matthewmcl
matthewmcl HalfDork
9/16/21 11:59 a.m.

The local college has a few app pay parking meters in a cell phone dead zone. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/21 12:16 p.m.

I just love when complete strangers make mistaken (but unshakable) assumptions about you when you question their premise, and then call you a child for refusing to engage with them further.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/16/21 12:33 p.m.
matthewmcl said:

The local college has a few app pay parking meters in a cell phone dead zone. 

Thanks for starting my morning with a laugh!
SO MUCH absurdity there, College area, expectations of intelligence, big FAIL, and no doubt big revenue for the authoritah in charge.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/16/21 12:51 p.m.

I love it when you know you're 100% correct and the person you are "respectfully debating" with continues to dig themselves in a hole by making claims that can only be backed by hubris. 

That was a hard lesson for me, lol

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/21 1:23 p.m.

In reply to hunter47 :

My discussion was more of a philosophical one.

Person A made a statement.

I comprehensively disagreed with one of the premises in that statement.

Person B asked what I was afraid of, that made me disagree with the original premise.

I comprehensively disagreed that disapproving of the original premise required me to be afraid of something.

Person B stuck with their premise that all disagreement stems from fear.

I stuck with my argument that I was not afraid, and that disagreement does not always stem from fear.

Person B accused me of refusing to have an adult conversation, because I refused to accept their assumptions.  When in reality, there was simply no point, because they were not going to "converse", they were going to keep telling me that I had to be afraid of something if I disagreed.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
9/16/21 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Oh mine wasn't even in reference to yours, it was a completely separate event that happened. I didn't even see your post until after I made mine. 

But I also dislike your situation.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/16/21 5:10 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I had something similar at a family thing a little while ago.

Large part of my family- from my cousin who's done work at the UN to my dad's Masters degrees in Russian and Chinese history- have way more than ground-level knowledge about government and systems, and we randomly got into a conversation about the falling of the USSR and what was the real cause of it. I brought up stuff like centrally-planned economies having difficulties adapting to new technologies or stressors (my favorite theory, literally "The Fax machine killed communism"), my cousin brought up the mass amount of beurocracy and (also partially causing) copious amounts of famine... it was this cool convo until two of my uncles decided they couldn't handle it and demanded we stop, because I suppose even when you're speaking about something's failure you're still secretly supporting it? Either way, the only thing it changed was we then started not-subtlety mocking them for not being able to handle anything too "brainey".

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/21 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

By their rational, if you disagree that a movie was terrible instead of agreeing that it was good...you are fearful of said movie? Ok.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/16/21 5:47 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Some people believe that knowledge means support.  If you have read Marx then you are a communist, etc.

Makes ya wonder how their internal thought processes work - do they just latch on to the last thing they'd heard because that is what they were told to think, not questioning it?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/16/21 7:56 p.m.

Makes it really hard to have a philosophical discussion where both partys might learn something.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/16/21 8:31 p.m.

Thank you meth heads for breaking my truck window at Holiday Inn Express to steal crappy stuff.  

Stealing my worn out Spider Wire $15 Walmart sun glasses and NOT the 3-blade Case bone handle pocket knife ($50+) was a mistake.  Also you missed a heavy duty 4 way lug wrench under the seat.  Stealing my $200 Red Wing metatarsal safety shoes sucks dick.   

And stealing the guys fishing tackle box next to me is just wrong.  I mean these guys are living in a hotel for 5 weeks and fishing at night breaks it up.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/21 10:38 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

If it makes you feel better, they'll be dead in less than 10 years.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
9/17/21 9:10 a.m.

Spent the last week planning/decorating/cooking for my wife's birthday party tonight. Just one other family is invited, but enough to make it a "party" given current circumstances.

Found out this morning the other family's dad is sick with a high fever (vaccinated but still). So it will just be us and my two bro-in-laws tonight. Stuff happens, but still....dammit.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
9/17/21 11:51 a.m.

I hate fluid leaks...

Went through removing the trans in the Ram to replace the input shaft seal due to a leak, installed a Transgo kit and new seal then reinstalled. I also replaced  the rear main seal in the engine  since it was leaking. 

Now the trans front seal seams to be leaking worse than before and it looks like I need to pull it again. 

I should have thought about it and replaced the bushing at the same time I did the seal. Now I have to deal with 9 qts of fluid, and wrestle with a 46RE while working on my back with the truck on ramps for a second time. 

But first I need to help my some replace failed the transmission in his Suzuki so we aren't down to a single running vehicle in the house. Hopefully having a new clutch kit and flywheel will help the work on the Suzuki go smoothly...

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
9/17/21 12:13 p.m.

My parts that I needed for an event this weekend... that were "in stock" Tuesday... and I paid $70 to have overnighted still aren't here. And I've been on hold for over an hour to try and find out why. Aaaarrrggghhhhh!!!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/17/21 1:09 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Some people believe that knowledge means support.  If you have read Marx then you are a communist, etc.

Makes ya wonder how their internal thought processes work - do they just latch on to the last thing they'd heard because that is what they were told to think, not questioning it?

Speaking from all the threats I've received? Yes; they blindly believe and follow what they are told, and when a vacuum appears because oh say, the pandemic they claimed wasn't bad killed their leader off, they'll get lost and are more likely to resort to any amount of cult behavior, because the quasi-religion is being threatened and thus, you as an Individual are being threatened. Which is a great segway into my current problem-

I work hospital. Specifically, I'm in an ICU and one of the only men on the nursing staff, and my facility has very strict requirements on visitation and infection control because our patients end up being so compromised. I have had patients who cannot receive vaccinations because their immune systems were so shot; Quarter of the facility right now is on a ventilator and has a trach in their neck. When patients and their families come in, they are told specifically- The mask does not come off, or you will be removed from the hospital. Do not eat. Do not drink. 2 people at a time. Nobody below 12 years of age. You get one warning. Because we're strict, we've only had a very small number that HIPPA says I cannot say cases of COVID being transmitted to patients- each time it was from family breaking the rules. Each time their family members died.

Enter problem of the week. First, family refuses mask use and gets their one warning. Then to spite the facility, refuses to wear disposable gowns because of airborne precautions- then tracks it through the hospital when the leave without removing the gown. At this point I have security on speed dial and a house supervisor and CEO debating on banning them, and not doing so only because their family might not do well in the hospital without them. Then it evolves to shouting at nurses and aides, then removing masks in the room out of spite. After 3-4 go-arounds of this, I've had enough and call for security for removal. In doing this, they threaten us, threaten my CEO to her face, and threaten me because they attempted to bully their way through the hospital at one point without screening and I caught them. Things were getting so aggressive from their end that I was squaring up for a fight.

This was problem one. All day it was random people trying desperately to find someone to agree with them on how mandates are bad, how they won't get the shot... no discussion, just some person walking up demanding to know your opinion then getting angry when we didn't reciprocate, right when you'd be pulling meds or charting. The front desk had to deal with at least 3 groups of people that actually got angry with them that they wouldn't have these discussions with them. Suddenly I began thinking of carrying a nightstick or a tool because the family that got kicked was seen in the lot later on (never, ever a thought I want to have), and things have only marginally eased up.

To hell with the antimask/antivax crowd. I've literally seen them kill their own family members. They've threatened me, threatened the lives of my coworkers and friends, all for some insane death cult who promises a world that would have left them behind long ago had it not been forced to drag it's bloated carcass around like a morbid trophy. Every one of them follows the same religion- narcissism- and every one of them demands to be offended and victimized, just so they can claim to be right. I know what I really WANT To say, but man I don't think I can.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
9/17/21 1:35 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Sorry to hear you've been going through that.  I've been hate reading the Herman Cain awards and it is unbelievable how bat E36 M3 crazy things have gotten.  Daughter of the neighbor across the street just lost her best friend and her hospitalization a few weeks ago is what finally convinced her to get vaccinated.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/17/21 2:26 p.m.

The second time I was going to have to listen to one of my ex, I presume, customers talking about hydroxy horse profit bull, I held up my hand and said, "Larry, I don't have time to listen to your paranoid ramblings. You are full of E36 M3."

He looked a bit taken aback.  I hope he finds a new mechanic.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
9/17/21 6:35 p.m.

At work today, I started feeling crappy right after lunch. I started getting body aches and a headache. My lower back has been feeling like Mike Tyson used it as a punching bag. I started getting chills on the way home from work and I felt really fatigued. I got home and took my temperature; 100.2°F. I ate 800mg of ibuprofen and laid down. I woke up 3 hours later drenched in sweat.

berkeleying wonderful.

I had COVID in December 2020, and was fully vaxxed by April. I've taken all of the precautions and try to stay the berkeley away from everybody. I really hope I don't have that E36 M3 again. I'm getting tested tomorrow.

If it is Covid, I'm pretty berkeleyed. My company had a covid policy in place that allowed infinite COVID sick time (pending a positive test result) but has since removed that policy. I used all my PTO and sick time to fly home and take care of my elderly mother while my dad was in the hospital having a cancerous mass removed from his lung (non-small cell carcinoma). I'm literally negative 40 hours on sick time and negative 10 hours on PTO. I'm not prevented from taking time off, but it will be without pay. This is less than ideal.

I'd say my thoughts on what the situation is like here in Florida but it would certainly end in a fresh patio.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/17/21 8:12 p.m.

Every. Berking. Time.

win10 updates, the laptop hangs up on the reboot I didn't ask for, and it is a nail biting procedure to get it past POST so it can boot up.

Just got it chugging past POST, it started updating, then turned itself off, and I had to do the unplug power supply/remove battery/throw some chicken bones over the ashes of a sacrified animal conga to get it past POST again.

I know I really should just get another laptop, but I LIKE the HP professional series units, with the metal case and the USB ports out the wazoo and the quick access button bar above the keyboard.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/17/21 8:32 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

The second time I was going to have to listen to one of my ex, I presume, customers talking about hydroxy horse profit bull, I held up my hand and said, "Larry, I don't have time to listen to your paranoid ramblings. You are full of E36 M3."

You're seriously one of my favorite people right now.

@Stanger_Mussle: I hope you don't have Covid and it doesn't come to it, but let us know if we can help. Seriously.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/18/21 5:58 p.m.

I am a member of an organizer group related to a hobby (rollerskating) where I am apparently the only member with a blunt, direct, literal communication style.

I do not know how to communicate, "I literally mean *exactly* what I say. There is no subtext. There is no agenda. If there were an agenda, I would state so blatantly. Do not read anything into my statements beyond my surface words."

Apparently I am a bully who intimidates everyone, and I must be punished.

I am very sad. I am the longest running member of this group. I care about this group.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/18/21 6:05 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

I am a member of an organizer group related to a hobby (rollerskating) where I am apparently the only member with a blunt, direct, literal communication style.

I do not know how to communicate, "I literally mean *exactly* what I say. There is no subtext. There is no agenda. If there were an agenda, I would state so blatantly. Do not read anything into my statements beyond my surface words."

Apparently I am a bully who intimidates everyone, and I must be punished.

I am very sad. I am the longest running member of this group. I care about this group.

People love wiggle room so they can create their own Director Cut of their life and experiences. If you don't provide that it kinda scares people apparently.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/18/21 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Like... your feelings seem to be hurt easily. Why would you assume to worst interpretation of what someone says? You wouldn't want someone else assuming the worst interpretation of what YOU said.

I did have a direct conversation with the one individual most affected. Soon as I explained about my perspective as someone who does production and logistics and how and why that shapes my communication style, she was like, "Ohhhh. I get it now. I work HR and... I do not say ANYTHING that someone might possible take the wrong way."

Very different world views with a lot of this group. Everyone talks about discussions being "safe", and I'm like, "Yeah... in my world, 'safety' means things that could literally tear parts of your body off..."

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
9/18/21 6:52 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Like... your feelings seem to be hurt easily. Why would you assume to worst interpretation of what someone says? You wouldn't want someone else assuming the worst interpretation of what YOU said.

I did have a direct conversation with the one individual most affected. Soon as I explained about my perspective as someone who does production and logistics and how and why that shapes my communication style, she was like, "Ohhhh. I get it now. I work HR and... I do not say ANYTHING that someone might possible take the wrong way."

Very different world views with a lot of this group. Everyone talks about discussions being "safe", and I'm like, "Yeah... in my world, 'safety' means things that could literally tear parts of your body off..."

The problem is,it isn't a logical reaction. It's an emotional one so logic doesn't apply.

Also I bet the person mentioned in the first paragraph absolutely loves drama and wants to cause it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bvXfO5F1u4ALp3aMEQzwBryiuz1NtsWn3bKXNNsNMOJYOpLXFDr6kMiSM6gCrwIa