Torkel
Torkel Reader
7/18/19 9:19 a.m.

My car is a Porsche Boxster and your car is a "Insert 90s GM truck or SUV here". Are you sure you want to be following me that close? Really? Do you have any perception of how fast my car stops, compared to yours? I know I'll be getting the worst of it if you rear end me, but you wouldn't exactly benefit from the collision, would you?

I understand that you have an absolutely miniscule penis and I can perhaps imagine the suffering that comes with that. But driving any closer to "that guy in that forren porsch car" isn't going to improve things for you. I don't see anyone winning here...

Torkel
Torkel Reader
7/18/19 9:28 a.m.
Antihero said:

My old dog is having behavioral issues and I'm worried I'm gonna have to push the Horrible Outcome button soon.

I love that dog more than anything. I hate this

So sorry to hear. I share the nightmare, as I'm sure many of us do. My dog is 12 and even though she is very healthy, the fact that she won't always be around is sinking in and it is absolutely terrifying.

It is btw the only times I've seen my father openly cry.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
7/18/19 10:07 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

After this last weekend, I'm more concerned about how things are going to go with ours down the line myself.

This last weekend was the first time that the dog had spent very much time at all around a non-adult (my first-grade-aged nephew). To our surprise the weekend went pretty well for the first few days, with honestly the nephew needing more reminding that he needed to not run around with the dog around being the only real thing needed.

Unfortunately, that changed Monday evening when all of us (and the dog) were on the big back porch of the cabin and the nephew decided that he wanted me to try picking him up like I had done earlier when we were away from the cabin. When I picked him up the dog Freaked. The. Berk. Out. and ran over and barked up a storm and jumped up and nipped at him and was still completely wound up and frantic after I (quickly) put the kid down. For the rest of the evening and even into the next day when we all left, the dog was hyper-vigilant about keeping an eye on the kid. 

The MIL (kid's grandmother) of course freaked out that he was trying to bite the kid, but I (and the kid's mother, my sister-in-law) am far more convinced he was trying to grab onto his shoes to keep me from picking him up. 

Now, in normal life this doesn't worry me and is less of a concern than the dog trying to do his best to keep me from hugging and kissing my wife- but it does raise some questions as to how he would react/respond if we are able to have a baby or if we end up adopting a child... it's pretty solidly not an option to not be able to pick up a baby/child without the dog freaking out...

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
7/18/19 10:12 a.m.

I realize that a lot of this is due to the fact that nearly everything is an hour away from me by car, but I've grown to hate commuting.  Even getting out on my formerly fun back roads, I find they're plagued by sunday drivers or just blissfully unaware folks who are doing 15-20 mph under the limit.  I can't afford track time, nor do I want to run door to door in my nugget with 600 horsepower Corvettes at your average HPDE.

I'm already driving a relatively boring turbo commuter box, I'm ready to trade it in for a CVT 40 mpg crapbox with ventilated seats and just forfeit any driving pleasure.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/18/19 10:21 a.m.

There are now two people in my office engaged in a pathetic dry cough contest. Like dueling banjos, except more pathetic and more contagious.

I have no sympathy. Go the berk home, you inconsiderate old hag. No one will miss you for a day or two, because nobody can figure out what you actually do here to contribute to the greater good on your best day. And when you're sick, it inherently isn't your best day. Nothing will come of you being here except more people will be sick next week.

(The other party is dry coughing because he is ... dying. Not contagious, chronic respiratory issues. Still at work because he loves it and is too stubborn to retire. But in the meantime, he is value-added and has a really good sense of humor, so we put up with him).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/18/19 10:39 a.m.

Damn, if I'd been shopping for ultra-high-end camera gear on Amazon yesterday, I coulda set myself up nicely for the next couple years:

https://petapixel.com/2019/07/17/amazon-accidentally-sold-13000-camera-gear-for-100-on-prime-day/

Ashyukun (Robert)
7/18/19 11:03 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Damn, wish I'd seen that- we could have really used another nice camera to use to record the Dancer's non-profit's shows...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/18/19 11:10 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Damn, if I'd been shopping for ultra-high-end camera gear on Amazon yesterday, I coulda set myself up nicely for the next couple years:

https://petapixel.com/2019/07/17/amazon-accidentally-sold-13000-camera-gear-for-100-on-prime-day/

I found literally nothing on Prime Days, and this was happening? Ugh.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/18/19 11:22 a.m.
Hungary Bill said:
Antihero said:

My old dog is having behavioral issues and I'm worried I'm gonna have to push the Horrible Outcome button soon.

I love that dog more than anything. I hate this

I'm pulling for you and your pup man.  

Thanks guys.

I don't know what's up, he's suddenly agressive and nippy. He's 12 years old and is spending a few nights in the backyard alone, which usually is an effective punishment for him but it can't be long term for obvious reasons.

But I can't have a 100 dog that goes ballistic and nips at my wife for no reason too

Torkel
Torkel Reader
7/18/19 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Sounds like something is wrong (well, duh!). Since he is that old, I think you should take him to the vet and have him checked out. Anything from brain tumor to tooth ache or a dog loosing his/hers eyesight (or hearing!) can cause aggressive behavior. Have him checked out - maybe you can help him.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/18/19 11:49 a.m.
Torkel said:

In reply to Antihero :

Sounds like something is wrong (well, duh!). Since he is that old, I think you should take him to the vet and have him checked out. Anything from brain tumor to tooth ache or a dog loosing his/hers eyesight (or hearing!) can cause aggressive behavior. Have him checked out - maybe you can help him.

It's definitely something I'm planning on doing. 

His eyesight seems good, I tested it with throwing him food to grab and rolling it on the ground. His hearing could be less than stellar now, but he's a stubborn dog too so it could just be that hes not wanting to listen.

Tooth ache is probably a no since he chews on toys a lot and never whimpers. Earache could be likely although he never really scratches them.

The problem is he's always been a vocal dog, and it does scare vets although it has never been an aggressive thing, he just doesn't like being prodded. So they will gave to sedate him and his breed is somewhat sensitive to sedation

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/18/19 9:33 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to wae :

Sorry to hear that. From what I hear through the grapevine (as I got to get my backside in gear re applying for US citizenship), everything to do with immigration issues takes forever at the moment. 7-12 months for a reply isn't that bad actually. Which of course is pretty bad in and by itself.

friend of mine if from Cologne Germany, he had to get two extensions on his card due to the backlog. He got his new official green card last week

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/18/19 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

One of our dogs occasionally has to take anti anxiety meds.  It has a noticeable impact to her behavior.  She has gotten cranky in her old age,   but with the vets help it’s been manageable and she is still a happy pup.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/18/19 11:29 p.m.
Cotton said:

In reply to Antihero :

One of our dogs occasionally has to take anti anxiety meds.  It has a noticeable impact to her behavior.  She has gotten cranky in her old age,   but with the vets help it’s been manageable and she is still a happy pup.

That's good to know, I saw sone off the shelf antianxiety things but I'm not sure how effective it would be

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/18/19 11:45 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

A lot of people seem to have good luck with rescue remedy and you can get it at pet stores and on amazon.  We ended up with the pills because we wanted the vet to check her out too and that was his recommendation.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/19/19 2:04 a.m.

You have to be up in 4.5 hours.

Go to sleep.

You have to go to work tomorrow.

Go the berk to sleep.

You have a house to prep for paint this weekend. 

GO-THE-BERK-TO-SLEEP!

Why can't I go the berk to sleep? 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/19/19 2:07 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

If you figure it out let me know and I'll see if it helps me too.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
7/19/19 3:16 a.m.

My dog has been throwing up past 4 hours...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/19/19 8:28 a.m.

Well, the time has come for my cat Linus.  We really didn't want him to go at the vet's office, scared and surrounded by strangers, so we scheduled his final visit for this coming Monday evening at home.  I'm sure it will be better for him, but now we go a whole weekend knowing what is going to happen.  I'm not handling it great, and my wife is a total wreck right now.

The little guy has been the strangest combination of infuriating and endearing in the nearly 14 years he's been with us.

wae
wae SuperDork
7/19/19 8:37 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that

Ashyukun (Robert)
7/19/19 8:41 a.m.

That's really sad to hear... I remember both Linus and Lucy as kittens running around your place, it's hard to believe that so much time has gone by and it's time to say goodbye to him. It really sucks that we have to outlive the pets that we care for so much. :( I hope that you can have a great last weekend with him at least!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/19/19 8:49 a.m.

My condolences to your family.  It's always difficult to make the right decision with pets.  Have a good weekend with lots of lap time.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/19/19 8:56 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) and wae :

Thank you, I know you’ve been through some rough times losing pets in the last few years, too.  It’s tough, especially since when he’s awake, he still seems alright, if less energetic, but he isn’t eating as much as he should, is sleeping way more than usual, and now has to take his “as-needed” anti-nausea medicine every day.  You guys have seen the way he ate in the past, too - until about three weeks ago we were still able to hide his pills in his food, but now we’re having to use a pill popper on him, you can imagine how much he hates that.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
7/19/19 8:59 a.m.
Duke said:

My condolences to your family.  It's always difficult to make the right decision with pets.  Have a good weekend with lots of lap time.

Thanks, we’re planning on spending the weekend mostly at home, so he gets to hang out with us as much as he wants.  He is very much a lap cat.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/19/19 9:42 a.m.

Sorry to hear. Even though they aren't humans, pets are still family, and losing them is never easy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8qQJUnDW3LuFMRqMr72eMhgUY362hedpEHhEUaxCglL4rskGhqTysnn830DHiw3j