Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/14/22 7:42 p.m.
Toyman! said:
GameboyRMH said:
Toyman! said:

You can't blame this on the kids, there are only about 2 billion of them on the planet and a large portion of them have no internet access.

No it makes total sense if you have any idea how many times the kids that do have Internet access have played that video...per day.

That doesn't say much for the future of the human race if that's what we are showing our kids. That's infinitely worse than the fat purple bastard that was around when my kids were growing up. 

Kids haven't changed.

We have.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
1/14/22 8:20 p.m.
NickD said:

This could go under "TIL" or "Minor Rant" but it pissed me off, so it's going here. So today I learned that no one at GM has a clue how the cooling fans work on a new truck.

I call GM Technical Assistance Center and the engineer basically says the same thing I do: "Huh, there's no explanation of what Cooling Fan 1 and Cooling Fan 2 constitute." He proceeds to put me on hold for 30 minutes, comes back and goes "Well, I spoke to a bunch of people and nobody seems to understand how this system works or what Cooling Fan 1 or 2 are, so, uh, just go ahead and put a pair of fan motors in it." Wow, confidence-inspiring. No one at GM knows how their truck works. What, did you fire the entire cooling fan engineering staff after they finished their work on the truck?

Oh, and the fans are on intergalactic backorder.

Speaking from the other side, it didn't seem to be often that TAC reached out directly to the engineers responsible for parts. They would maybe reach out to the service engineers. But, there's likely someone responsible for releasing the physical components, and someone else responsible for the software. Clearly they missed the LH/RH and Fan 1 vs Fan 2 in the service description..

Releasing parts is hard, and there's a good chance this system was designed in 2016-2019. I wouldn't be surprised if the people initially responsible had moved on. :(

classicJackets (FS)
1/14/22 9:08 p.m.

My rant:

Got COVID and was sick for our few days consistently above freezing here. Now that I'm feeling better, temps are dropped way, way down again and won't be above 30 until Wednesday. Sigh.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/14/22 9:19 p.m.

It's like a bad dream.

I go out yesterday to start the mower to add the winterizing stuff to the fuel. It won't start. Oh well, I guess it's out of gas. My real reason was the start up the generator and make sure it's working before snowpocalypse Saturday. It started, ran for a minute, then died. No more spark. Nothing. I go into diagnosis mode, and it needs a coil. Fine. Go to the small engine place near work and buy a coil. I get it home, install it, the generator won't fire. Weird. I get out the meter, and no crap, the coil is bad. I push out the mower to steal its coil. You know where this is going? The mower coil is bad.

I figured I would throw in the cabin air filters I ordered while I am out there anyway completely screwed until tomorrow. Rockauto sent the wrong one.

Let's go inside and make sure my backup battery for CPAP use is charged. No DC cord in the box. Nice.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/14/22 9:50 p.m.
Toyman! said:

That doesn't say much for the future of the human race if that's what we are showing our kids. That's infinitely worse than the fat purple bastard that was around when my kids were growing up. 

Kids music has always been inane. If you think it's any worse these days, I have news for you: "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't be Late)" was a number one hit in 1959. NUMBER ONE. That's a much bigger deal than 10 billion plays on Netflix or whatever. It's hilarious to think that TODAY'S youth is all of a sudden more infantile and more ridiculous than any other of all time. Yeah, your parents and grandparents said the exact same thing about you.

classicJackets (FS)
1/14/22 10:06 p.m.

2nd rant: since 3 days ago, the price on a specific set of tires went from ~$80/tire to $125/tire.. I could have ordered them before, but I like the peace of mind of ordering on a payday so I skipped it. Ugh!!!

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/14/22 10:20 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

At least the Chipmunk Song has some musical quality to it and some effort was shown in the production of it. The same can't be said for the shark song. Even Barney music had more effort in the production of it. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/14/22 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

I've got that "if all the raindrops were lemon drops and gumdrops oh what a world it would be.  Standing outside with my mouth open wide, uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh..." song stuck in my head.

Don't get me started on the Wiggles.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/14/22 10:58 p.m.

In reply to Toyman! :

Again, rose colored glasses looking at the past. That chipmunk song straight up sucks.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/15/22 1:05 p.m.

In a large parking lot approaching the entrance from a side channel, not on the main feeder from the road.  I have a stop sign, girl in the car on my left doesn't.   Also has 4 cars behind her back to the street.

She stops and waves at me to go and I just give her the "huh" look and kind of gesture at everything.  She floors it through her turn.  I wait for my turn like someone that knows the traffic laws and find a parking spot near the store.

She approaches me and berates me for making her look like an idiot.

...tha berk?

Why is it that when I order something fragile (like spark plugs), they ship like this but when I order something nearly indestructible (like a cheap billet shift knob), it comes in a box the size of my microwave and is filled with padding?

Thanks Amazon angry

wae
wae PowerDork
1/15/22 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

People who don't follow the rules of right-of-way make me want to murder-kill.  It's not being nice.  It's failing to obey the rules of the road.  Those rules are there so we can make reasonable predictions about what other people are going to do and when you fail to yield right-of-way when you shouldn't or when you fail to take right-of-way when you should you're creating a hazard.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
1/15/22 4:25 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

If you think baby shark is equal to or better than the chipmunk song, I can only imagine what you like in music. 

wae
wae PowerDork
1/15/22 4:52 p.m.

Well, according to the doc, my fluid analysis says it's not gout.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/15/22 6:28 p.m.

Binge watched Cowboy Bebop, well....mostly watched 8 in a row and finished off the last 2 last night.

Pretty cool series overall and up until the end I was surprised they cancelled it after one season. Anything else out there like it? 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/15/22 6:31 p.m.

I get that you want the spot next to me. Its cold out. Thats why I parked close too. Im also bolting a kid into a car seat.  It takes a minute.  Either be patient and wait or berkeley off to the 200 other empty spots. Getting impatient and blasting by me only to park kiddie-corner when you could have done exactly that by going around pisses me off. You clip my car, there will be words. You hit me, I'm taking a swing at your head. You hit the kid, your dead where you stand.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/16/22 11:03 a.m.

Very petty and minor rant:

Why the hell are half my ads on pandora in Spanish? I don't speak Spanish. And i don't need any avocados either. 

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
1/16/22 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Before we cancelled live TV on Hulu, we were getting Honda ads in Spanish.  Only Honda ads, everything else was English.  Weird.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/16/22 11:32 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Pretty cool series overall and up until the end I was surprised they cancelled it after one season. Anything else out there like it? 

The original Cowboy Bebop that's 10x better.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/16/22 11:34 a.m.
dculberson said:
Toyman! said:

Kids music has always been inane. If you think it's any worse these days, I have news for you: "The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't be Late)" was a number one hit in 1959. NUMBER ONE. That's a much bigger deal than 10 billion plays on Netflix or whatever. It's hilarious to think that TODAY'S youth is all of a sudden more infantile and more ridiculous than any other of all time. Yeah, your parents and grandparents said the exact same thing about you.

Mr. Roger's Neighborhood had surprisingly excellent music. Just a world class jazz pianist playing around accepting being underpaid in order to bring great music to children.

Edit: I'm man enough to admit that I tear up because I'm so glad we live in a world that had Fred Rogers in it, and so sad that he's gone.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/16/22 3:39 p.m.

The Lotus Elise has taken flight, and $30k is no longer even remotely the price. Cheapest I could find was $40k, and they seem to go up from there.

Strangely, the price guide thinks average price is still cheaper than the cheapest price I was able to find.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/16/22 4:40 p.m.

In the last two and a half years- shop fridge, main kitchen fridge, air conditioner, CD player and now, freezer.  I threw out a couple of hundred dollars worth of food, cooked $50, distributed at least $300 to friends and family.

All my stuff is old...or it was, anyway.  I don't really need a deep freeze, but I do enjoy buying meat on sale.  I guess I use the sale flyers to determine what's for supper, instead of stocking up based on them.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/16/22 9:37 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

I do plan on watching it, not a huge anime fan though

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
1/17/22 8:16 a.m.

That weekend when one side of the duplex loses it's heater then your side loses it's water heater. berkeley.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/17/22 9:02 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

I do plan on watching it, not a huge anime fan though

What is it about Anime that you are not a fan of?

There are certain traits to the original anime that I think make it much better, but that other people didn't seem to care for. The live action remake was very made-for-streaming in that it doesn't expect much of its audience. It expects you will likely be splitting your attention between the show and chores/cooking/playing on your phone. It often has people talk about and explain things explicitly that the anime would just leave as a couple of silent shots, and maybe a couple words. The anime isn't high-brow pretentious artsy fart sniffing, but it expects you to actually watch it.

A friend of mine also pointed out that in the live-action, they made it more like a modern HBO drama looking at individual characters as villains, where the anime the real villains were the systemic powers of an uncaring world.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PlukbHlHHGVIBYI1tNY42Qv1ZEKwoyzLCWCGjS6VyvXolLR4f9MbsvxkUUNZYJ4f