Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/17/21 9:06 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Could have been worse 

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/21 1:06 a.m.

Gotta love mild heart attack symptoms after weeks of stress and a change in insurance provider.

I love my wife and kids, I want as much time as possible with them.   That said, there's a part of me that just wants it over quick.

Depression is a bitch.  I hate this feeling and this situation.

I'll set up and appointment with a new doc as soon as I can.  Hopefully he can help me feel better or refer me to someone who can.  

All thanks to the new insurance that took a month to kick in and now I get to find new docs for me and the rest of the family.

My 2 soon to be 3 yearly old so won't sleep i his bed, so that's an issue.  My newly 5-year old daughter is happily sleeping in her own bed, in his room, while my MIL is visiting.  She's awesome.  My son is struggling with the recent changes.  Poor kiddo.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/21 7:10 a.m.

I woke up in a kitten kicking foul mood. The kinda headspace where you want to watch it all burn. 

And i don't know why. Trying to change it, but not having much success yet  

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
6/18/21 7:48 a.m.

More of a whine than a rant.  We had a job set up for tomorrow that involved a crane set up on a major city street.  Lots of meetings/ coordination, etc.   City permit application went in 2 weeks ago came back denied 45 minutes ago with no explanation.  Good times. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/18/21 9:14 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Yay bureaucracy.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/18/21 9:51 a.m.

My 75 year old dad fell while running in a park and broke his nose and pinky on Thursday.  My father FIL went into the hospital Thursday night and is likely to need gallbladder bladder surgery, he is 79.  None is of it is very serious by Fathers Day is going to suck.

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
6/18/21 9:56 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

I'm making chili and just rubbed my eyes without having washed my hands first.

Ow. Dammit.

Sorry man. That sounds like something I would do. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/18/21 11:47 a.m.

So after 20 years of not having an office I got one, to much management stuff I need to do with a door closed. Been great for the last couple months. Now I have no office again because "reasons", IE they hired a bunch more middle management and they can work from home or the office and they are going to turn mine into a swing office. 

berkeley. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
6/18/21 12:34 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

I work at a giant tech firm. My biggest complaint is that they moved us from 8'x8'x6' cubes to SHARED 12'x6'x4' cubes with the top foot being frosted glass. Try having a private conversation in that situation. For that matter try concentrating in that situation. WFH has been a lifesaver for me and I'm not looking forward to going back to the office.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/18/21 12:46 p.m.
CAinCA said:

I work at a giant tech firm. My biggest complaint is that they moved us from 8'x8'x6' cubes to SHARED 12'x6'x4' cubes with the top foot being frosted glass. Try having a private conversation in that situation. For that matter try concentrating in that situation. WFH has been a lifesaver for me and I'm not looking forward to going back to the office.

It kills me as I have between 25-40 unique conversations a day with just about everybody from department head VP's down to the shipping department. Now I am management and I am sitting out with the professional guys and yeah they are going to think they are planting me and a few others they did out there to keep an eye on people. We are not doing that but it sucks people are much more relaxed and honest with a door. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/18/21 12:50 p.m.
CAinCA said:

My dad goes on and on and on about how working from the office is beneficial and blah blah blah. It just made sense. He had an office for at least the last 30 years of his career. For the last 6 months of his career - possibly the same company that wearymicrobe is talking about - he was moved into an open work space. He had already planned his exit date and everything by then, and working 2 days a week from home. I guarantee that if he had to do that for more than a year, he'd be out of there so fast... Cube farms suck.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/18/21 12:53 p.m.

Every time I read about your workplace, I am amazed you haven't retired yet.  I understand your work is very important, but dang.

My minor rant - For the almost four years I have owned my Miata, the horn has not worked.  Every time I started investigating it, I ended up getting distracted with something else.  Finally had the motivation and time to look at it today.  The harness that connects to the clockspring is damaged and one wire is cut from it.  Turns out that's the wire that has to be grounded to get the horn relay to trip.  Ran a test lead, and the horn works fine.  Check for the connector on the clockspring.  There's no clockspring there, and the spare I have, I think is damaged.  Think I'm running out to the parts store today to grab a cheap horn button, and I'll just mount it to the center stack.  Goodness knows there have been multiple times in the last few years a horn would have been useful.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/18/21 1:11 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I have a brand-new Mazda clockspring for a '90 (Not sure how much they changed over production) that I'd sell you

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/18/21 1:35 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to eastsideTim :

I have a brand-new Mazda clockspring for a '90 (Not sure how much they changed over production) that I'd sell you

Thank you, but I'll probably pass.  The ratty Miata might start looking too good if I fix it correctly smiley.  Not to mention, I'd still need to repair the body harness, too.

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
6/18/21 3:36 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:
CAinCA said:

It kills me as I have between 25-40 unique conversations a day with just about everybody from department head VP's down to the shipping department. Now I am management and I am sitting out with the professional guys and yeah they are going to think they are planting me and a few others they did out there to keep an eye on people. We are not doing that but it sucks people are much more relaxed and honest with a door. 

I just promoted into management myself. We're WFH for the foreseeable future, but we've been told that sooner or later we will have to spend a few hours a day a few days a week in the office. For me that means 10-3 TWT every week. I'll try to avaoid the commute hours at all costs.

Everyone from the CEO down works in an open office environment. We do have phone booth type rooms on every floor so you can have a private conversation. It works but I'd prefer an office with a door or WFH. The pay, benefits, and work/life balance are all really good so it's hard to complain.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
6/18/21 6:02 p.m.

Well, poop. 
We were planning to go up to my sisters place in ID to visit and see my new nephew this weekend. I got off work an hour early and rushed home. We get everything packed up, I jump through the shower and we're about to load the kids in the van. Sis calls. Her 2yo just woke from a nap running a bit of a fever and throwing up. Trip cancelled. My 4yo is super bummed. He's been looking forward to the trip all week. I'm bummed. Wife is bummed. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/18/21 6:11 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Every time I read about your workplace, I am amazed you haven't retired yet.  I understand your work is very important, but dang.

The work is monster important, the stress is real , the people required to make this sort of thing happen are unique. ( I fall into that category as well trust me) There was a point where someone calculated just the number of children with saved vision just with some now simple GMO tech that I worked on developing back in the late 90's. I am not kidding I forgot that I did it for a while until it showed up in the news again on vitamin deficiencies in the 3rd world. Would make a lot more money automating widget production that is for sure but not as much brain power required. I have personally screened and found/helped with more drugs in the last 10 years many people will even see a glimpse of in their entire lives in the lab. I have been blessed got to put back that energy into the world for a better place. 

I have this on my wall in full scale to remind me just how much more work there is to do. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/19/21 8:38 a.m.

Brain hurts and I don't know if it's from internal or external causes.

Was reading an article about dampers.  Article said that having too stiff of a rebound would slow down weight transfer.

NO.  No?  I think probably no.  Stiffer dampers will speed up weight transfer, but they will slow down how long the chassis takes to find a "set".

Article goes on to say that in extreme cases, too stiff will cause you to lift a tire.  That means I am right, lifting a tire is 100% weight transfer.

Body roll is not weight transfer, body roll is body roll. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
6/19/21 2:54 p.m.

The Boy-Spawn chugged a bunch of water and then threw up all over the kitchen. A good part of the vomit managed to land on a cat.

Have you ever dealt with an angry cat covered in human vomit? I'll leave it to your imagination, but it's not a good time.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

It's about time the tables turned.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
6/20/21 10:34 a.m.

Since my dad is still recovering from pneumonia, I mowed the back yard for him. It's about a half acre of mostly level grass. It took me about 1.5 hours to cut and bag it with his Husqvarna rider. Since I'm a pasty white dude, I wore a big, floppy fishing hat which saved my face and neck.

You know what burned? My berkeleying kneecaps sad

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/20/21 10:45 a.m.

Sold an engine today, so it's out of my garage, and I have a bit more working space.  However, I hit my head on the engine hoist hard after we finished loading it in the buyer's truck.  Blood pouring down my face, hurt like hell, and caused my teeth and jaw to hurt.  Went through the checks, and it looks like no concussion, though I am waiting to see if the tylenol does it's job.  Guess I need to play it safe and try to relax inside today instead of doing anything else in the garage.  Also, it's hard to type one-handed while holding an ice pack to your head.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
6/21/21 12:48 a.m.

My uncle isn't doing very good. He's been under sedation since he was admitted to the ICU last Tuesday because they had to insert a breathing tube.

Today at a family BBQ, I had a chance to talk to my aunt (his sister). She has been visiting him in the hospital and talking with the physicians. She said that the neurosurgeon stated that he has 3 separate brain bleeds and that the latest stroke caused paralysis on his left side. He right side was paralyzed from a stroke last year. They are going to try removing the breathing tube this week. His cranial fluid pressure has gone down to near normal levels. If he can breathe on his own after the tube is removed, they will try and bring him out of sedation. The family will have to decide what to do if he can't breathe on his own after the tube is removed.

I spoke to my other aunt and her boyfriend who's house we were at today. My uncle's prized 1994 Z28 Camaro is being stored at my aunt's boyfriend's house. It hasn't been driven in a few years as my uncle was not able to even walk to the car, let alone drive it. The car only has 36k miles on it. I'd like to clean it up and get it running to honor my uncle. He was so excited to order it in 1994. He took me to the local Chevy dealership when he ordered it and picked it up. He also took me on a 2 hour long joy ride the day it was delivered. It was the coolest thing to 13 year old me. He let me drive it a few times when I turned 16 in 1997.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/21/21 1:09 a.m.

Sorry things aren't going well with your uncle, man.  Good luck with the f-body.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
6/21/21 9:13 a.m.

Asked wife for a fit bit watch for Father's Day. Received fit bit watch for Father's Day with a threat that I better use it all day every day or she'd be pissed. Never mind. I don't want it. Send it back.

Put me in a bad mood most of the day yesterday. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bj6LQIzUCoSUdpW9iL9853osdH0g1XWdfXWkyzNkhhLFy3I18zl11UT9LSfa5WOR