Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/24/20 1:43 p.m.

My thumb is very angry today...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/24/20 1:49 p.m.

I tell stories. I joke. I even help people. But I had a moment today where I was standing at the paint counter and thought to myself " is this really what the berkeley I've been doing with my life for TWO YEARS?!". like absolute brain crisis moment. Seriously just about got in my car and left. I need to get my E36 M3 together. This was supposed to be a stop gap, not a career choice. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/24/20 1:59 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Still waiting for brain-swab test results to come back so I can know if I can sign up for the rallycross.

Or, y'know, go back to work.

Good luck!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/24/20 2:12 p.m.

A meme was just posted on an FB group that I follow, basically stating that anything not being effectively used by its current owner should be taken away from that entity and given to someone else who is in need.

The moderator asked for "friendly, reasonable debate" on the topic.

There is no such thing as "friendly, reasonable debate" on that topic. 

99% of the responses were along the lines of "What could there possibly be to debate about this?"

And, with that, I am no longer a member of that group, which was purportedly founded on intellectual reason.

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
9/24/20 2:57 p.m.

In a bizarre turn of events, I think my last android update broke the forum.

Since I went to android 11 yesterday, anytime I try to go to latest topics it feeds me an offline copy of the page. 

Everything else is fine, but this is a rather annoying update.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/24/20 3:22 p.m.

My father in law gives me a sob story about needing money. I get him a once a week grass mowing job with a client I have. He is very appreciative.

Father in law then proceeded to utterly berkeley up this job and never do it on time. Father in law gets E36 M3canned.

Father in law is again complaining about lack of money.

berkeley off, father in law

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/24/20 6:59 p.m.

Test just came back negative.  Now I have about three hours to prep for the rallycross, with a car I have barely driven since the last one and is covered with tree sap, have to find my gear, my camera, hope my trailer tires aren't flat, etc....

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
9/24/20 7:07 p.m.

I had to repair the feed to the electric fence in one of our paddocks Tuesday evening. Apparently there was some poison ivy in the vicinity of the repair. It's also apparent that I had to scratch my eyes and face while doing the repair. It's also quite obvious that I needed to pee before I washed my hands. I guess I could start a thread about how to treat a poison ivy rash on your hootus but I likely won't.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 7:34 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Test just came back negative.  Now I have about three hours to prep for the rallycross, with a car I have barely driven since the last one and is covered with tree sap, have to find my gear, my camera, hope my trailer tires aren't flat, etc....

Well if you had been prepared the test might have been positive, can't risk that. 

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/24/20 7:40 p.m.

I got home from work at 8pm and decided to try and limp the condenser fan motor in my house A/C along until a tech can come out tomorrow.

The motor is very weathered and the shaft was very loose (heyyyy). The bearings are obviously worn. I shot some WD40 into the front bearing and worked it around. I did this 2 more times.

I set the fan assembly back on top, reinstalled the outside breaker and set the thermostat for 72°.

No noise yet! The house was at 85° when I got home. Hopefully this works until tomorrow afternoon when the tech can replace the worn motor.

Thanks Toyman!

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/24/20 7:44 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Thank you for being a responsible human and waiting for the test results to come back before you left. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/24/20 8:18 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I was on the 5 year college plan.  I worked at Kmart in many departments from high school til I got a full-time job (1980-1985).

It was the paint department I learned how to toss a rubber mallet into the air and catch it by the end of the handle so I could hammer down the paint lid.  Many housewives were impressed.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/24/20 8:56 p.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Well if you had been prepared the test might have been positive, can't risk that. 

That's logic I can get behind!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/24/20 8:58 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Thank you for being a responsible human and waiting for the test results to come back before you left. 

Oh, I'm not LEAVING any time soon.  I have to go to work tomorrow.  Event's on Saturday.  But having to work cuts deeply into prep time.

I could have done all that stuff this week when I was off work, but.... My car and half my gear ARE AT WORK.  So I couldn't touch it.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/24/20 9:53 p.m.

I don;t do mornings.  It's not that I can't get up and function, but it is that my intestines are very grumpy when I first get up.  My father is a Morning person, he gets up before 5am every day.  He stopped driving this year so I take him to his doctor's appointments.  He lives half an hour away and his eye doctor is around the corner from me.  What does he do? He makes the appointment for 8am.  So I have to get up really early to force the issue with my intestines, go get him, bring him back, take him back to his house and then come home without my intestines finding an inopportune time to vent their spleen

svxsti
svxsti Reader
9/24/20 10:38 p.m.

What happened to all the smart people that use to post?

Torkel
Torkel Reader
9/25/20 8:02 a.m.

I have an uncomfortable feeling that I'm missing something. As if I'm the naive guy that doesn't realize I'm being taken advantage of. 

I have a couple of colleagues that I truly respect. Intelligent, polite, professional people that I value and that I like to work with. It is always "we" who cleans up the mess. By "we" I mean a small group of Line Managers, Development Engineers, Production Engineers and myself (I'm the most senior project manager). We sometimes do the work of other departments too. And yes, "We" occasionally receiving praise and recognition, but... the E36 M3 never changes. The same people keep doing a poor job, can't be bothered to communicate decisions and changes, misses dates and screws up... and "we" eventually sort out the E36 M3. 

I can't shake the feeling that "they" are just smarter than us. At first glance, it looks as if "we" are saving the company and "they" look bad. But there are never ever any actual negative repercussions for "them". So... who's the dumbass, really?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/25/20 8:07 a.m.
Torkel said:

I have an uncomfortable feeling that I'm missing something. As if I'm the naive guy that doesn't realize I'm being taken advantage of. 

I have a couple of colleagues that I truly respect. Intelligent, polite, professional people that I value and that I like to work with. It is always "we" who cleans up the mess. By "we" I mean a small group of Line Managers, Development Engineers, Production Engineers and myself (I'm the most senior project manager). We sometimes do the work of other departments too. And yes, "We" occasionally receiving praise and recognition, but... the E36 M3 never changes. The same people keep doing a poor job, can't be bothered to communicate decisions and changes, misses dates and screws up... and "we" eventually sort out the E36 M3. 

I can't shake the feeling that "they" are just smarter than us. At first glance, it looks as if "we" are saving the company and "they" look bad. But there are never ever any actual negative repercussions for "them". So... who's the dumbass, really?

Welcome to the corporate business world.  You start to wonder who they have compromising pictures of, and just how compromising.

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/25/20 8:19 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

I don;t do mornings.  It's not that I can't get up and function, but it is that my intestines are very grumpy when I first get up.  My father is a Morning person, he gets up before 5am every day.  He stopped driving this year so I take him to his doctor's appointments.  He lives half an hour away and his eye doctor is around the corner from me.  What does he do? He makes the appointment for 8am.  So I have to get up really early to force the issue with my intestines, go get him, bring him back, take him back to his house and then come home without my intestines finding an inopportune time to vent their spleen

An update:  Drove all the way out there, only to discover that the appointment had been on monday and he had written it down wrong and we missed it. They also never bothered to call or text me to let us know.  

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/25/20 8:28 a.m.
Torkel said:

This is "The Peter Principle." They are at their maximum accepted level.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/25/20 8:40 a.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:
Torkel said:

According to the Peter Principle, they are actually 1 level above their maximum accepted level.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
9/25/20 10:14 a.m.
Duke said:
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:
Torkel said:

According to the Peter Principle, they are actually 1 level above their maximum accepted level.

Otherwise known as the "Dilbert Principle" IIRC

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/25/20 10:23 a.m.
Duke said:

If there are no repercussions, they are accepted at their current level.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/25/20 11:30 a.m.

"_____ by wire" has, I think, a very simple definition: There is no physical connection between the brake pedal and the brakes; the pedal tells the computer how much braking the driver wants, and the computer operates the brakes based on what it knows about that input and the rest of the scenario.

Which is why I nearly spit out my coffee (Sacrilege! Waste! Coffee! Help, my coffee!) when a certain major magazine posted an article about how GM issued a stop-sales order over potential "brake by wire" issues in the C8.

After reading it, it's clear that what's electronic in this system is how much assist to give the perfectly normal hydraulic brake system.

That is not "brake by wire," and every article that plays fast and loose with that terminology makes another chunk of the population unclear on what anything means.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/25/20 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

It can be a matter of degree.  AFAIK there are no true brake by wire systems, there is always a way for hydraulic pressure to manually reach at least two calipers.  But at the same time, if the brake sustem isolates the pedal from the hydraulics and purely uses computer generated pressure to the calipers... That is functionally brake by wire.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3t1t46mw32OUpgImo2HeTKKRH3XQUJcUDq32AtyB5M1FORh7hmQWuBP3lGWvncy4