Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/13/20 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

You know, every time I hear someone say some crap about how you have to take care of family, how blood is thicker than water, etc etc etc, I call bullE36 M3 on that.

Family are just some people you happened to be born near.  FRIENDS are the people you choose and who choose to care about you.

I have family who would drop everything to come help in the middle of the night.  I have family who are useless sponges.

I have friends who would drop everything to come help in the middle of the night... but I sure as hell don't have any friends who are useless sponges.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/13/20 12:37 p.m.

When did a decent screw get so darn expensive?  Granted, I've been out of the market for a while, but I just paid 10 bucks for a one pound box of screws.  Dang.  Seems like more than they're worth. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/13/20 12:46 p.m.

Adulting sucks.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/13/20 12:52 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

When did a decent screw get so darn expensive?  Granted, I've been out of the market for a while, but Ijust paid 10 bucks for a one pound box of screws.  Dang.  Seems like more than they're worth. 

Because they actually work well and are easy to use unlike old wood screws that needed a pilot hole and stripped out the phillips recess half the time?

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
7/13/20 1:40 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

$1 each for 1/4" x 2 3/4" tapcons on Saturday, its getting crazy. 

At least bulk hardware is still cheap at rural king

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/13/20 2:03 p.m.
Duke said:

In reply to Recon1342 :

You know, every time I hear someone say some crap about how you have to take care of family, how blood is thicker than water, etc etc etc, I call bullE36 M3 on that.

Family are just some people you happened to be born near.  FRIENDS are the people you choose and who choose to care about you.

I have family who would drop everything to come help in the middle of the night.  I have family who are useless sponges.

I have friends who would drop everything to come help in the middle of the night... but I sure as hell don't have any friends who are useless sponges.

I agree. After this episode of "Family screws us over", my wife is coming around. I will say this- it was worth it, if only because of my nephews. Won't ever happen again, but I also have a remarkably clear conscience about it. Mainly, I'm out some sweat and a lot of hard work. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
7/13/20 2:36 p.m.

Trying to refinance our mortgage right now is going kind of like this:

Me on phone with bank: "Yes, I'd like to refinance our mortgage.

Bank: "Great! Just fill out our online form and we'll get right back to you!

Me: (fills out very invasive online form) Hey....there are no rates posted anywhere (calls bank back)

Me: "Yes, can you please tell me what your current rates ar......"

Bank: NEW PHONE WHO DIS!

Me: I just filled out your online form to refinance my mortgage, but I need to know...

Bank: Sorry, wrong number! We're a dry cleaners now, we don't do bank stuff here anymore (click)

Okay so maybe the last part is exaggerated, but damned if it isn't a royal PITA to get a bank to tell you their mortgage rates, as well as get anything out of them as to what you need to apply for the loan. Or if you even qualify.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/13/20 3:19 p.m.

In reply to slefain :

Agreed.  They're going to want to look you over first.  The best rate is going to the persons with the best credit.

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
7/13/20 3:31 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

When did a decent screw get so darn expensive?  

wait...What???

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/13/20 4:02 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

My dog died. I loved that dog more than most people. He got sick on the anniversary of my mom's death and we couldnt save him.

I know he was 14, I know that he had a medical problem we couldn't figure out but goddamit does it hurt.

RIP Jack The Pooper, the best dog ever and pretty much a Canine Sapien. The world is worse without you

I can empathize. I had to put my dog down at the end of last year. It still hurts. It hurts because I couldn't tell her I didn't want to do it, it was just the least worst thing to do. I only had her for a bit over a decade but man, she was my fart. Just followed me everywhere and stared at me. The worst part was that her mind was there until the last seconds, her body just stopped working correctly. I'm sorry for your loss.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/13/20 5:04 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry to hear that. We lost our dog on Memorial Day. Still tear up just thinking about her.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/13/20 6:39 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

When did a decent screw get so darn expensive?  Granted, I've been out of the market for a while, but I just paid 10 bucks for...

You know...taken out of context...wink

Chesterfield
Chesterfield Reader
7/13/20 9:37 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I was shocked by how much they had went up in price when I built my deck. I admit I had not really bought any in a while, but man multiple pounds of good deck screws were quite expensive.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) UberDork
7/14/20 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That sucks... hard. And I completely sympathize- most days I don't want to deal with any people besides my wife and our dog.

Ashyukun (Robert)
7/14/20 12:52 p.m.

Had a somewhat surprisingly good weekend visit by the in-laws. Somehow other than some bizarre conspiracy theory talk the first night and a short discussion that I apparently missed out on because I was out getting food politics was avoided which meant no huge fights, and thankfully the MIL has apparently (finally) decided harassing the wife about having kids wasn't productive. Unfortunately the weekend- and specifically the very late nights- highlighted the fact that the Dancer and I are definitely getting old. The last night there we stayed up until like 3:30am playing Catan (which is another rant- at least now I understand a bit of where the Dancer's attitude regarding winning comes from...) and we were just WIPED the following day. 

Unfortunately in getting back to real life the Dancer is really stressing out about things for the show we're supposed to have in mid-August (was supposed to be last weekend, but then Covid...). The insurance rep can't seem to get things right in changing the coverage we have for the new (outdoor) venue, rehearsals are tricky because of trying to keep things socially distanced, and she lives in the perpetual worry that things will take a steep downturn and the state will be shut back down and the show will get canceled (again) because of not being able to have that many people in one place. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/14/20 1:03 p.m.

USPS strikes again... yet another package has disappeared into the "In Transit" Bermuda Triangle of postal delivery.  And another vendor I deal with regularly has gone to the stupid UPS->USPS delivery scheme that achieves nothing but adding 2-3 days to delivery times.

Result is planned projects for this weekend aren't getting done.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/14/20 3:30 p.m.

Man, the knee-jerk reposters are out in force today.

Cheese-and-rice, people, it takes about 15 seconds to google something and see if it's real before you go to full thrusters spreading the idiocy.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/14/20 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Some people have special googles that give them the answer they want, not the answer they're looking for.

Ashyukun (Robert)
7/14/20 4:15 p.m.

Sheesh. So, I posted a couple times a few months ago in the lead-up to and follow-up to having to get my first colonoscopy- now 2 months later I'm dealing with the 2nd round of things getting stuffed where they shouldn't: dealing with the bills from it.

Even after our insurance adjustment (noting that we've not hit our deductible), it will end up costing over $3000. Over $3000 for something that involved my being at the hospital for like 3 hours max, did not involve any cutting or stitches, no blood, and is generally a simple, routine procedure. Out of curiosity, since the Mexican-born owner of the studio the Dancer teaches at had recommended it when my Achilles snapped, I checked up on what the average cost of a colonoscopy was in Mexico. Doing some further checking, I found that we could have flown down to Mexico, stayed a week in a nice hotel with a rental car, had the procedure, and flown back for roughly $1000 less than just the procedure cost here.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/14/20 8:25 p.m.

Mom is in the hospital had a heart attack no damage that they could see it was very mild. Had two stents put in to be safe. She is out of it. 

Payed my federal taxes today, finally got the number I owe. berkeley that was a lot of money. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/14/20 8:26 p.m.

#1 is getting a little battery powered motorbike for his upcoming birthday. I bought a used one because I'm cheap. We paid $75, which is reasonable but maybe too much for such a young kid? Anyway, it is what it is. Only today we went to get him a real helmet, and I kinda figured, but it cost more than the bike! 

Kids is expensive. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/14/20 8:54 p.m.

Kid was crying/wailing for 2 straight hours. Figured it was gas, so I sent SWMBO to go get sensitive baby formula. Tried everything. Up, down, bounce, belly, rocking, burping. Nope. Completely J-75 on full afterburner.  Holy E36 M3. Even though he just pounded 3oz. right before I came home, out of desperation, I mixed up a 1 oncer. No way this works. I just wasted formula. 

Nope. He was hungry. Super hungry.  This whole goddamn time he was hungry. 2 hours of screaming. berkeley, I feel horrible. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/14/20 8:54 p.m.
Duke said:

More people should understand this.  We were allowed ten people in the funeral and a lot of family bitched that they were left out and Jodi’s best friend was invited in.  She and her husband have done so much for us that there's no way I was excluding her. Some of these other geniuses I haven't seen in years.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
7/14/20 9:00 p.m.
barefootskater said:

Kids is expensive. 

Sports, music, school, driving, 17-3/4 year old popular girl.....it only gets better.  Then college. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/14/20 9:16 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Kid was crying/wailing for 2 straight hours. Figured it was gas, so I sent SWMBO to go get sensitive baby formula. Tried everything. Up, down, bounce, belly, rocking, burping. Nope. Completely J-75 on full afterburner.  Holy E36 M3. Even though he just punded 3oz. right before I came home, out of desperation, I mixed up a 1 oncer. No way this works. I just wasted formula. 

Nope. He was hungery. Super hungry.  This whole goddamn time he was hungry. 2 hours of screaming. berkeley, I feel horrible. 

I'll tell you something I learned about infants- you're never going to be right 100% of the time, and you're going to make what you believe To be some horrifying mistakes. Good news is, while fragile, babies are pretty resilient, and they forget easily. Give yourself a break man, it'll be ok. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X5Mrw3OgV7c8nui24Lv32foIQFPLd0InrfJpBlzKGbMROPlqD4dzQtRiG1HP4m6T