JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
7/23/19 12:53 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Can you run a fan through the area to help dehydrate it?

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/23/19 1:30 p.m.
JohnInKansas said:

In reply to slefain :

Can you run a fan through the area to help dehydrate it?

Kind of doing that now.  I have the garage doors open to let the breeze blow through. It is a detached garage, but my office is in the back. Every time I walk out of my office door to get another cup of coffee from the house BAM, dead animal funk. I've been fighting rats in here for years, little bastards have a 20 year head start on me though before I moved in.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
7/23/19 2:23 p.m.

Why does flyin miata have to have so much stuff I want. Just spent $200 on led lights for my ND. I blame Keith.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/23/19 3:25 p.m.

The local NIMBYs are losing their minds over a local church planning on tearing down two old houses to put in a park. They've been trying to fight it for months, but the property owner has every legal right to nuke the houses if they feel like it. The other day the properties were ringed with 10' chain link fence, which means they are coming down soon. I may pack a cheese sandwich and some potato salad to go watch the bulldozers work.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
7/23/19 3:39 p.m.

My mortgage broker just got fired for violating the Dodd-Frank act.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
7/23/19 4:21 p.m.

After meeting with the contractor yesterday, today I sat down today and ran the hard numbers on where we stand with our finances and completing the cabin. The good news: Assuming no drastic surprises pop up, we have the funds to finish it. The bad news: That's assuming we cut back modestly on our spending such that we don't need to use any of the remaining funds in savings to pay normal expenses... I had been planning on using some of them to offset the extra I'm having taken out of my paycheck to account for the huge tax hit I expect next year. 

Hopefully if it is completed in the next month and a half and we start renting it out, it will do well and help supplement our finances or at worst pay for itself such that it's not a financial drag... but there's just no guarantee of that- nor that I've not estimated some of the costs wrong and they're higher than we expect...

shagles
shagles New Reader
7/23/19 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed and daeman:

I'm right there with both of you. I do that all the time.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/23/19 5:28 p.m.

I forgot to put an item on my FCP Euro order that was the main reason I needed to place an order with them in the first place.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/23/19 7:59 p.m.

I miss having a bass guitar.  I should be more pissed off at my ex roommate who decided that paying bills was too hard, and therefore all of my possessions were stuck in the house when the bank foreclosed.

Dammit, that was my MOM's bass  The production date stamped on the neck was her 16th birthday.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
7/23/19 8:03 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

They got me today too.  Overstock exhaust sale or some such nonsense.  Of course, it would have been rude to say no when they were nice enough to put their naturally aspirated NB exhaust in the rummage bin.  

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
7/23/19 8:26 p.m.
kazoospec said:

In reply to MrChaos :

They got me today too.  Overstock exhaust sale or some such nonsense.  Of course, it would have been rude to say no when they were nice enough to put their naturally aspirated NB exhaust in the rummage bin.  

yes I saw their post about the led sequential turns signals and had to get the side and corner lights too.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/23/19 8:33 p.m.
slefain said:

The local NIMBYs are losing their minds over a local church planning on tearing down two old houses to put in a park. They've been trying to fight it for months, but the property owner has every legal right to nuke the houses if they feel like it. The other day the properties were ringed with 10' chain link fence, which means they are coming down soon. I may pack a cheese sandwich and some potato salad to go watch the bulldozers work.

You would think they would welcome a park. Those add to property values

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/23/19 8:37 p.m.

Maybe I'm naive, but the price of lug nuts at parts stores seems a bit...much. Over 40 bucks for 20 lugnuts? I mean, I get it, they're important, they keep your wheels from falling off...but still! Even the non-chrome ones are 2 bucks each it seems.

Granted, I could have got them a bit cheaper on RockAuto, but I kinda needed them right away because the old ones are stubby and hard to get the lug wrench on with the different wheels I'm putting on. They sit pretty deep in the wheels, unlike the stock wheels. Plus the old ones just don't look as cool. See, I put one new one on and it's already 1/5th better looking.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/23/19 8:40 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

You could have bought a set of Gorilla spline-drives for a lot less.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/23/19 9:09 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to slowbird :

You could have bought a set of Gorilla spline-drives for a lot less.

I did see some spline-drive lug nuts but I didn't really look to see how much they cost. Call me stubborn, I just kinda like lug nuts that are hex shaped, for no good reason.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/23/19 10:15 p.m.
mad_machine said:
slefain said:

You would think, but one of the reasons they say it will ruin the area is the sound of kids playing will be a disturbance.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/23/19 10:24 p.m.
slefain said:
mad_machine said:
slefain said:

You would think, but one of the reasons they say it will ruin the area is the sound of kids playing will be a disturbance.

I’m not an old man,  but that probably wouldn’t make me all that happy either of it were real noisy.  We passed on a house that was in a cul-de-sac with a basketball goal.  No way I wanted to hear that bouncing ball all the time.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/23/19 11:17 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Because, in a pinch,  you can find a hex sockets just about anywhere.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/24/19 5:48 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

17mm sockets work on Gorilla spline drives, in a pinch.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/24/19 8:24 a.m.
MrChaos said:

Why does flyin miata have to have so much stuff I want. 

FM has stuff I want too, but its always backordered. Every time I go to look at their stuff, most of the parts I want/need is on backorder. When I was looking into boost for my car, I eyeballs their turbo kits for months and they were on backorder because of intercooler not being available. Big reason why I went Rotrex blower kit instead. I've been buying pretty much everything else from other suppliers now too

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/24/19 10:06 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I miss having a bass guitar.  I should be more pissed off at my ex roommate who decided that paying bills was too hard, and therefore all of my possessions were stuck in the house when the bank foreclosed.

Dammit, that was my MOM's bass  The production date stamped on the neck was her 16th birthday.

What bass was it?

We live in an era of great cheap guitars and basses, there's a lot of options under $200 that are great too

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
7/24/19 1:10 p.m.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore sad

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/24/19 1:14 p.m.

Hemmoroids SUCK

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/24/19 1:26 p.m.

Why does a bass guitar not rhyme with a bass fish? Where is the H in Cello?

Due to English, I spent a certain amount of my childhood confused. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/24/19 1:28 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I forgot to put an item on my FCP Euro order that was the main reason I needed to place an order with them in the first place.

Good news!  The order has been delayed due to one item, so I won't get it until next week, meaning I won't have time to actually install anything.

I can source the timing belt locally, and now there's no point to spending the extra $18 for faster shipping.  Hopefully they will work with me on this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F9Zbb6RjQwOgkxkDN0TRMH6TiSeu0btHiauQ4OiRUvz6nnaLEmTYHYT86y9TTANb