Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/20/19 8:04 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

The best thing to do is to do nothing.  Let the temptation pass.  Because as soon as you commit to something, something more awesome will come up.

Also?  165k on a '15?  Damn.  Whoever had that drove the hell out of it.  Knurled-approved!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
9/20/19 8:26 p.m.

55 mile a day commute in FL?  I’d go looking for an estate sale Buick or a Toyota Avalon.  Might as well be comfortable.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/20/19 8:37 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I drive more than that and I'm thinking the best thing is a really good stereo.  And insta-torque to be able to squirt past the zombie who was driving exactly the same speed as the person next to them for the past mile, and now that person in the center lane moved out of the center lane to the right lane because... who knows how zombies work ("think" is too strong a term), need to accelerate 60 to 80 instantly to pull around and actually get somewhere in a timely manner instead of placidly moo-ing around like cattle

I reallly, really like my S60R for commutation concerns.  It has a phenomenal stereo and goes BOOOOOST when I apply light pressure to the thin pedal

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
9/20/19 9:29 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

Automotive ADD is biting me baaaaad. I'm getting bored of the Transit Connect already and my Forte hasn't been driven in a month(?) or so. I was exploring different vehicles yesterday and I was all over the map. I found a brand new 2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X for $28k. Its a nice size but a new 2019 is still buying a 2009. Its pretty dated. Plus fuel economy is abysmal. Next I was looking at F150s because I thought a modern muscle truck would be fun. My unicorn is a 2018+, 3.5L Ecoboost single cab XL with the XL appearance package in blue. But those don't appear to exist in XL trim. At least in 2018 and newer. I can find 2.7L Ecoboosts all day but no 3.5L. I would be OK with the 5.0L but most XLs are fleet vehicles. If I found a 3.5L, I would put a conservative tune on it because ALL THE TORQUES.

Next, I was looking at Challengers. A 6 speed RT would be a nice cruiser that sounds good. But those have a pretty high resale for what they are. A coworker of mine has a dark silver RT(?) 6 speed with aftermarket exhaust that sounds angry.

But, I'm a Mustang guy at heart. I've owned 4; a 1999 GT Coupe, a 1999 Cobra vert (I loved this car more than life itself), a 1993 GT hatch (Reef blue over Opal gray) and a 1995 GT Coupe (last of the OHV 5L). My obtainable dream is a 2015+ GT 6 speed with the performance package in Deep Impact Blue. I see about 8-10 S550 Mustangs per day. The 5L exhaust note is intoxicating. I always roll my window down to listen to a 5L roar off into the distance.

My head says I should save my money since I'm paying off a few debts but my heart aches for something with some soul. My commute is about 55 miles a day and its so mind numbing that I'm going crazy. I miss when driving was fun and not some benign part of life like filing taxes or going to the dentist.

There is a 2015 GT that is local to me. Its not a PP1 but it is Deep Impact Blue. However it has 168k miles which is high. BUT the dealer is asking $15,990 which would be a very reasonable monthly payment. I hate compromising but that price caught my eye. If the car is in good shape, what would you do? Wait for exactly what I want or jump on that car? PLS HELP

2015 Mustang GT with stupid miles

A good stereo is a good idea. That mustang has way too many miles for a 2015, I wouldn't touch that at all.

I got a zx2 because it was lively to drive and got good mpg. The 70 mile commute I was doing in the 00 explorer was putting me to sleep. The explorer is great but the muffler is gone and the heater is stupid great, warm+white noise+70miles almost put me to sleep a lot of times

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/20/19 9:38 p.m.
Subscriber-unavailabile said:

Came here hoping to make some new car friends but everyone ignores me. I know bitch baby. World is a bitch when you have no one.

Odd. I do not recall seeing any of your posts in the first place. Either I am very good at ignoring you, or I missed you completely

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/20/19 9:50 p.m.

I have 10,900 odd posts.  I'm 19,000 behind a dude who hasn't posted here for a couple of years, and Keith.

Must postwhore more.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/20/19 9:52 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I have 10,900 odd posts.  I'm 19,000 behind a dude who hasn't posted here for a couple of years, and Keith.

Must postwhore more.

You are 18,000 behind me too

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/21/19 6:29 a.m.

Wake up early to go to an autocross, they said...it'll be fun, they said... *grumbles with one eye half-open while stumbling towards the shower*

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
9/21/19 7:05 a.m.

Tiger Moms ex is a world class POS.  He used to call each of his daughters every day just to “chat” and they never wanted to talk to him.  (BTW, TM has full custody the ex has no legal standing whatever at this point) 

The calls sound like a nice idea but he would call at inopportune times and if they didn’t answer he would start calling each phone in turn continuously until someone answered.   You know, like during dinner or some equally ideal time.

And as some of you remember a few months back he was instrumental in introducing the older girl to his drug dealer friend.  So for three months his number has been blocked.  The oldest is off to college and she doesn’t need his distraction and the younger was just tired of his E36 M3 (she’s 16).

Long story but bear with me, it’s all related.

Last night TM and I have the house to ourselves, it’s a Friday after a long week and we decided it was “redbox and pizza” sort of evening.   So i’m out collecting such.   Driving home as I approach my house there are THREE cops cars parked out front!  POS ex called the cops and told them that we’re abusing his daughter and they are there to perform a safety and welfare check.   Cops are polite and all but this is berkeleying ridiculous.  Daughter was at work so I had to take the cop over to her workplace so she could show that she’s alright and not being abused.  For which she is completely mortified (no 16 year old wants a cop showing up where she works)

TM was completely pissed.  I’m annoyed.  Our evening had a serious dent put in it.  This shiny happy person ex is about due for a tune-up.  

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/21/19 7:11 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

at the very least, somebody needs a restraining order placed against them. Cops and the courts do not like their time wasted with petty stuff like that.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
9/21/19 8:22 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

Restraining orders won't help in "good faith" reports of abuse, or anonymous swatting or red-flagging either.  

Not "good faith"?  Good luck proving it.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
9/21/19 8:23 a.m.

This is actually really common, and yes, cops don't like it. 

TM should request charges against douchebag Ex for Harassment.  She's in a strong position if there are court orders that he has no standing.

Some kind of a protective/restraining/harassment order is a good idea.  Laws vary state to state, and you may not be able to reach the threshold for an order being issued, but it's worth a try.  Make sure to include all the kids, and their places of work and school on the order if you pursue one.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/21/19 9:10 a.m.
slantvaliant said:

Restraining orders won't help in "good faith" reports of abuse, or anonymous swatting or red-flagging either.  

there has to be a way to alert the police that somebody may be using them to harass you via anonymous reports of abuse or swatting?

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Reader
9/21/19 11:28 a.m.

My mom (in Tennessee) calls and asks my opinion

Her - "I found a 2002 Frontier, really clean, 347,017 miles. They only want $1200. Is it worth it? It does need front end bushings. How much do they cost?"

Me - (in Missouri) "347 THOUSAND miles? Walk away"

More banter, she wants something different...

Her - again "How much do the parts cost?"

Me -"Let me pull that number right out of my memory....blah blah blah....roughly $600 for just parts." (sarcasm intended)

Her - "Well what do you think of it?"

Me - "I don't know, what do you think of the pants I have on?" ( I'm in my pajamas..)

Am I wrong to be annoyed that she has her mind made up and asks my opinion?

I guess what really toasts my bread is that I will be going to Tennessee to fix this, this, this, thing......

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
9/21/19 11:32 a.m.
mad_machine said:
slantvaliant said:

there has to be a way to alert the police that somebody may be using them to harass you via anonymous reports of abuse or swatting?

There sorta is, but it's state-to-state specific.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/21/19 11:34 a.m.

Is there any sort of filing a false report type of charge in Kentucky?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/21/19 11:57 a.m.

NO. Shut the berkeley up. We've been having this fight for years and I'm berkeleying sick of it.

"Do you want anything from _____ when I'm there?" NO

"I bought you ____" Why?

"Because it was there and I thought you'd want it"

*3 days later*

"If you're not going to eat/use/do I'm just going to throw it away" Go ahead

"Why do I waste so much money buying all this stuff that you don't eat?" I don't know, I've been telling you NOT to buy it in the first place for YEARS. 

Like a broken berkeleying record, you're going to get tossed in the trash if you keep trying to guilt trip me about E36 M3 I don't want and didn't ask for. LISTEN to me, STOP buying E36 M3 I don't want or like, and STOP trying to berkeleying trip me out about it. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
9/21/19 12:40 p.m.

And that nut between the frame rail and floor, next to the fuel and brake lines, is now rounded off. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/21/19 5:46 p.m.

I've been waiting for a transmission shop manual to arrive after I ordered it on the 14th. The seller took 5 days to ship it out, never updated the eBay auction to show it shipped, then mailed it using USPS Media Mail which is the slowest shipping method on Earth. The package finally gets to the local area and is out to be delivered when I get this notification:

Cool. So somehow the mail carrier could not access my mailbox or front door despite the house sitting on a corner lot, with no fence, with no vehicles in the driveway or parked in the street? Yet somehow was able to deliver the daily junk mail TO MY MAILBOX?

berkeley you USPS angry

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
9/21/19 6:26 p.m.

I was expecting a package via usps last week. Got message saying package was delivered, no answer at door left on front porch. We were all home at this and haven’t received anything. Waited hour to call, did the  whole on the phone for an hour getting transferred to file a claim. 5 hours later my neighbor shows up with my stuff. They  Found the boxes laying in their front yard. Will not be using them again 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
9/21/19 6:32 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

Cool. So somehow the mail carrier could not access my mailbox or front door despite the house sitting on a corner lot, with no fence, with no vehicles in the driveway or parked in the street? Yet somehow was able to deliver the daily junk mail TO MY MAILBOX?

berkeley you USPS angry

Yeah, we got the "no access to delivery location" for three days in a row last winter after it snowed three inches...  So much for the USPS motto...

And our daily mail now comes between 5:45 and 7:00pm most days... angry

Rodan
Rodan Dork
9/21/19 6:35 p.m.

And today, a simple 3-4hr job (axle pivot, and radius arm bushings) on our Bronco turned into a whole weekend... NOTHING went right.

berkeley your TTB axle, Ford... angry

Really not looking forward to having to finish it tomorrow.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/21/19 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

That has happened to me as well. Except that the packages never made it to the delivery vehicle because they showed up the next day after being marked as delivered. I watched the mail carrier pull them out of his truck and put them by my front door. Customer service ran me through the whole "it might of been delivered to a neighbor" and "wait 2 more days before filing a claim" BS.

I'm also waiting on a package that made it to the "Regional Destination Facility" which is about 15 miles from my house but has not moved in 4 days. I ordered it late on the 14th, the tracking number was provided on the 15th, it was accepted by USPS on the 16th and made it from Nashville, TN to the regional facility in ONE DAY but has been showing "In transit to next facility" since the 17th. Its just an insulated mug but WTF?

So yeah, USPS has been on my E36 M3-list for the past week or so.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/21/19 7:08 p.m.
Rodan said:

Yeah, we got the "no access to delivery location" for three days in a row last winter after it snowed three inches...  So much for the USPS motto...

"Neither snow* nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

* except 3+ inches of snow laugh

Which is funny because the last winter I lived in southern Idaho, we got like 20"+ inches of snow overnight one time (which is an emergency on par with Atlanta getting 3" of snow) and I watched my mail carrier plow her LLV through snow drifts higher than the front bumper to deliver the mail. She was not giving up just because of some snow. She was awesome though smiley

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/21/19 7:10 p.m.
Knurled. said:

The best thing to do is to do nothing.  Let the temptation pass.  Because as soon as you commit to something, something more awesome will come up.

Also?  165k on a '15?  Damn.  Whoever had that drove the hell out of it.  Knurled-approved!

What?! You're not being a very good enabler! I have something else waiting until Monday that is an equally bad idea devil

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J0N6vi4EQDBcgNQSY90a1zP4EtlyrW3EF5ca7wxZ4SM5MZ4qfv1HlrNsBW9byBdX