Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
4/1/20 2:52 p.m.

Given the gravity of everything going on, it seems almost selfish to rant about such a small thing... but it is cathartic just typing it out and knowing there are people reading it who will get it (ranting at the Dancer about this is like her complaining about some of her students not getting part of a dance position right- I can be sympathetic, but will not understand in the least bit what she's talking about).

So yesterday I finally got started on tearing the front end off of the QX4. Pretty much all of the front suspension and such is getting replaced because it likely hasn't been touched for at least 6 years (it has KYB front struts on it though, so presumably they're not the originals from 18 years ago). In the process of taking apart one of the hubs, I partially stripped out the head of a small screw that holds a lock plate to the bearing nut. Thankfully I was able to get it out, but do not want to put a stripped screw back in- so I need a replacement. It's not a common enough part that I can find it on Rock Auto, and while I can find it some other places online it will cost like $20 for 4 small screws (figure all 4 on the truck should be replaced at the same time). 

So, I first try calling up the Infiniti dealership- but get voicemail at their parts department. No clue if they're even open or not. So, I look up and call the Nissan dealership across town- and make the mistake of telling the guy who picks up the phone that I need a part for an Infiniti QX4 and he says, "Sorry, I can't get those." Me: "It's going to be the exact same part on a Pathfinder." Parts guy: "You'll have to call the Infiniti dealership." *hands up on me*

Next time I'm going to assume that the person on the other end of the phone doesn't know anything about the vehicles they're dealing with and will just tell them I need a part for a Pathfinder. I mean, I have the part number sitting on the screen in front of me- if he had waited 30 seconds more I could have given it to him and he could looked up and confirmed that it was a valid Nissan part and matched with what I was describing. 

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
4/1/20 8:03 p.m.

People working essential jobs should get some sort of hazard pay in these times. I know, I know....."lucky to be working" but.....hearing people getting paid the same amount to sit at home telling the poor checker that she's lucky to be working is pissing me off.

I'm glad I can still make money in these times. I'm glad that my fairly benign essential job is safe but......I would like to sit at home and make money too, hell I'd like a single day off once in awhile even. It wouldn't be so bad if people were less bitchy but they are exponentially worse now, everything is a berkeleying disaster. It would be nice to hear something nice.

And everyone has a hand out. I get that you are hurting, everyone is hurting....but to tell people that sales have dropped 10 percent so the community has to step up and help them? Some people have much less.

I help out local businesses, I buy things that I don't really need, I get food from our local restaurants to help them, I'm helping a couple people that have had jobs disappear......and yet it's all met with a feeling of disappointment that it should be more since I'm lucky to be working.

And my job isn't really dealing with the public much, I don't know how everyone that works in grocery stores hasn't stabbed multiple people by now.

I know, I know.....I'm an shiny happy person

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/1/20 8:16 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Honestly, I'm with you. I am declared essential, so I'm at work. I'm happy to go, because everything else is closed. I also know that I would likely make a profit getting laid off right now. The sense of entitlement that people are exhibiting, especially now, is insane. If you're that worried about covid that you're wearing a mask and lunchlady gloves, guess what? You don't need mulch for your lawn. You do need to stay home, and quit being angry at me when I tell you all the things you want to hoard are being rerouted to medical facilities and associated and we won't be seeing them for several months. It blows my mind how insane people are, especially now. There was very much almost a fistfight at work today, between the owner, and a guy who was trying to fight him over a warranty claim on a saw that a- wasn't under warranty because he burned up the bar, and b- would have been between him and Stihl anyhow. Also led to one of the funniest things I've seen in forever, but that's not the point. 

People, we need to settle the berkeley down and be cool. No one is enjoying this. Ok I am a little because I have no problem watching YouTube and E36 M3 for days on end. But being a dick is gonna be the fastest way to get the opposite of what you want. In this guy's case I think it was jail. 

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
4/1/20 8:33 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

The entitlement is real and a big problem. Maybe it wouldn't bug me so much but I had a complaint about getting a paper a couple minutes late. This customer is at the very end of my route, waaayyy in the mountains. We had a windstorm and there were several trees down so I drove slow on the highway and a couple more things added up to a whole 3 minutes late. He called and complained.....as I was delivering his paper and could see me.

I know I was late, but berkeley....3 minutes in a storm that knocked out power and 9 trees across the highway. berkeley you too dude

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/1/20 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Yeah, no. I have one advantage- the owners take no E36 M3 and do not expect us to do it either, so enough bullE36 M3 is greeted with a GTFO. It's rare. I probably would have beaned the guy with a paper. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/1/20 9:24 p.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Antihero :

Yeah, no. I have one advantage- the owners take no E36 M3 and do not expect us to do it either, so enough bullE36 M3 is greeted with a GTFO. It's rare. I probably would have beaned the guy with a paper. 

The urge was real, believe me

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/1/20 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

And that, right there, is a definition of stress. I want to dome this berkeley-head with a paper, but I also want to keep my job. 

4/2/20 12:00 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

And that, right there, is a definition of stress. I want to dome this berkeley-head with a paper, but I also want to keep my job. 

I do wonder if I missed an opportunity

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
4/2/20 11:48 a.m.

Automotive LED light wattage ratings.....
So disappointed in standard h3 bulb life, I want to go LED for driving lights. 

LED H3 rated at 100 watts, are they really 100 watts ???  I am assuming this is the equivalent rating, whats the real draw.....

Clicking on specifications, the all say the same thing, are they really 100W ? Thats 8+ amps each..

Pete. (Forum Supporter)
Pete. (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/20 11:52 a.m.

In reply to lrrs :

That would be one hell of a lot of light.  Like Ray Charles would see it from the next county.

Im really struggling with remaining on task at work. Just so easy to turn around and play with cars. My only hippa compliant space is the shop.

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
4/2/20 11:59 a.m.
Antihero said:

And my job isn't really dealing with the public much, I don't know how everyone that works in grocery stores hasn't stabbed multiple people by now.

Well, grocery stores have big freezers so...they probably won't find the bodies for a while. laugh

And seriously, berkeley that guy. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/2/20 12:43 p.m.
Pete. (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to lrrs :

That would be one hell of a lot of light.  Like Ray Charles would see it from the next county.

Way back in the olden days, my Camaro had a pair of Cibie H4 headlamps, and a pair of Bosch H1 high beams, all four with 100 watt halogens.  It was impossible to use them, because I was never far enough away from an oncoming driver to not have them flash me.

Stevie Wonder called from Detroit one day to yell at me...

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/2/20 12:50 p.m.

Forgot to send in a piece of paper for the Oregon Clean Air rebate program and now I can't find it.

So now in the middle of this COVID-19, I have to get a copy of the Vehicle Purchase Agreement sent to me and then forwarded onto the proper department in the State of Oregon before the 18th.

I wouldn't normally be too concerned, except its $2500 and with the wife out of work and all of the unknowns, I certainly am not going to throw that money out.

At least the streets should be relatively clear and I need to drive my car anyway since it has sat for quite a while now.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
4/2/20 12:51 p.m.

Aftermarket LED lights just suck for everyone else on the road.  Please don't.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/20 3:12 p.m.
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) said:
Antihero said:

Well, grocery stores have big freezers so...they probably won't find the bodies for a while. laugh

Meat grinder. Don't ask how we had meat when big stores were cleaned out. As a bonus, complaints were down once we "removed" the problem.

Appleseed said:
Antihero said:

Meat grinder. Don't ask how we had meat when big stores were cleaned out. As a bonus, complaints were down once we "removed" the problem.

Ive always heard that if you go cannibal you go insane. Wonder if that's true now....

And cold calling strangers to spot check assess mental health is tough. Especially when they only speak very broken English. 

driver95 (Forum Supporter)
driver95 (Forum Supporter) New Reader
4/2/20 3:26 p.m.

My minor rant is that some people are calling this the "China Flu". Please call it COVID-19. My wife is southeast Asian, and she fears for both herself and my daughter after the family was stabbed in Texas.

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
4/2/20 3:26 p.m.

"Hi, you've reached so-and-so..."

No, I haven't, which is why I'm getting your voicemail. The most minor of minor rants, but this is a pet peeve of mine. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/2/20 4:28 p.m.
driver95 (Forum Supporter) said:

My minor rant is that some people are calling this the "China Flu". Please call it COVID-19. My wife is southeast Asian, and she fears for both herself and my daughter after the family was stabbed in Texas.

I alternate between Corolla virus and Crayola virus. 

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
4/2/20 4:47 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Pete. (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to lrrs :

Way back in the olden days, my Camaro had a pair of Cibie H4 headlamps, and a pair of Bosch Hi high beams, all four with 100 watt halogens.  It was impossible to use them, because I was never far enough away from an oncoming driver to not have them flash me.

Stevie Wonder called from Detroit one day to yell at me...

When our local SCCA region put together a team to run the Longest Day at Nelsons Ledges in the early 90's we had some rally guys donate some lights.  We had 4 Cibie Oscar long range w/130 watt bulbs on the front of the car.  There was a group of Ford engineers running an SVO Mustang next to us in the pits that said it was nice to follow us through turns because once they passed us it was like being followed by a baseball stadium.

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/2/20 6:27 p.m.

I went to the store yesterday for a few necessities, one of which was cough drops. I had throat surgery a few years back and the cough drops help if I use my voice a lot. I stood and watched as an older lady picked up at least 10 packs held them up close to her face and then put them back on the shelf. Only my strong sense of self preservation kept me from booting her in the ass and probably going to jail.

4/2/20 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael ("that guy" Forum Supporter) :

I believe it attacks your prions somehow, similar to mad cow?

I also probably shouldn't look too closely why I have that info in my brain somewhere

4/2/20 6:34 p.m.
Antihero said:

Seriously, how do you put up with it.

One 75 year asshat made me want to commit newspaper related violence, you guys seem to get that several times an hour

driver95 (Forum Supporter)
driver95 (Forum Supporter) New Reader
4/2/20 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

This made me laugh, thank you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TJNZTMgNCODU2oo3GEGdCXAgHKRQxNnFMu8reWE5vlH0YqQ1IMtNgTQtSvTbqMNl