ... yep another one.  At this point I learned to put a cap of full strength rubbing alcohol over the tick and that stuns them for a bit.  Much easier to remove.  Next was right above my belly button.  Saw a little black spot but no itch or pain.  Inspected with a bright light and yep that's another.  Then I started inspecting more and yep right side of the ball sack.  berkeleyer went for the main blood source.  Alcohol cap worked great again.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/1/23 8:38 p.m.
NickD said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Yeah, big bore by pretty tiny stroke, plus Mopar big block heads had pretty decent flow at mid-to-high lift (unlike, say, Pontiac). Add tunnel ram for extra fun. Also pretty neat in that you can stick a crank with a full inch extra stroke in them with ease, and build 505 and 512s out of them really easily. Cool engines, but everybody wants a 440 or Hemi.

One of the cars I learned to drive in had a 400, which was kind of a bored out 383.  What it gained in bore, it lost in camshaft specs and compression.  Memory says it was rated at 160hp.

I HAVE driven a few 440s, one stroked 440 in a Road Runner, and a 426 wedge, but that smog era 400 was the only B engine I can think of.  I think I WORKED on a 383 Barracuda but didn't drive it.  Early car, probably worth more than half my block right now.  I don't feel bad about not driving some things, waaaaay too much liability.  

But 383... I know where there is one for sale, too.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
5/1/23 10:12 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

No pics ... sorry.  Let's see the first one was on the crease of my lower right butt cheek. I felt something biting me.  Was like naw.  Then an hour later I felt it again and was like oh E36 M3 I need to check this out.  That was the worse to remove.  A day later I felt something on my left upper leg ... yep another one.  At this point I learned to put a cap of full strength rubbing alcohol over the tick and that stuns them for a bit.  Much easier to remove.  Next was right above my belly button.  Saw a little black spot but no itch or pain.  Inspected with a bright light and yep that's another.  Then I started inspecting more and yep right side of the ball sack.  berkeleyer went for the main blood source.  Alcohol cap worked great again.

Thanks, I needed that.  Lolz.

Also, aiui...  ticks in Florida, Georgia, SC don't carry lymes disease as much as Northern states.

Edit...  it's less, but fairly common for them to have lymes disease.  Lymes disease is no joke.  It still effects me to some degree.  Don't berkeley around with it.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
5/3/23 12:23 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

A follow up here.  Today we went back to the property.  We parked at the ditch line and I asked Lil Stampie where was the tick spray.  He grabbed it and did a light spray on himself.  I looked at him and said "Obviously you haven't had to remove a tick from your ball sack.  I put a lot more on."  He immediately sprayed a lot more.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
5/3/23 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Thanks Stampie. I needed a laugh this morning.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8kUlXmH05SOvhPFbbR42Gmcfl5TodFhgvcqsTunRbEW7fNtTQpQEZJksIH5HSWRO