NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/21/21 9:27 a.m.

I'm so berkeleying tired of being alone.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
6/21/21 12:45 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Why is it always like this?

That reminds me, meant to post this here a week or so ago... I can one-up that. Message I received from someone about a set of wheels I have for sale...

There are some days when I have to come to the conclusion that Ivo Shandor wasn't wholly wrong about the state of the human race...

hunter47
hunter47 New Reader
6/21/21 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

My favorite is when they ask "will this fit my xxxx yyyy?" 

I don't know, fool. Go look it up.

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/21/21 2:14 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

That's annoying... but at leat the answer isn't literally staring them in the face as they ask the question...

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
6/21/21 3:16 p.m.
hunter47 said:

I've started sending them a link.  You're all welcome: https://letmegooglethat.com/

Finished link you send to them: https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=FC+RX7+bolt+pattern

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
6/21/21 3:47 p.m.
hunter47 said:

I get this whether I'm listing a drop in bed liner with the specifics listed in the ad WITH a pic of the label or brake parts with the part number listed in the ad AND in the pictures.

I just ignore those as I'm not doing any research on your behalf. If you buy it and it doesn't fit, that's YOUR problem.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/21/21 5:57 p.m.

I don't mind when my wife cleans up and moves my stuff.

I don't mind when my wife reorganizes an entire set of shelves to better fit a look she wants.

I don't mind when I can't find a part because it was sitting in a place that my wife cleaned up.

But y'know what drives me bonkers?  When I'm looking for the part, it was where she has cleaned, and when I show her what it looks like she says "I dunno, never seen it before."

How the hell do you clean stuff without looking at it?  You just throw stuff in boxes till its full and then you move on?

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
6/21/21 6:29 p.m.
NickD said:

I recall talking with my mom quite a few years ago about loneliness.  Her comment to me was "it is a lot better that misery".  She was rather frustrated with dad and had been for many many years.  She married him because he was decent guy but it was a way to get out of her parent's house.  Loneliness is tough but don't jump into any realtionship too quickly.  You can fix loneliness a few different ways and can be a lot easier than fixing a bad relationship.

Furious_E (Forum Supporter)
Furious_E (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/21/21 7:46 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

I see I've come to the right place...

I've got a pair of RPF1s for sale on Marketplace right now. That's a PAIR, two wheels, 2, not 4, two wheels, as the ad states no less than three times because I was anticipating the onslaught of dip E36 M3s who lack the necessary reading comprehension to suss that level of detail out of a three sentence ad.

Guy was suppossed to come pick them up at 730 this evening. 20 minutes after the agreed meeting time: "Is only two wheels"

(facepalm)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/21 9:10 p.m.

Flight for a destination wedding (in a global pandemic, good thinking!), I don't want to go but want to be at the wedding. 

It is in a pretty tight timetable for me anyway, and the best flight times are.... Spirit. By quite a bit, it is the best flight times for me. Great. berkeley. I said in 2015, I'm never flying Spirit again. I really don't want to go back on my word ever, but especially THAT word.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/21/21 11:27 p.m.
hunter47 said:

The answer is always yes. Lessons can be taught from the liberation of funds and the amassing of wheels that don't fit a given hooptie. Their ignorance is not your problem.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/21/21 11:51 p.m.
Flynlow (FS) said:
hunter47 said:

I've started sending them a link.  You're all welcome: https://letmegooglethat.com/

Finished link you send to them: https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=FC+RX7+bolt+pattern

...which is a bad example because FC have two bolt patterns, the good one and five lug.  wink

When I sold my Sentra, it said "automatic" in the subject, text, and the interior pics clearly showed an automatic shifter and pedals.

Guess what ten responses in the first 24 hours asked...

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/22/21 1:58 a.m.

The sudden realization that I *could* be more productive at night while everyone sleeps is nice and all, except that the garage/shop is attached to the house.  So that means no power tools or other noises.

So I shuffled things around a bit and made a noticeable improvement for the time being.  Not sure what I can do to solve the noise problem without moving and that just kinda sucks.

The hour it took to put my 2-year old to bed meant I had time to day dream some possible storage solutions for various things that are taking up critical space in the garage.

So, this weekend it is supposed to hit 100+ degrees F and that's pretty unheard of in Portland, let alone this early in summer.  Our AC can only deal with about a 20 degree difference, so we may end up sleeping downstairs where it's cooler.

Ultimately, what a mess we've created for ourselves as human beings.  Let's hope we can stop before things get worse.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
6/22/21 8:13 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Flynlow (FS) said:
hunter47 said:

...which is a bad example because FC have two bolt patterns, the good one and five lug.  wink

When I sold my Sentra, it said "automatic" in the subject, text, and the interior pics clearly showed an automatic shifter and pedals.

Guess what ten responses in the first 24 hours asked...

Had the same but opposite with the Ranger. Add title said "5 speed".

this was the first picture in the ad.

Still had people showing up bitching they drove an hour to get there and didn't know how to drive stick.

They got really upset when I asked for money for my time they wasted.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
6/22/21 8:55 a.m.

And there's a puddle in the passenger foot well of Canyonero. I guess all the caulking around the windshield serves(served) a purpose. berkeleying hell.

Ashyukun (Robert)
6/22/21 9:49 a.m.

And so it begins... our roof is being replaced today, and my office is on the top floor of our house- we'll be finding out just how good the batteries in my noise-cancelling headphones are...

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/22/21 10:38 a.m.

Me (points to sink full of dishes): "Kids, load the dishwasher please."

Kids (a suspiciously short amount of time later): "Done, it's running now."

Me opening the dishwasher three hours later while wondering how we still have a sink full of dirty dishes:

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/22/21 1:09 p.m.
Scott_H said:
NickD said:

I recall talking with my mom quite a few years ago about loneliness.  Her comment to me was "it is a lot better that misery".  She was rather frustrated with dad and had been for many many years.  She married him because he was decent guy but it was a way to get out of her parent's house.  Loneliness is tough but don't jump into any realtionship too quickly.  You can fix loneliness a few different ways and can be a lot easier than fixing a bad relationship.

I've been single for 2.5 years and have gone on two dates in that time span. Before that I was in a relationship for a year, and then before that I was single for 7 years. No one rarely gives me a second glance, and when they do, its even rarer to get more than monosyllabic conversation out of them for a day before they vanish, so I'm not exactly jumping into anything. And now, as I am within striking distance of 30, I've learned that like 90% of the single people in my area in my age range already have kids, and I absolutely despise children.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
6/22/21 2:00 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I feel this. I just turned 40 last month but have not been in a relationship for 7.5 years. You think dating in your late 20s is hard? All the women in my dating pool either have 8 kids by 4 different fathers or have a double masters, fly to Bali every other weekend, and I'm about as noticable as background radiation. I don't mind kids as I have 2 with my ex-SWMBO but they are older. Most women I have talked to have at least one that is still a toddler. I lived that with my own kids and don't want to go back to that stage. If they are older, then they have a career and tend to be more "professional" which means they probably don't have the same hobbies I have. And then E36 M3 like this happens:

I dated this woman for over a month and she just sprung this on me. I thought since she was my age, this juvenile E36 M3 would not happen. I was wrong sad.

But, I started talking to another woman who is a few years younger than me. She doesn't have any kids and is very intelligent. We have different life views but we have a lot in common. As soon as I get back to Florida, I'm going to take her out on a date because I don't want her to get away.

I've been feeling about as hopeless as possible with finding someone after over 7 years alone. And I do mean completely alone. Interaction with women, however brief, gives me a glimmer of hope that I'm not as hopeless as I think I am.

Keep the faith brother. Someone will enter your life that you didn't see coming. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/22/21 2:18 p.m.
NickD said:
Scott_H said:
NickD said:

I've been single for 2.5 years and have gone on two dates in that time span. Before that I was in a relationship for a year, and then before that I was single for 7 years. No one rarely gives me a second glance, and when they do, its even rarer to get more than monosyllabic conversation out of them for a day before they vanish, so I'm not exactly jumping into anything. And now, as I am within striking distance of 30, I've learned that like 90% of the single people in my area in my age range already have kids, and I absolutely despise children.

They are out there, keep looking.

I don't want kids either and don't like them at all either.

When I started dating my now wife she said she didn't want to" host a parasite " (exact words), so there are wonen out there that don't have or want kids

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/22/21 2:27 p.m.

In reply to stanger_mussle :

Seems like every other person I see on dating apps now too is poly. Which is a big no for me. Hey, if that works for them, fine, whatever, but not something I am remotely interested in.

I know part of it right now is I'm just kind of bitter and pissed off. A couple months ago I started talking to one gal who was really funny and capable of holding a conversation. Was literally just getting ready to ask her out on a date in the next day or two and in the middle of a conversation I just got a text that said "Sorry" and never heard from her again. Then started talking with another really cool lady and we been talking for a month or two and had talked about meeting up, she had actually brought it up, and she was just trying to figure out how to fit it in her work schedule. And then all of a sudden, nothing, no response.

6/22/21 2:43 p.m.

My rant is my friend and housing.

Our area is insane for housing right now. There is not one rental available in 25 miles of our area. There's 5 houses for sale but most are way way outside my friends price range. But......there is one that is.

My friend is being kicked out if his long term rental because the owner wants to sell. I don't blame him, houses that went for 75k are selling for 250k in hours now. The market is beyond hot. The reason why my friend is being kicked out is because the landlord needs to have a long term caregiver for his wife now and there is nothing that can be rented within hours of their house. The idea is the caregiver will buy the house and take care of his wife.

I have found him now 4 houses to look at, they'd prefer to buy even though the market is stupid, and they gave continued to wait to look at them until the sold. I'm not joking, houses are selling the day they are on the market now. One was pretty much perfect for him and his slightly weird wants in a house. I drove him there during lunch ( we work together). The owner was standing in the yard and was interested in owner financing it, which is probably best because my friends credit is pretty much non existent and his GF isn't spectacular. My friend has lived in this town his whole life and was a local football legend, everyone knows him. So what did he do with this house? Took a picture of the for sale sign, brushed off the owner and got back in the car. Told me he needed to discuss the house with his GF before he could look at it. House sold in 2 days and they never looked at it. It's been 3 weeks but finally something came on the market again.

The house isn't great, it's an older manufactured home thats been well taken care of and even well remodeled. It's within walking distance to his favorite spots, which is #1 on their wants, it's in their price range, it's big enough for his needs and......he hasn't looked at it. It's more than I would pay but it's pretty much their only option at the moment.

But....his current plan is to stay at the rental and not leave until he's extracted by the cops. Literally. Someone gave him the advice that he has at least 90 days to get out and maybe as much as 6 months because of COVID. Afaik 30 days is Idaho law and I'm not sure about the COVID part. He also thinks that he can offer the owner a better deal but get threw out a half assed idea and.....the owner didn't care. He seems to think that another $1k will make the owner jump at it.

His current house is terrible, it has bunches of problems including the fact that it lacks a foundation. I'm pretty sure no mortgage company will touch it as is, so it's basically cash or owner finance but he won't have a serious talk with the owner until " he gets his ducks in a row". Dude, your ducks are on fire and going in every direction, move onto another option.

It's incredibly frustrating because I can see how this can end terrible for him and I can't get him to see it

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
6/22/21 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

I'm assuming you already aren't planning to, but please don't let him crash at your place.  If he's planning on trying to stay until he gets evicted by the cops, he'll do the same to you.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/22/21 2:49 p.m.

Not your circus, not your monkey.  And when he hits the streets, he will ask to stay with you.

Start practicing saying "No" now.

6/22/21 3:09 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I'm assuming you already aren't planning to, but please don't let him crash at your place.  If he's planning on trying to stay until he gets evicted by the cops, he'll do the same to you.

I'm not planning on him crashing here and even if I did he wouldn't want to. I live waaaayyyyy out in the country and he has family in town that would help him if need be. I've known him for over 2 decades and he's more like family than a friend which is why this annoys me so much.

You know that instinct to jump when you have the chance? He doesn't have that, he constantly waits too long for any opportunities to happen.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Is9Yw62D5TVvcsg1F7Tyo80bDt84hvsiI0w8ML7FhRpE4x5mIDCb3HO1Fkk5jraJ