Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/11/22 7:41 p.m.

The rant...

Do some people never shop around? My current insurance carrier for the work fleet was set up and maintained by my business partner. He has retired so I'm having to change the contact names on everything he was responsible for. The carrier pissed me off yesterday due to their inability to change the contact on the policy without him calling to cancel the policy and me then calling to rewrite it. frown

The silver lining...

I figured since I'm going to that much trouble I might as well streamline things and change it to the insurance agent that writes our general liability and see what he could do. Turns out I will end up with better coverage for about half the price. With 4 trucks and 5 drivers and a little over 100k miles a year covered, that's a pretty significant chunk of change. 

Needless to say, I now have a new carrier. 

Now I'm wondering if I don't need to go through everything he managed and see how much more I can save. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/22 7:51 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Telling State Farm to berkeley off never felt so good.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
1/11/22 7:54 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

If this rant is in any way shape or form related to your comments on sales and estimates the other day I wouldn’t leave any stone unturned.   

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/11/22 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Interestingly enough, all of my personal stuff is through State Farm. House, cars, boats, the works. With the multi-policy discounts, nobody is cheaper enough to make it worth the hassle of changing. Also, being able to call my agent and have the problem be handled is worth something in itself.  

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/11/22 7:58 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. Time to shake the bag and see if any change falls out. Insurance, suppliers, the works. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/11/22 8:38 p.m.

Winter has hit hard this year, got the February blues already!

Turns out I put a lot of my own value in my job, which has been.. less than thrilling since swapping teams in October. I am hoping things pick up or I can swap roles again - otherwise things really get better when it gets warm again, so June? 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/11/22 8:45 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Toyman! :

Telling State Farm to berkeley off never felt so good.

My grandfather worked for Sears 1933-1963 and got a bunch of Sears stock, then Grandma got Allstate stock at some point.  My dad rolled it all over and I ended up with a bunch of Allstate stock.  

Allstate raised my rates and I bailed to State Farm.  I told my Allstate agent I'm leaving but keep the rates high so I keep getting dividend checks.  

It felt good to tell them that.  

barefootskater5000
barefootskater5000 PowerDork
1/11/22 9:01 p.m.

Really? We're doing personal attacks now? Super

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/11/22 9:08 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to dculberson :

Oh man.  That reminds me of the manager who insisted on setting his vacation-away message to reply to every e-mail received.

He was on several internal mailing lists.

It was basically a ZIP bomb in the e-mail system.  Every message from the mailing lists, including his vacation messages to them, got an auto reply..

My first job out of college, we used Novel Groupwise (Groupstupid?) for email.  Two different users set their out of office to "Reply All".  A company email was sent out to all users.  Apparently, Novell never planned for something like that to ever happen.  Within a few minutes, the resulting back and forth brought down the email servers of a major telecom company.

wae
wae PowerDork
1/11/22 9:23 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to dculberson :

Oh man.  That reminds me of the manager who insisted on setting his vacation-away message to reply to every e-mail received.

It was basically a ZIP bomb in the e-mail system.  Every message from the mailing lists, including his vacation messages to them, got an auto reply..

My first job out of college, we used Novel Groupwise (Groupstupid?) for email.  Two different users set their out of office to "Reply All".  A company email was sent out to all users.  Apparently, Novell never planned for something like that to ever happen.  Within a few minutes, the resulting back and forth brought down the email servers of a major telecom company.

I ran a Groupwise server back in The Day and you're absolutely correct, they did not plan on that at all.  Someone set an autoresponder, but it wasn't just on a new incoming message.  They had a way to send a message whenever there was a new object.  So the first messag came in and that was a new object.  Which tripped the autoresponder.  Which created two new items.  Which created two new items each.  Which created two new items each.  It took about 5 minutes before the whole Novell server E36 M3 the bed. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/22 10:24 p.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Interestingly enough, all of my personal stuff is through State Farm. House, cars, boats, the works. With the multi-policy discounts, nobody is cheaper enough to make it worth the hassle of changing. Also, being able to call my agent and have the problem be handled is worth something in itself.  

My former agent was less useful than teeth in the ass of a tiger.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/11/22 10:30 p.m.

I've come to the conclusion  (just now) that what marriage actually is, is asking what do you want to eat, and what do you want to watch TV for the remainder of  your life with no definite answers.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
1/11/22 11:53 p.m.

Felt run down on Saturday. Sinus like headache on Sunday but neti pot and Tylenol helped. Stopped up yesterday with headache but made it through the day. Chest congestion this morning getting worse but hopefully otc meds helping. Doctors office is swamped so I did the text/chat thing with a doc. Got swabbed and should know the results in 3-5 days. 
I rarely get sick. This sucks. 
-Rob

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/12/22 8:52 a.m.

Feel like E36 M3, and my arm and hand aren't really improving from running power tools this weekend. Two twelve hour days in a row at work. Have no support or anything with the new company. Have to prove finance berkeleyed up, not me. Dtill doing three jobs five months in when i was guaranteed to only be doing one by the end of October. Ten hour days five days a week is now common. Wifes been in a pissy mood and bitching at everyone around her. 

Im in an incredibly foul mood, and need to find some way to change my attitude or circumstances before i blow a gasket. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/12/22 8:58 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

drink one of these. They're delicious. Make me feel better. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/12/22 9:01 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to dculberson :

YES! I saw this happen in the same software, but it was slightly different. The head HR guy sent out some silly HR email to everyone with a link about yoga or something. The link was dead, so a thousand people replied-all to tell him the link was bad, and then five thousand replied-all to those people asking them to stop reply-all-ing. Millions of emails were generated in a few hours and it crashed email for the next day or two.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/12/22 10:19 a.m.

How is it physiologically berking possible that I can blow my nose, breathe in clear, and then be completely full of snot again before I can throw away the tissue or even breathe out.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
1/12/22 10:42 a.m.

Crashed the Echo on the way to work this morning. Downhill curve in 4th gear, back end came out (in the fwd stock Toyota, wtf), tried to correct, came around the other way and clipped an suv in the other lane on my way off the road. Could have been a lot worse for her but wasn't, thank God.

Wasn't speeding, shouldn't have been cold enough for there to be ice, salt was down, had winter tires, no tire squeal when it spun. Wtf.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/12/22 10:47 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

Bummer, I'm glad you're both OK.

Before they went to brining, some of the departments around here would put enough rock salt down to be more of a hazard than actual snow.  Did you hit anything like that?

If it was near freezing, did you drive into a shadow that might have let a little ice stay on the road?  Ground temperature is usually a few degrees colder than air temperature in the morning.  I wrecked from that one morning.  Roads were clear, temp around 34-36, but as I made my last turn I drove into the deeper shadow of my office building and instantly went sideways into the curb.  Road was invisibly icy in the bit that sun hadn't reached yet.

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
1/12/22 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Our VWs have an icy road warning. It goes off at 39F. I thought it was funny at first but it makes sense, especially if you're driving over a bridge. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/12/22 11:26 a.m.
Toyman! said:

In reply to Appleseed :

being able to call my agent and have the problem be handled is worth something in itself.  

Retired life long Allstate agent I know purchased the customers he had from his dad who retired as an Allstate agent.   

He uses insurance brokers now for his personal insurance.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
1/12/22 11:53 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

If it was near freezing, did you drive into a shadow that might have let a little ice stay on the road?  Ground temperature is usually a few degrees colder than air temperature in the morning.  I wrecked from that one morning.  Roads were clear, temp around 34-36, but as I made my last turn I drove into the deeper shadow of my office building and instantly went sideways into the curb.  Road was invisibly icy in the bit that sun hadn't reached yet.

Yeah that would make sense, those weird in between conditions. Either way my winter driving awareness pride has been humbled. Modern stability control probably would have saved my butt.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/12/22 11:56 a.m.

I should have dropped them back in 2003. I had Stare Farm, becausethats whatvthe family had. My old man had his 86 Chevy dump truck insured through them.

It was stolen. Out of a locked building. Its stick E36 M3 and governed to 65mph. The thieves blew up the 427 high deck trying tp get it moving. They never got it out if second. Tried hard enough, that they bent the shift lever. Full commercial coverage.

State Farm wouldnt cover it. The agent said it was because it was too old. The Old Man's retort was is wasnt too old to take the premium every 6 months. The worthless agent did nothing nor offered anything in return .

I've only seen him hot enough to want to take a swing at someone a few times. That was one of those times. And I've been distrustful of insurance ever since.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/12/22 12:54 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

How I started my day. I'm glad that I'm thrice vaccinated. Very mild symptoms. 

Hi, I joined this club today. So far feels like a mild fever and a slightly stuffy nose!

Our daughter got sent home from daycare Friday after they learned of exposure, and she had a99.9 fever. Was good all through the weekend and never had any symptoms but it she passed it to my wife and I 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/12/22 12:57 p.m.

I'm an idiot. 

Finally clicked in my head that I never shut the vents for the AC that are in the ceiling, of every freaking room in the house. 

Bet that will keep some heat in.

Edit. Oh good, they don't all close the whole way. Well 80% closed is still better than 100% opened. 

Do they make them with like a lever lock instead of a twist?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a4PaP0tAcrwxUdpW66PYaKd9SnJ8nyLQnJUlTGfaR1ENq8kcO971YzptYYCa6FBt